We told you a few days ago about the new BBM Beta build that was in the BlackBerry Beta Zone that provided ad free BBM and vanity PINS for BBM, albeit for a price. BlackBerry has pulled no punches in it's desire to monetize BBM with add ons such as stickers and such. Now BlackBerry has announced they will bring these new features to iOS, Android and Android wear with a large update for BBM.
“This update gives users even more control over the BBM experience by adding new personalization and privacy options.” said Herman Li, SVP BBM Software Development. “By tailoring the update to take advantage of platform specific features such as Touch ID on iOS and Android Wear support we are able to enhance the overall experience uniquely for each platform.”
Features introduced today include:
• Custom BBM PINs: One of the most requested BBM features has been the ability to create a customized BBM PIN that’s unique and easy to share. Starting today, BBM users who upgrade to the latest version will be able to create a 6-8 digits alphanumeric Custom PIN of their choice.** Custom PINs can be purchased in the BBM Shop for $1.99 USD per month. In addition to Custom PINs, BBM users can also purchase a no-ad subscription that will remove advertisements from the BBM Feed for $0.99 USD per month.
• Android Wear Support Now Available: Android users will be excited to hear that BBM now supports a wide range of Android Wear™ smartwatches to enable BBM users to communicate faster and more discreetly on-the-go. With the latest update, BBM for Android Wear will enable BBM users to seamlessly:
o Receive alerts on the watch when new BBM messages come in, see the sender and discreetly preview messages.
o Read BBM messages in their entirety, navigate among messages and dismiss notifications with a simple swipe.
o Respond to messages hands-free with Google Now™ or choose from pre-defined messages to quickly send a response.
o Accept BBM invites from the watch without the need to access their smartphone
• Password Protection for iOS users: By taking advantage of iOS specific features, BBM now enables users to add additional privacy with the option to password protect their BBM conversations using either a 4 digit passcode or Touch ID. Users can customize how long they would like BBM to remain unlocked before a password is requested.
• Landscape Mode for iOS users: iOS users can also take advantage of landscape mode support in their BBM chats and can now swipe to delete a chat from the chat list and use “edit” mode in chats for quick chat deletion.
• Multiple BBM Channel Contributors: BBM Channels now supports multiple channel contributors through the web client; making it easier for the over 1 million BBM Channel owners to manage and post new content.
• Share Photos in Group Chats: With the latest update, users can also share photos directly in a group chat, enabling a seamless chat experience. Users will know immediately when a photo has been shared with the group and can view it without leaving the chat.
For more information on this new BBM update visit www.insideblackberry.com or www.bbm.com
* This update is for BlackBerry 10, iOS and Android BBM users and will be available in BlackBerry® World, and Google Play™ tomorrow and the App Store coming soon. It can take up to 24 hours for the update to appear in your app store.
** Custom PINs are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Introduced in 2005, BBM set the standard for mobile instant messaging and continues to drive innovation in messaging and private social networking. Today, BBM is one of the largest private social mobile networks, driving real, active conversations. Customers love BBM for its privacy, controls and immediacy with Delivered and Read statuses and message-in-progress notices.
A global leader in mobile communications, BlackBerry® revolutionized the mobile industry when it was introduced in 1999. Today, BlackBerry aims to inspire the success of our millions of customers around the world by continuously pushing the boundaries of mobile experiences. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, BlackBerry operates offices in North America, Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America. The Company trades under the ticker symbols "BB" on the Toronto Stock Exchange and "BBRY" on the NASDAQ. For more information, visit www.BlackBerry.com.