Trackball issues... help please?

Thread: Trackball issues... help please?

Becca is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    Just ask :)
    Device
    Verizon 9630 (Tour)
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Trackball issues... help please?

So I've had my Tour 9630 since September 10, 2009. I'm a Verizon user. I've tried to research this a bit, but I'm not having much luck with fixing my issues.

Basically, I love my phone to death and haven't had any trouble with it up until a few days ago. My trackball has been terrible and I'm not sure what to do about it. At first the trackball would work normally scrolling vertically and horizontally to the right, but there was quite a bit of resistance when attempting to scroll to the left. I tried changing the horizontal scrolling sensitivity and had some luck with that, but I'm still having problems with it.

This morning I woke up and picked up my phone and the trackball scrolled easily, but for some reason it makes a weird clicking sound. It's not the clicking sound that you set in the trackball settings, it just sounds like it's not resting in there correctly. Also, when you press in the trackball to click on something it clicks oddly.

Has anyone had any experience with this or could someone provide some insight or knowledge about this issue? I am aware that this is a known issue with the Blackberry Tour but I figured that mine would've been one of the fixed ones. How do I know if it is one of the ones that shipped prior to the fix? Also, if I don't have insurance on my plan how does this work? I've heard of people getting a replacement but isn't the warranty period over?

The closest Verizon store is an hour away and I would hate to drive all the way there if there is something I can do to fix it without wasting all of that gas money.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Becca; 10-30-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Wrong month :P

smcoldbb is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow smcoldbb On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    So I've had my Tour 9630 since October 10, 2009. I'm a Verizon user. I've tried to research this a bit, but I'm not having much luck with fixing my issues.

Basically, I love my phone to death and haven't had any trouble with it up until a few days ago. My trackball has been terrible and I'm not sure what to do about it. At first the trackball would work normally scrolling vertically and horizontally to the right, but there was quite a bit of resistance when attempting to scroll to the left. I tried changing the horizontal scrolling sensitivity and had some luck with that, but I'm still having problems with it.

This morning I woke up and picked up my phone and the trackball scrolled easily, but for some reason it makes a weird clicking sound. It's not the clicking sound that you set in the trackball settings, it just sounds like it's not resting in there correctly. Also, when you press in the trackball to click on something it clicks oddly.

Has anyone had any experience with this or could someone provide some insight or knowledge about this issue? I am aware that this is a known issue with the Blackberry Tour but I figured that mine would've been one of the fixed ones. How do I know if it is one of the ones that shipped prior to the fix? Also, if I don't have insurance on my plan how does this work? I've heard of people getting a replacement but isn't the warranty period over?

The closest Verizon store is an hour away and I would hate to drive all the way there if there is something I can do to fix it without wasting all of that gas money.

Thanks in advance!
    hey becca,

Other then a good cleaning there is not much you can do at home. The trackball is different then the older models so as far as I know even at the store level they aren't allowed to swap it out.
    It will have to be swapped out for a different model you should be entitled to a brand new model being within the 30 days since purchase.

Here's a quick little test you can do at home to prove the ball is not acting properly

options > status > type "test" you can skip the first part and the next will be a keyboard/trackball test.

scroll in every direction as fast as you can. The higher the number the better

To try and answer your warranty questions no the device has a 1 year manufactures warranty and like I suggested vzw should give you a new deviced based on the purchase date.
    Last edited by smcoldbb; 10-30-2009 at 05:01 PM.

PIN
    Device
    Verizon 9630 (Tour)
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smcoldbb View Post
    hey becca,

Other then a good cleaning there is not much you can do at home. The trackball is different then the older models so as far as I know even at the store level they aren't allowed to swap it out.
    It will have to be swapped out for a different model you should be entitled to a brand new model being within the 30 days since purchase.

Here's a quick little test you can do at home to prove the ball is not acting properly

options > status > type "test" you can skip the first part and the next will be a keyboard/trackball test.

scroll in every direction as fast as you can. The higher the number the better
    Crap, I put the wrong month down. I meant September 10, 2009. Sorry. I'm so tired... lol. So that means I'm out of the warranty period.

I tried the test and everything registered but it's still doing the clicking thing and there's a bit resistance when scrolling to the left.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Crap, I put the wrong month down. I meant September 10, 2009. Sorry. I'm so tired... lol. So that means I'm out of the warranty period.

I tried the test and everything registered but it's still doing the clicking thing and there's a bit resistance when scrolling to the left.
    Call 611 and have them send you a refurb Tour. Last I checked with Big Red all the refurbs they now have are the new units with the corrected hardware issue

DRLyman is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Call 611 and have them send you a refurb Tour. Last I checked with Big Red all the refurbs they now have are the new units with the corrected hardware issue
    Yep, I'm with Bryan. I went through the same thing. Just call 611 and tell them your trackball isn't scrolling correctly. They will transfer you and then ask you to pull the battery, etc. When all that doesn't work, they will send you another one. I had to do this last month. I ended up with 3 of them being sent out, all in the same week because a couple of the ones they sent me were terrible. One of them popped through the earpiece and you could tell it wasn't put together correctly. The bottom of the screen was showing light coming from it like it was one of the Storms. After 3 I finally got a new one. The first two were not, though.

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Same here. The easiest way is if you happen to have your box. If you have a new device, there will be a green dot on the UPC/Barcode. If not, you have an older one. Verizon replaced mine with the newer build, no questions asked. There was an internal email a few weeks ago about it. Call *611 and explain to them you have an early build with the VERIZON RECOGNIZED HARDWARE ISSUES and you'd like a replacement.

PIN
    Device
    Verizon 9630 (Tour)
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TemperamentalMan View Post
    Same here. The easiest way is if you happen to have your box. If you have a new device, there will be a green dot on the UPC/Barcode. If not, you have an older one. Verizon replaced mine with the newer build, no questions asked. There was an internal email a few weeks ago about it. Call *611 and explain to them you have an early build with the VERIZON RECOGNIZED HARDWARE ISSUES and you'd like a replacement.
    I have the box, but the UPC/Barcode was cut off for a rebate. I looked at the photocopies and all over the box and did not find anything resembling a green dot. How does the replacement work? Will they send the replacement and then I'll have to transfer everything over to the new one and ship the old one back to them? I've never done this before; just wondering how it works.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I really appreciate it.

Device
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    0 times
    that sounds about right. Desktop manager has a function for that. It will transfer all your data and applications if requested. It will also ask you if you want to clear all the info off the "old" device.

Buzzdar is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Liked
    0 times
    I have one of the day one tours and lately i have been having some track ball issues so i figured i would take it to the local VZW store thinking they could either clean my trackball or replace the Trackball. I get there and the guy looks at it and he says he changing the sensitivity in the settings and he then took the tour turned it upside down and rolled in on the counter top face down. said all clean. i was like what? said they are no longer allowed to take trackball out and clean or replace. so i called vzw cs and they put me through to level 3 data supports and that person told me they are no longer to do anything that would open up the bb to fix it. they were told by rim that it voids the warrenty for them to do anything with them.

is this really true? how can verizon not be allow to fix anything any more?

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzdar View Post
    I have one of the day one tours and lately i have been having some track ball issues so i figured i would take it to the local VZW store thinking they could either clean my trackball or replace the Trackball. I get there and the guy looks at it and he says he changing the sensitivity in the settings and he then took the tour turned it upside down and rolled in on the counter top face down. said all clean. i was like what? said they are no longer allowed to take trackball out and clean or replace. so i called vzw cs and they put me through to level 3 data supports and that person told me they are no longer to do anything that would open up the bb to fix it. they were told by rim that it voids the warrenty for them to do anything with them.

is this really true? how can verizon not be allow to fix anything any more?
    The simply answer to this is yes true and no they wont there is more too it from what I have heard but I am not going to remotely try to explain it all. With that said if you have or continue to have trackball problems remember you have a 1yr warranty.

PIN
    Device
    Verizon 9630 (Tour)
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    The simply answer to this is yes true and no they wont there is more too it from what I have heard but I am not going to remotely try to explain it all. With that said if you have or continue to have trackball problems remember you have a 1yr warranty.
    So does this mean they won't replace it if I call and say I'm having trackball issues?

goch89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    nope they will..or at least should, i also have a day one tour and recently had trackball issues, well i said enough is enough and went in to my local Verizon store and just basically told them iv had these issues and did research online and found that they had problems with them...so he called and got a new replacement sent to my house which should be here tomorrow

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    So does this mean they won't replace it if I call and say I'm having trackball issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by goch89 View Post
    nope they will..or at least should, i also have a day one tour and recently had trackball issues, well i said enough is enough and went in to my local Verizon store and just basically told them iv had these issues and did research online and found that they had problems with them...so he called and got a new replacement sent to my house which should be here tomorrow
    goch is right.. they will just be replacing whole devices now

goch89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    i just got my new one a day early woo hoo!!!!:1244:

capitalp14 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Blackberry Tour
    Liked
    0 times
    If I purchased my Tour off ebay and I'm having the similar trackball problems, I'm guessing Verizon won't replace it for me, so how would I go about using the 1 year warranty to get a replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by capitalp14 View Post
    If I purchased my Tour off ebay and I'm having the similar trackball problems, I'm guessing Verizon won't replace it for me, so how would I go about using the 1 year warranty to get a replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    They may accommodate you since the Tour had a known TB issue.

The.Perfect.Storm is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    Private
    Device
    9530 & 9500
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by capitalp14
    Because your Tour was purchased off of eBay, VZW will most likely not replace the device. Now on the other hand you may be able to get it serviced or replaced thru the factory. Just curious though, even if you bought it off of eBay, you must have service with some carrier, right? Yu could check with your cellular provider that is providing service for the device and see if they offer any replacement devices of the same type or if you are covered by any additional warranties. The.Perfect.Storm
    Last edited by The.Perfect.Storm; 11-04-2009 at 01:12 AM.

capitalp14 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Blackberry Tour
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes I have service with Verizon. If I were to go through RIM, is there a number that I would call, or how would I go about that?

sunkast Guest
    Yes I have service with Verizon. If I were to go through RIM, is there a number that I would call, or how would I go about that?
    Call Verizon. Can't hurt and ask.

Device
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    0 times
    Visit blackberry.com and search for customer service. If you send them an email regarding your issues they have an auto reply email that gives you a phone number to call if you need further clarification. They are acutally pretty helpful.