Setup a BES
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Setup a BES

  1. #1
    cveklund is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    League City, TX
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    BBC
    Posts
    126
    Liked
    1 times

    Setup a BES

    My father has a small company that we have our calendars setup on in sub folders in outlook. I have the storm and he currently has a winmo device.(hoping to change that for him) We were looking at setting up an exchange server to setup a BB enterprise server. I see that bes is like 3000. if we both had BB, how would we set it up? I know enough about networks to get into trouble, but not a lot about exchange and/or bes. We don't have email for our company, at least not yet. We aren't sure where to start. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Chris




  2. #2
    sunkast Guest
    Hey cveklund,

    I do not know much in the way of setting up and operating BES. I will see if I can find someone on here who does and search around for you. Also, are you just wanting to have two devices? Or would you want to expand to more? I'm wonder whether or not spending the money and time setting up a BES server would be the best option for you if all you want is to manage two devices.
    Last edited by sunkast; 07-16-2009 at 02:43 PM.

  3. #3
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cveklund View Post
    My father has a small company that we have our calendars setup on in sub folders in outlook. I have the storm and he currently has a winmo device.(hoping to change that for him) We were looking at setting up an exchange server to setup a BB enterprise server. I see that bes is like 3000. if we both had BB, how would we set it up? I know enough about networks to get into trouble, but not a lot about exchange and/or bes. We don't have email for our company, at least not yet. We aren't sure where to start. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    Jlevy73 would be a good person to ask, as he has BES set up for his business.

  4. #4
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    Hey cveklund,

    I do not know much in the way of setting up and operating BES. I will see if I can find someone on here who does and search around for you. Also, are you just wanting to have two devices? Or would you want to expand to more? I'm wonder whether or not spending the money and time setting up a BES server would be the best option for you if all you want is to manage two devices.
    I just want to +1 to this. With only 2 phones right now, even if you expand later. You can always add a BES down the road. They are fairly expensive to run and maintain. With things like google sync and other contact sync stuff, you dont really need it for 2 phones.

  5. #5
    cveklund is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    League City, TX
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    BBC
    Posts
    126
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, for right now it is only two phones, maybe 3 or 4, but no more anytime soon. Is there any other way to have the phones sync the calendars and contacts? If it is only one of the calenders to one and the other to the second phone? Kinda off subject, but we are conidering seting up an email and a website for the business. Where is the best place to get a domain from and would the emails work to the phones and the office computer?

  6. #6
    bdube's Avatar
    bdube is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow bdube On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lubbock, TX aka Texa
    PIN
    all u gott
    Device
    VZW Storm 9530
    OS
    Changes too often to
    Posts
    518
    Liked
    0 times
    as far as my knowledge goes, the only way to sync calanders and contacts straight from server to bb is on BES, if you have you calendars on google however, you can download google sync and set it to auto sync, and every so often it will sync any updates you may have done.

    i dont know much about domain hosting however you can always get any email to your bb and office computer from any domain.


    If you do want to go the way of a BES type setup i would suggest giving this a try: Welcome to Google Apps it has a free 30 day trial so you can see how well everything works before dropping so much money for BES

  7. #7
    bdube's Avatar
    bdube is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow bdube On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lubbock, TX aka Texa
    PIN
    all u gott
    Device
    VZW Storm 9530
    OS
    Changes too often to
    Posts
    518
    Liked
    0 times
    you can also take a look at this BBerrysync - OTA Sync

  8. #8
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cveklund View Post
    Yes, for right now it is only two phones, maybe 3 or 4, but no more anytime soon. Is there any other way to have the phones sync the calendars and contacts? If it is only one of the calenders to one and the other to the second phone? Kinda off subject, but we are conidering seting up an email and a website for the business. Where is the best place to get a domain from and would the emails work to the phones and the office computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdube View Post
    as far as my knowledge goes, the only way to sync calanders and contacts straight from server to bb is on BES, if you have you calendars on google however, you can download google sync and set it to auto sync, and every so often it will sync any updates you may have done.

    i dont know much about domain hosting however you can always get any email to your bb and office computer from any domain.


    If you do want to go the way of a BES type setup i would suggest giving this a try: Welcome to Google Apps it has a free 30 day trial so you can see how well everything works before dropping so much money for BES
    Quote Originally Posted by bdube View Post
    you can also take a look at this BBerrysync - OTA Sync
    you can sync calendars by using google sync. you will need your calendars to be on google(using gmail) but it is all free works really well, and is simple. Right now i have mine and my wifes set up, we actuall y have 3 calendars on google calendar, and we sync them to 2 differnt berrys, what you put in from your berry or computer can be sync'd to the other. BES would be the way to go if you have a larger small buis..with probably at least 7-10 BB or a corprate server

  9. #9
    scotsman88's Avatar
    scotsman88 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    PIN
    PM me...
    Device
    changes daily...
    OS
    latest and greatest
    Posts
    143
    Liked
    0 times
    you can goto the official BES page and try the 60-day trial...
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange

    or if you want to something a little less complex, but risky...google around for "BB Unite"
    it's the small business version of BES...and it was discontinued....but there are versions around the internet to download and fool around with...but like i said - risky...no support

  10. #10
    cveklund is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    League City, TX
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    BBC
    Posts
    126
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you guys for the help. I am going to try the free google first and then work my up if that doesnt work.

  11. #11
    Kris's Avatar
    Kris is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow Kris On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atwater, California,
    Posts
    1,507
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bdube View Post
    you can also take a look at this BBerrysync - OTA Sync
    wow i will be getting this for sure :-)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •