BlackBerry wasn't joking when they said they'd be taking the security of the PRIV wholeheartedly. Effective this morning, user who purchased their PRIV through Rogers, Bell or TELUS can download the first maintenance release from their beloved Android-powered device. The update brings several productivity and security improvements, but heed warning: You'll want to use Wi-Fi to download this 475 MB update!
We've heard several reports of unlocked devices purchased from Carphone Warehouse receiving the update, but haven't been able to officially confirm it's availability in UK.
As always, AT&T is nowhere on the radar for this update. We've reached out to our sources, and will hopefully have a better understanding of when they update will push to AT&T users.
- An improved camera: We’ve implemented a number of tweaks that improve the speed of our camera app, and re-tuned it for better low-light image quality.
- Better performance: We’ve also tweaked the PRIV’s software to improve overall system performance
- Improved stability: The update further includes a number of adjustments designed to improve device reliability and reduce instances of crashing and freezing.
- Enhanced security: Lastly, the release includes December’s security patches – rest easy knowing your device is protected against the latest Android security threats.
Be sure to also keep an eye out for coming updates to BlackBerry’s Android apps: Blackberry Keyboard,Blackberry Hub, Blackberry Camera, and DTEK by BlackBerry. The latest version of each will be available through the Google Play Store on December 14. The improvements include:
- Camera: Great new filters to engage your artistic side
- Keyboard: Increased language support and emojis added to predictive typing
- Hub & Contacts: Now includes WhatsApp
- DTEK by BlackBerry: More notification options to alert you when apps use your info
When the update becomes available for your PRIV, applying it is both free and easy to do:
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network before downloading the update, in order to avoid unnecessary data charges.
- Look for the update alert in your phone’s notifications tray. You can also check for software updates by going to Settings -> About -> System Updates and tapping the “Check for Updates” button.
- Choose to apply the update, and it will download in the background. You can continue to use your PRIV while it does so.
- Restart your phone to complete the installation process.