[Thank you for the detailed instructions. However, I can't manage to zip/unzip the downloaded DM (step 7). Even if I rename it, once I click on the icon, it automatically starts installing and I get back to square one("can't install...missing .msi...". Can you help me? Regards, philippe]
This write up was pulled from a few different sources, with edits and additions by me.
How to Perform a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software
The clean uninstall procedure removes all traces of the BlackBerry Desktop Software. It consists of seven tasks.
1. Uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
2. Delete the Research In Motion® folders from the registry.
3. Delete the Pumatech Shared folders from the registry (if present).
4. Delete the Research In Motion folders from your hard drive.
5. Delete the Pumatech Shared folder from your hard drive (if present).
6. Restart your computer.
7. Register alt.dll (reinstall only).
Task 1 - Uninstall the BlackBerry Desktop Software
1. Close BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
2. Open the Control Panel and double-click the Add/Remove Programs icon.
3. Select BlackBerry Desktop Software and click Change/Remove.
4. On the InstallShield Wizard window, click the Remove option, followed by Next.
5. On the Confirm Uninstall window, click OK.
6. On the InstallShield Wizard window, click Finish.
Task 2 - Delete the Research In Motion Folders from the Registry
To delete the Research In Motion folders
1. Click Start > Run.
2. Type Regedit, and then click OK.
3. In Registry Editor, delete the Research In Motion folder located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
4. Delete the Research In Motion folder located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
Note: This key will not be present if you are removing Desktop Manager version 4.0.5. Leave the Registry Editor open to complete the next task.
Task 3 - Delete the Pumatech Shared Folders from the Registry (If Present)
Pumatech Shared folders only exist in the registry prior to Desktop Manager version 4.0 service pack 1.
To delete the Pumatech Shared folders
1. In Registry Editor, delete the Puma Technology folder located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
2. Delete the Puma Technology folder located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\
3. Close the Registry editor.
Task 4 - Delete the Research In Motion Folders from Your Hard Drive
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Program Files\
Note: This key may not be present if you are removing Desktop Manager version 4.0.3. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files (if present).
4. Delete the Research In Motion folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\
Note: If you are unable to see the Application Data folder, it might be a hidden system folder. See the Additional Information section for instructions on how to display hidden files and folders.5. If you were using Desktop Manager version 4.0 service pack 1, delete the BlackBerry Desktop folder in C:\Documents and Settings\<user names>\Application Data\.
Task 5 - Delete the Pumatech Shared Folder from Your Hard Drive (If Present)
The Pumatech Shared folder exists prior to Desktop Manager version 4.0 service pack 1.
To delete the Pumatech Shared folder from your hard drive, open Windows Explorer and delete the Pumatech Shared folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\
If you were using Desktop Manager 4.0.1, remove Pumatech software from your hard drive by opening Windows Explorer and navigating to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Pumatech Desktop Setup
Note: Any synchronization software for other personal digital assistants (PDAs) that use the Pumatech Shared folder must be reinstalled after the BlackBerry Desktop Software is uninstalled.If you are unable to delete the Pumatech Shared folder, rename it by completing the following steps:
1. Right-click the Pumatech Shared folder and select Rename.
2. Rename the folder (for example, Pumatech Shared_old).
3. Press Enter.
Task 6 - Restart the Computer
The desktop software should now be fully uninstalled. Restart the computer to make sure that all background processes are cleared from system memory.
Task 7 - Register alt.dll (reinstall only)
Before you re-install the desktop software, register the atl.dll file
1. Click Start > Run.
2. In the Run window, type regsvr32 atl.dll and click OK. A message indicates that the registration was successful.
3. Restart the computer.
Once your machine restarts do not install DM from cd, use the current version found at
rename the 501_b073_multilanguage.exe to 501_b073_multilanguage.zip and extract it to a new folder on your desktop. Double click on the BlackBerry Desktop Software.msi icon inside the unzipped folder, when the installer finishes, restart your machine.[/QUOTE]