Research In Motion has announced a new addition to their incredibly popular BlackBerry Messenger platform with the introduction of BBM 7 and BBM Voice. BBM Voice allows BBM users to call each other directly from BBM when connected to a WiFi network. This new feature is baked right into the BBM app with a cool icon that turns green when the contact is within WiFi range and is greyed out when they’re not.
BBM 7 also brings with it BlackBerry ID integration, which will make it a lot easier to switch between devices and eventually to BlackBerry 10.
BBM Voice includes a number of convenient features:
- Enhanced calling options – You can open a BBM Voice call directly from a BBM chat, providing instant engagement across the globe, free from long-distance charges.*
- Visual indicator – Know immediately when BBM friends are available for a voice call. No guesswork – your friend’s availability for BBM Voice is displayed in the chat screen.
- The voice status profile will show one of four states:
- Online (available for voice chat),
- Offline (capable but not available right now),
- In a voice chat (tap to hang-up), or
- None (customer’s device does not support BBM Voice)
- Seamlessly switch from type to talk – Turn your BBM session into a voice chat right from an ongoing text conversation.
- Use the medium that best suits the conversation topic.
- Toggle at any time. You choose: type, talk, or both.
- Convenient compatibility – BBM Voice is compatible with your accessories. Use a handheld microphone, speakerphone, Bluetooth accessory or wired headset.
- Multi-tasking at your fingertips – Check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps during the BBM Voice call.
- BlackBerry ID convenience – Switch even more easily between BlackBerry smartphones. BBM 7 allows your BBM profile, Groups and Contacts to be linked to your BlackBerry ID. Following the BlackBerry 10 launch, the BlackBerry ID integration will allow customers to seamlessly transfer all of their BBM information to a BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
*BBM version 7 with the new BBM Voice feature will be available in Beta for BlackBerry smartphones running the BlackBerry® 6 OS or higher with support planned for smartphones running the BlackBerry 5 OS at a future date. BBM Voice also requires a valid BBM data plan and a Wi-Fi connection.
BBM 7 will be available on the morning of November 14th in the Beta Zone as a new listed program that you can join and invite others to join as well. If you haven't done so already, make sure you sign up for the Beta Zone by going to blackberry.com/beta to join BBM 7 upon beta launch.
Check out the full press release below:
November 14, 2012
BBM Now Lets You Have Voice Chats for Free Over Wi-Fi
WATERLOO, ON – For the times when you want to hear a friend’s laughter instead of reading LOL, BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™) is taking the social networking experience to a whole new level with an exciting new feature called BBM Voice. Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced BBM version 7, a free update for the globally popular mobile social network, which will allow customers to make free voice calls to other BBM customers in the world over a Wi-Fi® connection*.
BBM is a fast, convenient and inexpensive service for BlackBerry® customers that gives them the ability to instantly chat with a friend, family member or colleague, and know when their message has been delivered, and read. With the new version of BBM, customers have a new option – they can talk with their BBM contact across the globe for free over a Wi-Fi connection. In an instant, customers can switch between texting and talking, or talk and text at the same time. For consumers, especially in developing markets, the BBM Voice feature offers an attractive way to talk with friends and family near and far, and staying in contact will be easier than ever as the holiday season approaches. For business customers, BBM Voice allows for enriched collaboration.
“BBM is the quick, easy way to stay connected to the people that matter to you, and with today’s announcement we’re expanding the capabilities of the service for deeper social engagement and even greater collaboration, beginning with voice functionality,” said T.A. McCann, Vice President of BBM and Social Communities at RIM. “The new BBM Voice feature is for when you’re travelling and you want to call home without worrying about phone charges. It’s for when you have news you can’t wait to share, for quickly explaining complicated details, and collaborating with colleagues. Whenever your ideas are too big for text, there’s BBM Voice.”
BBM Voice includes a number of convenient features.
- Customers can initiate a BBM Voice call directly, or instantly switch from a BBM text chat to talk, and back again.
- The split-screen feature allows customers to talk and text at the same time, so for example, they can send a picture to their contact while talking with them. They can also check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call.
- BBM provides a visual indicator that shows when contacts are available for a voice call.
- BBM Voice is compatible with any accessories a customer has now for making voice calls on their BlackBerry smartphone, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset. Customers can also use BBM Voice over their BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
- If it’s not an ideal time to talk, customers can simply choose to respond by texting back.
Another important feature of BBM version 7 is its integration with a customer’s BlackBerry ID, which is designed to back up their BBM profile, groups and contacts so they can automatically be restored in the event they switch to a new BlackBerry smartphone, including to a BlackBerry® 10 device.
BBM version 7 with the new BBM Voice feature is currently available in Beta for BlackBerry smartphones running the BlackBerry® 6 OS or higher with support planned for smartphones running the BlackBerry 5 OS at a future date. The Beta can be downloaded for free from BlackBerry Beta Zone**. Customers can sign up to BlackBerry Beta Zone for free at www.BlackBerry.com/betazone
For more information about BBM version 7 and BBM Voice, please visit www.BlackBerry.com/betazone.
* BBM requires a BlackBerry service plan. The BBM Voice feature requires a Wi-Fi connection with access to the Internet and may not be available in all markets.
** BlackBerry Beta Zone is not available in all markets.