Article: RIM Earnings Call: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Article: RIM Earnings Call: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

  1. #1
    mikelcal's Avatar
    mikelcal is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow mikelcal On Twitter Add mikelcal on Facebook Visit mikelcal's Youtube Channel
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    PIN
    24DA6893
    Device
    Z10 (STL-3)
    OS
    10.2.0.1803
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    232
    Liked
    20 times

    Article: RIM Earnings Call: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly





  2. #2
    Neil Wick's Avatar
    Neil Wick is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Device
    9790
    OS
    7.0
    Carrier
    Telus
    Posts
    4
    Liked
    0 times
    I like this comment on the PlayBook, that "the
    16GB model was not discontinued, it simply sold out." I really disliked one headline in the Globe and Mail along the lines of "RIM axes 16 GB PlayBook," using unnecessarily violent language for an act of simply discontinuing a listing in the catalogue.

    It's not technically true that "
    there is more money going out than there is coming in." Although they lost money "on paper," you'll notice that they ended up with more "cash and cash equivalents" than they started out the quarter with.

  3. #3
    Joe Jerde's Avatar
    Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    10.0.9.2743
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Posts
    7,814
    Liked
    1502 times
    Great read, bro. The Mayan reference I got a good laugh out of.

  4. #4
    ice2921's Avatar
    ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.684
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,544
    Liked
    751 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wick View Post
    I like this comment on the PlayBook, that "the
    16GB model was not discontinued, it simply sold out." I really disliked one headline in the Globe and Mail along the lines of "RIM axes 16 GB PlayBook," using unnecessarily violent language for an act of simply discontinuing a listing in the catalogue.

    It's not technically true that "
    there is more money going out than there is coming in." Although they lost money "on paper," you'll notice that they ended up with more "cash and cash equivalents" than they started out the quarter with.
    Actually I am sorry to say, but the 16 GB PlayBook model has been officially discontinued.

    BlackBerryOS.com - RIM Confirms The 16 GB PlayBook Will Be Discontinued

  5. #5
    rngeek1966 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow rngeek1966 On Twitter Add rngeek1966 on Facebook Add rngeek1966 on Google+ Add rngeek1966 on Linkedin Visit rngeek1966's Youtube Channel
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wagram, NC
    PIN
    333DD648
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.2.1.1055
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Posts
    62
    Liked
    10 times
    I'm with you Nick, there has been so much negative misleading publicity.
    ice2921 likes this.

  6. #6
    F0xx386 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Device
    Curve 9360
    OS
    V 7.1.0.391
    Carrier
    MTN
    Posts
    34
    Liked
    6 times
    Most people forget that android is a free os like linux.

    What does this mean?
    1. Mobile makers don't have to fork out cash to develop their own os.
    This leaves companies like Samsung free to push that money that would have gone to Os development directed to hardware specs and design. This is explains why they were able to release phones that were packing a punch hardware wise.

    While Rim may used equal to amount of their revenue but it was divided to both os development and raw phone design and hardware assignment.

    In saying that don't forget that the makers of Android were now free from hardware production and phone designs. Thus android developed quickly into a monster Os.


    THIS is what so-called fans of RIM in their dim view don't get, they complained about lack of delivery by rim, dissatisfied with low processor speeds and ram etc.
    This jump by many users to android without understanding of economics and hard cash management that goes to mobile development or any business undertaking for that matter.

    The problem with an idiot he doesn't know he is one otherwise he would be intelligent.
    Last edited by F0xx386; 06-30-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar

  7. #7
    ignites's Avatar
    ignites is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow ignites On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Device
    9900, PB
    OS
    7.1.0.746 & 2.1.0
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Posts
    248
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by F0xx386 View Post
    Most people forget that android is a free os like linux.

    What does this mean?
    1. Mobile makers don't have to fork out cash to develop their own os.
    This leaves companies like Samsung free to push that money that would have gone to Os development directed to hardware specs and design. This is explains why they were able to release phones that were packing a punch hardware wise.

    While Rim may used equal to amount of their revenue but it was divided to both os development and raw phone design and hardware assignment.

    In saying that don't forget that the makers of Android were now free from hardware production and phone designs. Thus android developed quickly into a monster Os.


    THIS is what so-called fans of RIM in their dim view don't get, they complained about lack of delivery by rim, dissatisfied with low processor speeds and ram etc.
    This jump by many users to android without understanding of economics and hard cash management that goes to mobile development or any business undertaking for that matter.

    The problem with an idiot he doesn't know he is one otherwise he would be intelligent.
    while RIM may have higher cost in developing their own OS there are two things to keep in mind

    1) Samsung and other manufactures still have to build drivers and test their OS despite not building that OS to make it optimize / suitable for their device. To steal a line from RIM 'it may be their fault but it is our problem' from samsung's prescriptive if a phone they sell sucks because of OS, it is their problem to deal with, this for testers maybe a even more tedious thing to do if the OS you are working on is not developed by your own company. In addition to testing that has to be done, OEMs have to customize their OS to differentiate from other Andriod devices, although this is not a hard process, one could argue not much in terms of margins is saved by taking on another OS for your usage.
    2) A large chunk of RIM's profit comes from its enterprise users (BES) where security is of highest concern to these users, Andriod would simply not cut it. This group of enterprise customers are core to RIM's bottom-line in terms of profit both from a hardware and mobile solutions perspective and if RIM were to change from BBOS/QNX to Android many of these customers would leave as RIM no longer have a competitive advantage from a security perspective and from a differentiation perspective, these companies may be more open to other devices if the standards allow for Android devices to be used in that environment
    ice2921 likes this.

  8. #8
    mikelcal's Avatar
    mikelcal is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow mikelcal On Twitter Add mikelcal on Facebook Visit mikelcal's Youtube Channel
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    PIN
    24DA6893
    Device
    Z10 (STL-3)
    OS
    10.2.0.1803
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    232
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ice2921 View Post
    Actually I am sorry to say, but the 16 GB PlayBook model has been officially discontinued.

    BlackBerryOS.com - RIM Confirms The 16 GB PlayBook Will Be Discontinued
    Right, but it was discontinued because it SOLD out.. LOL see now we're going in circles.

  9. #9
    ice2921's Avatar
    ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.684
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,544
    Liked
    751 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelcal View Post
    Right, but it was discontinued because it SOLD out.. LOL see now we're going in circles.
    It was discontinued because RIM felt as though there was no need for it.

    There is more value for our customers in the higher capacity models (32 GB, 64 GB), and as such we have decided to focus our efforts here." -RIM
    Last edited by ice2921; 07-01-2012 at 06:48 AM.

  10. #10
    AgentBlackBerry's Avatar
    AgentBlackBerry is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow AgentBlackBerry On Twitter Add AgentBlackBerry on Facebook Add AgentBlackBerry on Google+
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York
    PIN
    2ADD0724
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.2.0.1443
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,015
    Liked
    478 times
    I mean you're both right actually. They didn't make more 16 GB PBs because there was more value to the customers in providing 32GB and 64GB versions. However, they did technically sell out because there are no longer any 16GB PlayBooks just chillen at RIM waiting for something.

    Kudos to both.

  11. #11
    ignites's Avatar
    ignites is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow ignites On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Device
    9900, PB
    OS
    7.1.0.746 & 2.1.0
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Posts
    248
    Liked
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentBlackBerry View Post
    I mean you're both right actually. They didn't make more 16 GB PBs because there was more value to the customers in providing 32GB and 64GB versions. However, they did technically sell out because there are no longer any 16GB PlayBooks just chillen at RIM waiting for something.

    Kudos to both.
    Lol agentblackberry our very own UN peacekeeper from new york.

  12. #12
    ice2921's Avatar
    ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.684
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,544
    Liked
    751 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ignites View Post
    Lol agentblackberry our very own UN peacekeeper from new york.
    No peace was broken just a simple discussion.

  13. #13
    veeru789 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow veeru789 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hyderabad, India
    Device
    ZEDLORD & PB
    OS
    10.0.10.82 & 2.1
    Carrier
    Barathi Airtel
    Posts
    105
    Liked
    22 times
    I think RIM should hire a public relations guy to handle the media. Some one who can be in touch 24/7 with journos and keep feeding them news and make sure they add a little positive tone to what ever they write. Hate to say this, but spend some money on media if required.

  14. #14
    grimreaper's Avatar
    grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    T-Dot, ON
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Posts
    1,635
    Liked
    497 times
    This is an excellent article mikelcal and we thank you

    I would have to agree with veeru789

    I'm not familiar with their RIM PR department, put a little spin on the positive side of news to the media would help a lot more than you can imagine.
    ice2921 likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Discuss: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly for RIM
    By mikelcal in forum BlackBerry News and Rumors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2012, 05:08 PM
  2. RIM Earnings Call: Rough Present But Hopeful Future
    By AgentBlackBerry in forum BlackBerry News and Rumors
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •