Move over LocalBar, BBHTool, and DDPB the next biggest PlayBook utility has just arrived. Enter PlayBook App Manager, a new gem in the PlayBook management utility software department. Designed by George J this web manager will take complete control over your PlayBook apps, and much more. Easy to install, and implement the PlayBook App Manager has taken over the throne as the ultimate PlayBook utility.
I could not have been more excited to see a web-based application that is robust yet so simple. My hats off to the developers behind
PlayBook App Manager. So without further ado, lets jump into some details about PlayBook App Manager.
The PlayBook App Manager can do many things, and although its primary purpose is add and remove programs from your PlayBook it can also do things like terminate processes. Yes, even Android processes. Now we finally have an Android Kill Switch! In addition things like multiple installs, device information, and application information as available as well.
The PlayBook App Manager is a simple Chrome and Monzilla extension that integrates seamlessly with either browser. All you have to do is enter your PlayBook's ip something like a 192.168.x.x if your PlayBook is on your local LAN or 169.0.x.x if its plugged in via USB. In short you can manage your device over wifi or via USB.
Some of the main features include:
- Save your password in the browser for auto login (or not if you choose not to). Some tricks are done to save half of usual login time.
- List all the apps installed. Query run status, launch, terminate, or uninstall any individual app.
- Install apps by a queue. Multiple apps may be added to the queue by choosing files in a dialog or a simple drag and drop. Apps may be removed from the queue and installation may be aborted. Installation status is displayed in two steps: file uploading (to the playbook) with a progress bar and the actual installation with echoed messages.
- Auto retry for any incomplete installation or uninstallation.
- Log and categorize all the results of installations. Locate each one of them by a simple click.
I do not want to diminish usefulness of the other PlayBook utilities, but this one takes the cake. Make sure you check out the PlayBook App Manager main website at Playbook App Manager . Thanks for the guys over at OSBB for finding this gem. Make sure you keep it right here for some more surprises.