Research In Motion held another press conference this morning at 10AM EST in which they addressed the current status of the BlackBerry Internet Service. RIM CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie stated that global BlackBerry services have all been restored successfully.
- This is the biggest outage in RIM/BlackBerry's history.
- 99.97% of uptime the last 18 months
- First major failure in a year and a half.
- They are auditing the system to figure out the cause of the problem.
- Adding QNX to BIS and BES was not related to outage.
With the release this morning of the video from co-CEO Mike Lazaridis' apology and the press conference following, RIM is desperately trying to save face from this terrible outage. Research In Motion's stock, surprisingly, has fallen much (RIMM $23.19/share) the last 4 days. Hopefully the service will stay fully functional now and we will not have to report any more outages for a long time.