How to send and receive SMS Text Messages while using a BlackBerry PlayBook
Here is a very nice tutorial I came across by Ty W. while on the InsideBB Help Blog. The tutorial covers how to setup, send, and receive SMS on your BlackBerry PlayBook. Ever since the release of the new OS 2.1, user have now been able to enjoy this feature. Check out the full tutorial below:
In order to access your text messages on your tablet, you’ll need to ensure you have BlackBerry Bridge 2.1 installed on your BlackBerry smartphone.
Here’s a quick overview of how to ensure you are running the latest version of BlackBerry Bridge on your smartphone and upgrade it if needed.
Before We Begin
In case you aren’t familiar with the BlackBerry Bridge app, you can use it to pair your BlackBerry smartphone with a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to get even more features. To learn more about the capabilities offered by BlackBerry Bridge, such as the ability to control a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet remotely, check out the full description which can be found on the BlackBerry App World™ storefront as well as checking out the BlackBerry Bridge section in the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet user guide.
Upgrading BlackBerry Bridge using BlackBerry App World
Provided you’ve updated your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1, the next step is upgrading to BlackBerry Bridge 2.1 on your smartphone so you have the ability to access text messages (SMS) on your tablet. For those who haven’t upgraded their tablets yet, all you need to do is select Settings on the Home screen followed by Software Updates. Tap on “Check For Updates,” and when prompted, perform the update to upgrade to BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1.
Assuming your tablet is now running BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1, upgrading to the BlackBerry Bridge version 2.1 on your smartphone is really quick. After the upgrade is complete, you’ll notice a new icon for Text Messages appears in the BlackBerry Bridge folder on your tablet. With that being said, to upgrade BlackBerry Bridge on your smartphone, complete the following steps.
- Open BlackBerry App World and select “My World”
- Select BlackBerry Bridge and select “Upgrade”
For those that do not have BlackBerry Bridge currently installed on their smartphone, you have two options to download and install it:
Option 1 – Using a BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet
- Using a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, select Settings from the Home screen followed by selecting “BlackBerry Bridge”
- Tap “Setup”, enter a name for your tablet (i.e. My PlayBook) and tap “Next”
- Select “Install Now” and follow the instructions to scan the barcode that is displayed using your smartphone.
Option 2 – Using the BlackBerry smartphone Browser
- Open the BlackBerry® Browser on your smartphone
- Enter the following URL: Free BlackBerry Bridge - Download BlackBerry Bridge - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
Help! I still can’t see Text Messages on my tablet after upgrading!
In the event you upgraded to BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 as well as updating BlackBerry Bridge on your smartphone to version 2.1 and you still can’t see text messages, a quick review of your BlackBerry Bridge options might solve the issue. To review and customize what information BlackBerry Bridge displays on your tablet – such as the ability to show your text messages – complete the following steps.
- On your smartphone, open BlackBerry Bridge
- Press the Menu key and select “Device Properties”
- A listing of items that will be displayed on your tablet (provided they are checked off) is displayed
- Verify “Text Messages” in checked (it’s the last option in the list).