CES 2015 is finally in full swing, and surprisingly there is tons of news coming from BlackBerry. BlackBerry announced this morning that BBM will soon be available for a wide range of Android Wear smartwatches.
With BBM for Android Wear, they’ve taken some of the most common BBM activities out of your pocket and onto your wrist. If you often hear the BBM notification when your hands are full you’re going to love this!
Without touching your phone you can:
- See who a new message is from and read it – while loading grocery bags into the back of your car;
- Review and accept invites from would-be BBM contacts while on the go;
- Flip through several messages to find that one with the address you’re looking for – while carrying a coffee;
- Pick from a list of pre-defined messages to quickly send a response – while in a meeting (or class );
- Use your voice and Google Now to respond to messages hands-free.
Take a look at the full press release below.
Las Vegas, 2015 International CES – BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a global leader in mobile communications, today announced at the 2015 International CES that BBM™ will be available on wearable technologies for a wide range of Android Wear™ smartwatches to enable BBM users to communicate faster and more discreetly on-the-go.
According to research firm Canalys, annual smartwatch shipments are estimated to grow to more than 28 million units by 2015 and more than 60 million by 2017. BBM’s large and engaged user base spends more than nine hours a week within the BBM application. Through Android smartwatches, this active BBM community will be able to access their BBM messages directly on their smartwatch without the need to reach for their smartphone.
“BlackBerry is committed to listening to our customers and integrating new features and partners to improve the BBM Chat experience,” said Herman Li, Senior Vice President, BBM Engineering and Product Management, BlackBerry. “The integration of BBM to support wearable technology is just one way we’re expanding the capabilities of our portfolio and delivering exciting options for customers to easily access BlackBerry’s cross-platform technologies.”
BBM for Android Wear will enable BBM users to seamlessly:
- Receive alerts on the watch when new BBM messages come in, see the sender and discreetly preview messages.
- Read BBM messages in their entirety, navigate among messages and dismiss notifications with a simple swipe.
- Respond to messages hands-free with Google Now or choose from pre-defined messages to quickly send a response.
- Accept BBM invites from the watch without the need to access their smartphone.
BBM for Android Wear will be supported by a wide variety of watches that support Android Wear, available from a range of manufacturers. With BBM installed on an Android smartphone, BBM for Android Wear features will become available on the watch automatically. Visit g.co/WearCheck on your Android smartphone to see if your phone is compatible for Android Wear.
BBM support for Google Android Wear Platform will be available in early 2015.