Radio Signal Strength
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Radio Signal Strength

  1. #1
    painlessone is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Calif.
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    v.5.0.0.328 4.2.0.128
    Posts
    86
    Liked
    0 times

    Radio Signal Strength

    To check the quality of your radio go to Options/Status. The number will tell you how good a signal you are receiving. It is opposite of what you might think, as the lower the number the stronger the signal.
    I didn't know this until I was having trouble with Vlingo timing out and they sent me the following reply:

    "Vlingo works best with a strong network signal. Click BlackBerry Options -> Status. Ideally you want to see Signal somewhere between 0 and -100 dBm. The closer to 0, the better (though you’ll probably never see much lower than -80 or so – this would indicate a very strong signal). A value beyond -100 dBm indicates a weak signal and you may experience timeouts. Move to an area where you have a better signal."




  2. #2
    Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Posts
    3,385
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by painlessone View Post
    To check the quality of your radio go to Options/Status. The number will tell you how good a signal you are receiving. It is opposite of what you might think, as the lower the number the stronger the signal.
    I didn't know this until I was having trouble with Vlingo timing out and they sent me the following reply:

    "Vlingo works best with a strong network signal. Click BlackBerry Options -> Status. Ideally you want to see Signal somewhere between 0 and -100 dBm. The closer to 0, the better (though you’ll probably never see much lower than -80 or so – this would indicate a very strong signal). A value beyond -100 dBm indicates a weak signal and you may experience timeouts. Move to an area where you have a better signal."
    Great tip! :fing02: Thanks for sharing

  3. #3
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Thanks for posting this should help out a lot of people that didn't know about this.

  4. #4
    jayr's Avatar
    jayr is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow jayr On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    los angeles
    Device
    9630
    OS
    4.7.1.61
    Posts
    57
    Liked
    0 times
    and here's a table that translates the numbers into bars

    source

  5. #5
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jayr View Post
    and here's a table that translates the numbers into bars

    source
    Outstanding find :You_Rock_Emoticon:

  6. #6
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Nice find but what I find a little odd is that I have never seen my phone less that -80 with 5 bars.

  7. #7
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Nice find but what I find a little odd is that I have never seen my phone less that -80 with 5 bars.
    your such a downer me neither

  8. #8
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    your such a downer me neither
    Just pointing out the fact Idaho Bob :loser:

  9. #9
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Just pointing out the fact Idaho Bob :loser:
    Speaking of Idaho I found a shirt for you what size are you?


  10. #10
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    XL please that way I can hide my flux bluetooth capacitor under it

  11. #11
    cruznthru's Avatar
    cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Liked
    5 times

    Change Radio Signal Strength to Digital

    Or you can change the display.

    Change the display of the 'signal strength' to read in real numbers. While at the home screen, in landscape mode, qwerty keyboard, hold down the ALT key to lock it, then type !,""

    To get the signal bars back, While at the home screen, in landscape mode/qwerty, hold down the ALT key to lock it, then type !,"" again.

  12. #12
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cruznthru View Post
    Or you can change the display.

    Change the display of the 'signal strength' to read in real numbers. While at the home screen, in landscape mode, qwerty keyboard, hold down the ALT key to lock it, then type !,""

    To get the signal bars back, While at the home screen, in landscape mode/qwerty, hold down the ALT key to lock it, then type !,"" again.
    Thanks cruz. By the way, have you ever seen anything less than -80?

  13. #13
    cruznthru's Avatar
    cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Liked
    5 times
    Come to think of it, I haven't.

  14. #14
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cruznthru View Post
    Come to think of it, I haven't.
    Yeah me either, oh well.

  15. #15
    Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Posts
    3,385
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Yeah me either, oh well.
    You made me test this when i first saw you post it and i havent seen it either

  16. #16
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cruznthru View Post
    Or you can change the display.

    Change the display of the 'signal strength' to read in real numbers. While at the home screen, in landscape mode, qwerty keyboard, hold down the ALT key to lock it, then type !,""

    To get the signal bars back, While at the home screen, in landscape mode/qwerty, hold down the ALT key to lock it, then type !,"" again.
    Nice Cruz I forgot about this tip :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •