This is one of many more updates to come this summer and leading up to the release of BB10 in the early part of 2013.
This update to the WebWorks SDK is jampacked with API extensions, allowing devs to do more with their HTML5 powered apps. Here is an abbreviated rundown of what's new in this update.
- Invoke: Invoke allows for interacting with system and third party applications and services on a device. A developer can now invoke another application to access some functionality. Similarly devs can now register to make their applications a target for certain types of files.
- File and File Transfer: With the latest version of the WebKit engine, there now is support for the HTML5 File specification, allowing for system access on BlackBerry 10.
- Push: There is a more refined implementation of the blackberry.push APIwich will be explained in more detail in a later BlackBerry devblog article.
- Context Menu: Long-presses on an element in your page will cause the context menu will slide in from the right and it will now show the standard actions for the given context. For example, doing a long press on an image will show the context menu item "Save Image."
- Swipe Down Event: This will be used for application settings and options.
- Localizeable Splash Screens and Application Icons: Developers are now able to specify multiple icons and splash screens for their application. This is allowed to allow for different splash screens depending on orientation and to cover for different screen resolutions in the future.
Which new feature has got you giggling like a teenage girl? My vote is for the swipe down event leave a comment below.