The RIM team has been hard at work to bring an all-in-one mobile store that will provide BlackBerry users with everything from music, videos, apps and more. Part of this process is to re-brand BlackBerry App World to simply BlackBerry World. It's obvious as to why this was done. The new store will contain more than just apps. However, if you are a developer, you may be asking, how does the new branding affect you? Here is a list of details that RIM has provided that show what exactly will be changed for each OS platform:
- We’ll be releasing updated marketing graphics for developers to use on their websites and other marketing materials
- We’ll be rolling out the name change to all store fronts starting mid-January 2013
- BlackBerry PlayBook tablet customers will see the updated store name in a future build, but video and music content will still be only available via the separate Music Store and Video Store applications on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.
- Customers on BlackBerry OS smartphones (OS 5, 6, 7 and 7.1) will also see the updated name and continue to benefit from new titles as they are developed for the BlackBerry OS platform, however the video and music content will not be available.
- The BlackBerry App World web store will become the BlackBerry World web store before the launch event on January 30, 2013
- Deep link URLs are not changing – the same appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/[appid] URLs that you use today will continue to work
I for one see the process going very smoothly. RIM looks to have a nice handle on the transition. You will definitely want to sell that old BlackBerry and get on board with how much BB10 has to offer in the new BlackBerry World.