AT&T Sues Verizon for the ads! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

Thread: AT&T Sues Verizon for the ads!

  1. #21
    Vaffanculo403's Avatar
    Vaffanculo403 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.230
    Posts
    184
    Liked
    0 times
    AT&T is probably pissed because they know at some point VZW will steal their cash cow (the iPhone) from them and all their customers will be gone...




  2. #22
    NuchDog is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal's Most Recent
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    Here is AT&T's map

    Here is Verizon's map

    I guess AT&T is pissed cause they use their "partner networks" to cover those areas.

  3. #23
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NuchDog View Post
    Here is AT&T's map

    Here is Verizon's map

    I guess AT&T is pissed cause they use their "partner networks" to cover those areas.
    No what AT&T is mas is they took only their 3G coverage map.. nothing extra no edge or anythign else they may be the fastest but they are the smallest

    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    No what AT&T is mas is they took only their 3G coverage map.. nothing extra no edge or anythign else they may be the fastest but they are the smallest
    Here is their Data map. Pay close attention to the darkest blue that represents 3G and compare to vzw's 3G area
    Last edited by jnepsa; 11-04-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: consolidation

  4. #24
    cmorty72's Avatar
    cmorty72 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow cmorty72 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In a dirty dust bowl in the SW
    PIN
    CH your money maker!!!
    Device
    Storm 9530/Soon to be Droid owner
    OS
    Something 5.0 that has been shrunk! :P
    Posts
    176
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    This is one of my personal favorites...
    YouTube - The iPhone Ad You'll Never See
    Love that one!!!

    It just cracks me up every time I see it.:laugh2:

  5. #25
    Hodges's Avatar
    Hodges is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    PIN
    312939D8
    Device
    9550
    OS
    5.0.0.607
    Posts
    450
    Liked
    4 times
    My contact over at VZW just sent me this email going over the Lawsuit and I thought I would share...

    * Wants to stop use of "misleading" maps in Verizon ads
    * Says ads are causing "incalculable" market share loss
    * AT&T asks for temporary restraining order
    * Verizon Wireless says suit without merit (Adds Verizon Wireless comment, detail from suit, background)
    NEW YORK, Nov 3 (Reuters) - AT&T Inc (
    T.N) is suing Verizon Wireless in an effort to stop its bigger mobile rival from using "misleading" coverage maps in advertisements that AT&T says are causing it to lose "incalculable market share." According to the lawsuit which AT&T filed in Atlanta federal court, a recently launched ad campaign shows maps with white spaces that mislead consumers into thinking AT&T has no network coverage outside of areas where it offers high-speed mobile services, known as third-generation or 3G.
    But AT&T argued that its customers can "fully use their wireless devices outside of a '3G' coverage area and undisputedly have coverage in areas depicted by white or blank spaces on the maps used in Verizon's advertisements."
    It asked the court for a temporary restraining order against Verizon Wireless so its rival cannot benefit from the ads while the court sets a date for a preliminary and permanent injunction hearing.
    Verizon Wireless, a venture of Verizon Communications Inc (
    VZ.N) and Vodafone Group Plc (VOD.L), said the AT&T suit was without merit. Verizon Wireless spokeswoman Nancy Stark said the ads in question "clearly state" that voice and data services are available outside 3G areas. She said the ads were intended to tell consumers about coverage for smartphones, which are used for data services.
    Since most of the U.S. population already use cellphones for phone calls, operators are depending on high-speed data service offerings to attract new customers or convince existing customers to spend more money on cell services.
    AT&T's exclusive U.S. right to sell Apple Inc's (
    AAPL.O) iPhone helped the No. 2 U.S. operator to gain market share from Verizon Wireless during the quarter ended in September. But since then, AT&T said the ads launched by Verizon in October have caused it to lose market share.
    AT&T described how the Verizon ads use maps comparing 3G coverage in the Verizon Wireless and AT&T network, using color to depict areas where each carrier has 3G and blank spaces to in areas where 3G is not available.
    Because Verizon uses white spaces in its own maps for areas where it has no coverage, consumers are incorrectly interpreting the blank spaces on the AT&T maps to mean it has no wireless coverage in those areas, AT&T said.
    "Verizon has stepped over the line of legitimate comparative advertising," AT&T said in the lawsuit.
    The case is AT&T Mobility LLC v. Cellco Partnership, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia, No. 09-3057. (Reporting by
    Sinead Carew, editing by Gerald E. McCormick and Tim Dobbyn)

  6. #26
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Thank you kbizzles! I guess this economy times are rough and even carries feel it.
    Posted via BlackBerry device

  7. #27
    Vaffanculo403's Avatar
    Vaffanculo403 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.230
    Posts
    184
    Liked
    0 times
    I hope AT&T goes bankrupt trying to fight this. They are the 2nd worst cell company I've ever had (the worst being NexTel). Their customer service reps were unfriendly and I always seemed to have billing issues.

  8. #28
    jpking's Avatar
    jpking is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow jpking On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.320
    Posts
    200
    Liked
    0 times
    I wondered when this would come up. I had AT&T for 8 years (Blackberry's & iPhones) & their 3G is WAAAYY faster than Verizon's 3G. In fact AT&T's EDGE, which is available almost everywhere (probably equivalent to the 'red' on Verizon's map) is the same speed as Verizon's 3G. AT&T's 3G is available is less area, but is much faster than Verizon 3G. So in short, AT&T's EDGE & Verizon's 3G are essentially the same speeds with approximately the same coverage. While AT&T's 3G is much faster, with less coverage.

  9. #29
    sunkast Guest
    MobileCrunch has a leaked AT&T memo that explains how their reps should handle the issue when anyone asks about the lawsuit. It's kind of funny how lame this lawsuit really is in my opinion. Pretty much the reps are to say AT&T is awesome.

    Read the memo on MobileCrunch

  10. #30
    BlackBerryBoss is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow BlackBerryBoss On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL & Naples, FL
    PIN
    21F53069
    Device
    Onyx 9700
    OS
    6.0.0.344
    Posts
    62
    Liked
    0 times
    Finally these stupid commercials are going to be taken off air. I am surprised they didnt see a lawsuit sooner considering they stole the "There is an App for that" Apple commercial phrase, and simply replaced App with Map (WOW so creative VZ! Not.) and then the whole ATT slander. I am so put off by how VZW works - ick ick.

    Oh and has anyone noticed the introduction of THREE YEAR contracts. WTFFFFFFFFF:aargh4:

  11. #31
    jpking's Avatar
    jpking is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow jpking On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.320
    Posts
    200
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBerryBoss View Post
    Finally these stupid commercials are going to be taken off air. I am surprised they didnt see a lawsuit sooner considering they stole the "There is an App for that" Apple commercial phrase, and simply replaced App with Map (WOW so creative VZ! Not.) and then the whole ATT slander. I am so put off by how VZW works - ick ick.

    Oh and has anyone noticed the introduction of THREE YEAR contracts. WTFFFFFFFFF:aargh4:

    ...aaannddd the early termination fee going from $175 to $350 starting Nov 15th?!

  12. #32
    Goldwinger's Avatar
    Goldwinger is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canton, GA
    PIN
    30f79184
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    The One That Works!!
    Posts
    87
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jpking View Post
    I wondered when this would come up. I had AT&T for 8 years (Blackberry's & iPhones) & their 3G is WAAAYY faster than Verizon's 3G. In fact AT&T's EDGE, which is available almost everywhere (probably equivalent to the 'red' on Verizon's map) is the same speed as Verizon's 3G. AT&T's 3G is available is less area, but is much faster than Verizon 3G. So in short, AT&T's EDGE & Verizon's 3G are essentially the same speeds with approximately the same coverage. While AT&T's 3G is much faster, with less coverage.
    Since I won't do business with AT&T for other reasons, I'll take what you say as true since I don't have anything that would tell me different, HOWEVER, your post makes me want to ask this question, why are you on Verizon if you think AT&T is so great? I see you have a Storm and just wanted to know why you support AT&T with your words but not your money. just curious and please don't tell me it just for the phone because the first Storm and OS 4.7.0.68 would make anyone run to a Bold if they had the choice.

    It just seems funny that AT&T is not claiming that it's not TRUE, just that it's misleading. So I have to ask the question, does AT&T have 3G in the white spaces that Verizon shows on the map or not?

    Is Verizon being snarky with this add, well of course they are, but are they misleading anyone about 3G coverage, I don't think so, but if there are folks out there that think this means that AT&T doesn't have cell phone coverage in those areas, well then maybe those type folks shouldn't have a cell phone to begin with, they probably think you can take a nap with the car on cruse control. :laugh2:

  13. #33
    Vaffanculo403's Avatar
    Vaffanculo403 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.230
    Posts
    184
    Liked
    0 times
    ^^^that last part literally made me LOL

  14. #34
    cj100570's Avatar
    cj100570 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow cj100570 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    PIN
    306051B3
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .328
    Posts
    132
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    you mean MAP for that :laugh2:



    The map VZW uses for VZW 3g is only their coverage none of their 'patners', and the same goes with the AT&T map.. they are using the same base for either one so it seems pointless to me.
    Hopefully the judge or whoever hears this case will understand that the commercial is comparing apples to apples; 3G service and not service as a whole and toss AT&T and their lawyers out on their asses along with this frivolous lawsuit. If they'd fix their crappy network Verizon wouldn't be able to pick on them about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Semper Paratus"

  15. #35
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Folks I know carriers can be a hott topic.. but lets try to keep the level of attitude to a small amount here.. No need to get rude with each other

  16. #36
    newberry's Avatar
    newberry is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    greater seattle area
    PIN
    just ask
    Device
    9530
    OS
    5.0.0.191
    Posts
    135
    Liked
    0 times
    watches the commercial again, man i loved the first time i seen it on tv

  17. #37
    jpking's Avatar
    jpking is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow jpking On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.320
    Posts
    200
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
    Since I won't do business with AT&T for other reasons, I'll take what you say as true since I don't have anything that would tell me different, HOWEVER, your post makes me want to ask this question, why are you on Verizon if you think AT&T is so great? I see you have a Storm and just wanted to know why you support AT&T with your words but not your money. just curious and please don't tell me it just for the phone because the first Storm and OS 4.7.0.68 would make anyone run to a Bold if they had the choice.

    It just seems funny that AT&T is not claiming that it's not TRUE, just that it's misleading. So I have to ask the question, does AT&T have 3G in the white spaces that Verizon shows on the map or not?

    Is Verizon being snarky with this add, well of course they are, but are they misleading anyone about 3G coverage, I don't think so, but if there are folks out there that think this means that AT&T doesn't have cell phone coverage in those areas, well then maybe those type folks shouldn't have a cell phone to begin with, they probably think you can take a nap with the car on cruse control. :laugh2:
    I'm not saying AT&T is so great, or that it's better than Verizon. Just stating my opinion of the difference in 3G speeds. AT&T does not have 3G coverage in the white areas on the map, but DOES have EDGE, which is just as fast as Verizon's 3G (GSM 3G is much faster than CDMA 3G). So AT&T's 3G is quite a bit faster, just not nearly as much coverage (as shown by the map). And yes, a big part of the reason why I'm with Verizon is because of the Storm (among other things). I had a couple iPhones with AT&T, but got frustrated with the fact that the phone is so locked down. Apple is waaayyy too strict on their permissions and what you can and CAN'T do with their phone. I've always been a BB fan. And yes, the Storm did suck when I first got it, but the hybrids on this site made it much more bearable, plus the freedom to actually be able to PUT these hybrids on, and do as I choose with my phone ...unlike Apple. I apologize if it sounded like I was bashing Verizon. Like I said, just stating my opinion on the 3G thing.

  18. #38
    diverbelow is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vancouver WA
    Device
    9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    82
    Liked
    0 times
    If we are talking about AT&T 3G speeds, AT&T does not have the fastest 3G speeds as far carriers go. Over at BGR, they had their users give them speed data and if I remember correctly, AT&T came in 3rd. Sprint was 1st and TMO came in 2nd.

  19. #39
    paymentd is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    PIN
    30B82418
    Device
    9630
    OS
    5.0.0.230
    Posts
    33
    Liked
    0 times
    It seems the best part of this whole thing is that people are forgetting that AT&T was already revved up about losing their roaming agreements with their largest GSM roaming partner in rural America, Alltel Wireless...

    Hence the reason why VZW could post their new controversial 3G coverage map... AT&T really doesn't have the coverage after losing their roaming agreements.

    AT&T is pissed, because their coverage is SHRINKING. lol.
    "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." - A. Einstein

  20. #40
    paymentd is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    PIN
    30B82418
    Device
    9630
    OS
    5.0.0.230
    Posts
    33
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jpking View Post
    I'm not saying AT&T is so great, or that it's better than Verizon. Just stating my opinion of the difference in 3G speeds. AT&T does not have 3G coverage in the white areas on the map, but DOES have EDGE, which is just as fast as Verizon's 3G (GSM 3G is much faster than CDMA 3G). So AT&T's 3G is quite a bit faster, just not nearly as much coverage (as shown by the map). And yes, a big part of the reason why I'm with Verizon is because of the Storm (among other things). I had a couple iPhones with AT&T, but got frustrated with the fact that the phone is so locked down. Apple is waaayyy too strict on their permissions and what you can and CAN'T do with their phone. I've always been a BB fan. And yes, the Storm did suck when I first got it, but the hybrids on this site made it much more bearable, plus the freedom to actually be able to PUT these hybrids on, and do as I choose with my phone ...unlike Apple. I apologize if it sounded like I was bashing Verizon. Like I said, just stating my opinion on the 3G thing.
    3G Speed ? CDMA vs GSM

    Typical Average Speed - bps
    CDMA Up Link Down Link
    EVDO-A 450-850K 300-400K
    EVDO-0 300-500K 60- 90K
    1xRTT 60- 90K 60- 90K

    GSM
    HDSPA 500-800K 200-300K
    UMTS 220-320K 220-320K
    EDGE 70- 90K 50- 60K
    GRPS 30- 50K 30- 50K

    Theoretical Max Speed - bps
    CDMA Up Link Down Link
    EVDO-A 3.1M 1.8M
    EVDO-0 2.4M 154K
    1xRTT 154K 154K

    GSM
    HDSPA 1.8M 384K
    UMTS 384K 384K
    EDGE 236K 118K
    GRPS 76K 76K

    ...I don't know, it seems like CDMA is the way of the future.
    "It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." - A. Einstein

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •