Later today, BlackBerry is making important changes to BlackBerry Protect that will affect all users on BlackBerry 10.3.2 beta. BlackBerry sent an email earlier today explaining in detail what will be happening with BlackBerry Protect, and that will affect ALL BlackBerry 10.3.2 users whether you're in the beta officially or you used the leaked files to get it installed. For those of you who loaded the leaked version, you likely didn't get the memo today, so here is our PSA to you.
BlackBerry Protect is linked to your BlackBerry ID and is enabled by default. This means that when BlackBerry Protect is on, your device cannot be set up by anyone else, even if the device is wiped. After a device wipe, the device will prompt you to sign in with the same BlackBerry ID that was previously associated with the device.
After the server change, if you require BBID for BBM or BlackBerry World, etc, and do not know that BlackBerry ID or password or attempt to use a different BlackBerry ID, then you will not be able to set up the device and the device becomes unusable.
- Make sure you know your BlackBerry ID username (email) and password, or that you reset your password before April 15th (today) at 4pm EST.
- If you haven’t already, please confirm the email address that is being used as your BlackBerry ID.
- You may check your email confirmation status through Settings -> BlackBerry ID, and trigger confirmation with the 'Confirm Email' button on this screen if it does not already indicate ‘Confirmed’.
- If you do NOT remember your password and have a confirmed email address, a new password can be retrieved at blackberryid.blackberry.com.
- If you do not remember your password and do NOT have a confirmed email address but know the secret question/answer, a new password can be retrieved at blackberryid.blackberry.com.
- If you do NOT know your BlackBerry ID password and you are unable to reset it, immediately wipe your device and create a new BlackBerry ID and password to associate with the device. Otherwise your device will be unusable.
Once you've made the necessary changes, let us know in the comments below if you ran into any issues.