45 lessons of Life
I was just emailed this...it is cool, if you care! I am unsure where number 45 is though!
Written By Regina Brett, 90 years old, of The
Plain Dealer, Cleveland , Ohio
"To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught me. It is the most-requested column I've ever written. My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:"
1. Life isn't fair, but it's still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Your job won't take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It's more healing than crying alone.
8. It's OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won't screw up the present.
12. It's OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn't be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks.
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
17. Get rid of anything that isn't useful, beautiful or joyful.
18. Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don't take no for an answer.
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
23. Be eccentric now. Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
24. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
25. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ''In five years, will this matter?".
26. Always choose life.
27. Forgive everyone everything.
28. What other people think of you is none of your business.
29. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
30. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
31. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
32. Believe in miracles.
33. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
34. Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
35. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young.
36. Your children get only one childhood.
37. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
38. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
39. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd
grab ours back.
40. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
41. The best is yet to come.
42. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
44. Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
That's great d_1000!!! Life is precious and too short. :)
I agree. I like those! Especially #3. I hold that one to heart...2 days before HS graduation, I got into an argument with a friend, Savannah. Told her I hated her and walked out and drove home...The next day at graduation rehearsal she got into a car accident and didn't make it. So for 8 years now, I've hated myself now for tellign her I hate her and never got to tell her I am sorry. The next day at actual graduation was one of the hardest things I had to face. We were sitting by last name..She was right next to me..Empty chair, her father came up and accepted her diploma. So, long story short. Don't ever tell anyone you hate them. Even if you don't mean it.
That's very touching Brett. I am really sorry. :)
Originally Posted by BlackberryOS
Wow. I am really sorry. I certainly hope that you either have let it go or will find a way to let it go.
Originally Posted by BlackberryOS
I am 44 and about 8 years ago, I was finally able to put several unfortunate chapters behind me from college...it was a great feeling!! Healing is a great thing.