Tour Hybrid50v6.0 Released (18.104.22.168/22.214.171.124/126.96.36.1997) 10/19/2009
Updated some files to 188.8.131.527 Next build will be a Media fix if possible.
Tour Hybrid v7.0 Released (184.108.40.206 Based) 9/24/2009
If you like my stuff http://theiexplorers.com/irtehun/btn_donate_SM.gifQuote:
1. (For BES users) You have to actually wait for your device to reactivate, which for me is a long process since I have ~1700 contacts and a ton of notes, etc.
2. You can back-up from a .ipd back-up, but then again, you may over-write something you didn't want to. However, if you don't restore, you lose any e-mails, etc. that you had on the device.
3. Assuming you do not do #2 above, you have to redownload and install/setup OTA installs (I actually like to reinstall via OTA - just my preference.
LXADOZ104's EASY UPGRADE PROCESS TO IRTEHUN'S TOUR HYBRID O/S
STEP 1: LOAD/RESTORE BASE 4.7 O/S
- simply reinstall (or install for the first time) the base manufacturer O/S. If you've already installed, simply reinstall and choose "repair"
STEP 2: DOWNLOAD IRTEHUN HYBRID O/S, INSTALL/EXTRACT
- I use the .rar and extract files to a temp folder and then copy over base files. The installer will do this for you automatically.
STEP 3: RUN SHRINK-A-OS
- If you use installer, Irtehun's Hybrid will place the .exe in the base folder as follows:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9630-v220.127.116.11_P18.104.22.168
- Simply run this and select what you do not want to install
- I recommend all language files, remove AIM, Flickr, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Default Backgrounds, Help Files, Setup Wizard, TTY, VCAST, Vodaphone, VZNavigator.
- After the Shrink, the OS is ~44.37MB.
- All the files removed are placed in a folder created by Shrink-A-OS here:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9630-v22.214.171.124_P126.96.36.199\Java\RemovedFiles
- I manually remove the following files that are not caught by Shrink-A-OS:
- New size of OS install (JAVA folder) 36.90MB
STEP 4: RUN LOADER.EXE (FROM SHRINK-A-OS)
- This will install the changed files
- Make sure and check to back-up and restore applications and settings/etc.
- NOTE that this step takes 15-30 minutes depending on amount of data to restore (15 minutes just for the load of updated files, another 15 minutes to restore the back-up created as part of the loader process.
STEP 5: RECONNECT TO DESKTOP MANAGER - this step ensures your mail settings are transferred
STEP 6: POWER DEVICE / VALIDATE INSTALL / REBOOT
- it may take a day to work out delays/etc., don't get too worked up, but it's important to note here what applications you are having problems with.
OPTIONAL STEPS (may or may not be necessary, really depends on a variety of issues)
A. Resend service books for BIS accounts
B. *228 (PRL Update)
C. Reboots (multiple times)
D. Re-setup software (license/legal/etc. agreements)
Having done the wipe-method using JL_Cmder tonight, this is my preferred approach. Here is the process for doing a complete wipe. This also assumes you have your device on a BES, as I do, as such, I don't restore from a back-up.
LXADOZ104'S PREFERRED UPGRADE PROCESS TO IRTEHUN TOUR O/S HYBRID:
STEPS 1-3: SAME AS ABOVE
STEP 4: BACK-UP DEVICE FULLY
- connect your device to the computer, run desktop manager, and do a full back-up. Add something to the back-up (.ipd) file that reminds you this back-up is a pre-upgrade back-up.
- NOTE: I only restore messages...personal preference. See restore step below
STEP 5: RUN JL_CDMER TO WIPE DEVICE
- I suggest you follow this guide for instructions on this (it's what I did):
STEP 6: LOAD O/S VIA DESKTOP MANAGER
- Click on Application Loader
- Choose Update Software
- NOTE: If you are connected to the internet, you'll get two choices, the "preferred" choice is the base O/S, do not select this option. Even better, don't have your computer connected to the internet. This step may confuse you, but just make sure you select the "LOCAL" device software on your computer. This is the version that you have modified and shrunk :)
STEP 7: TURN ON DEVICE/RADIO, RE-ACTIVATE WITH BES
- My BES typically stores some settings, so I let this occur completely
STEP 8: RESTORE MESSAGES/APPS/ETC. VIA DESKTOP MANAGER
- I go to "BACKUP/RESTORE" option and choose "ADVANCED". I only restore messages so I have copies of e-mails that won't be resent by BES. All other PIM data is restored via activation, and I prefer to reinstall applications.
STEP 9: REINSTALL OTA APPLICATIONS AS NEEDED
- hey, why not enjoy your Rev. A device and the speed of installing software!
FINAL NOTES: GIVE THE DEVICE A FULL DAY TO "NORMALIZE"
- it just seems that the device takes some time to get normal. After an upgrade, you may have a lag here and there, but unless the device is completely locking up, or unusable, don't worry - it will work itself out. That's what the forum is for..