Trackball - Replace with different style?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trackball - Replace with different style?

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times

Trackball - Replace with different style?

I've read here and there about the possibility of replacing the trackball with one from a different series (8330, 8900, etc.). Is this truly possible? Would it even make a difference? My wife an daughter both have the Pearl Flip. The trackball on their phones is fantastic!

Hey, someone put together a hybrid!!! :laugh2:

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Good questions TM...
    If I did not know the answer, I would be eager to give it a shot.
    No harm no foul...:fing02:

Of course I would only try at my own digression.
    Last edited by MePascal; 09-11-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TemperamentalMan View Post
    I've read here and there about the possibility of replacing the trackball with one from a different series (8330, 8900, etc.). Is this truly possible? Would it even make a difference? My wife an daughter both have the Pearl Flip. The trackball on their phones is fantastic!

Hey, someone put together a hybrid!!! :laugh2:
    Agreed. A Hybrid would be nice since those phones seem to become more popular. I can not answer your questions, but only agree that a Hybrid would be nice!
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

Servovestri is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    None
    Device
    Galaxy Nexus
    OS
    Android
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    0 times
    My understanding is that the trackball from the 8900 series works wonders, and fits into the spot just the same as a Tour's OEM ball. However, at this point, I would probably just call your carrier for a DOA/Replacement considering all the new ones seem to have fantastic trackballs - just make sure yours has a green dot on the ESN/MEID/UPC label.
    Current Device: Galaxy Nexus - Waiting for the Z10.

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Servovestri View Post
    My understanding is that the trackball from the 8900 series works wonders, and fits into the spot just the same as a Tour's OEM ball. However, at this point, I would probably just call your carrier for a DOA/Replacement considering all the new ones seem to have fantastic trackballs - just make sure yours has a green dot on the ESN/MEID/UPC label.
    Yeah my current one does NOT have the green dot I may give that a shot, but if I do, will I end up with a new one or a refurb?

PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Just read a teardown/replacement link that says a trackball from the 8330/8830 will work.

Servovestri is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    None
    Device
    Galaxy Nexus
    OS
    Android
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah my current one does NOT have the green dot I may give that a shot, but if I do, will I end up with a new one or a refurb?
    Depends on the carrier, currently, they're DOAing Tours at VZW I think, and if they give you any grief, you can fight about it and they'll do it. I think mine was 5 days out of DOA but they sent me one. So brand new in that case.
    Current Device: Galaxy Nexus - Waiting for the Z10.

Spector5 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Spector5 On Twitter
    PIN
    HEAD
    Device
    DROID
    OS
    rooted 2.1
    Liked
    1 times
    You can use any trackball with any device - they even work with the tmobile G1. Theyre all the same trackball.

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    Wirelessly posted (9000 OS 5.0.0.191)

Just clarify, trackballs for pearl, 88xx, 83xx, 9000 models are compatible, the only different ones are for the tour and 8900, the g1 track ball only works on the 8900 devices and tour.
    BlackBerry by Choice!

Spector5 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Spector5 On Twitter
    PIN
    HEAD
    Device
    DROID
    OS
    rooted 2.1
    Liked
    1 times
    Sorry. That is correct. I jumped the gun on that one

PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    OK. I called VZW to find out about this "new" green dot Tour. They told me to go into the store and have mine swapped out for a new one. I went in and 10 minutes later I have a new "green dot" Tour with a much better trackball, buttons that are crisper, and a battery door that doesn't move. YAY! LOL

PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    OK. I called VZW to find out about this "new" green dot Tour. They told me to go into the store and have mine swapped out for a new one. I went in and 10 minutes later I have a new "green dot" Tour with a much better trackball, buttons that are crisper, and a battery door that doesn't move. YAY! LOL
    Good to hear! Thanks for sharing that bit of information.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanren78 View Post
    Good to hear! Thanks for sharing that bit of information.
    Not a problem. The funny thing is that it's almost like they wanted me to exchange it. The tech when I called mentioned that they received an email last week about the problem. Any Tour purchased before a certain date is able to be replaced with the newer build, no questions asked. She also mentioned that when they receive more than 5 phone calls a day about a particular issue it is forwarded to RIM.

PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Not a problem. The funny thing is that it's almost like they wanted me to exchange it. The tech when I called mentioned that they received an email last week about the problem. Any Tour purchased before a certain date is able to be replaced with the newer build, no questions asked. She also mentioned that when they receive more than 5 phone calls a day about a particular issue it is forwarded to RIM.
    Really? I guess they knew there was something going on with the initial Tours. That's very interesting information.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

MonkeyGrass is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow MonkeyGrass On Twitter
    Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    .419 - Awesome
    Liked
    0 times
    Yep, I just got back from VZW and got a new BB - no questions asked. I walked up to the tech counter, pulled out the Tour and said "I'll give you one guess why I'm here". She saw the Tour and said "Trackball". I said "Yep" - handed her the phone and walked out with a brand new one, complete with functioning trackball, tight battery cover and I'm a happy camper!

info[]box1 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    Got ballons and they float...!O!
    Device
    {9630} Juicy's Hybrid .230/371/405 R2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    Yep, I just got back from VZW and got a new BB - no questions asked. I walked up to the tech counter, pulled out the Tour and said "I'll give you one guess why I'm here". She saw the Tour and said "Trackball". I said "Yep" - handed her the phone and walked out with a brand new one, complete with functioning trackball, tight battery cover and I'm a happy camper!
    I really hope Sprint's customer service is that hassle free.

Im going into a tech center on thrus or Friday. My only worry is I purchased my from a private owner it was brand new never activated. I called Sprint advanced tech support and told the csr my trackball was pausing and sticking a little. He said ooh okay we will overnight a new one to you. Then saw that I was still within my first 30 days and he was unable to. He said take it back to the store where I brought and have them exchange it. But I cant there is no actual store.

So I was just going to wait till after my 30 days from the activation date. To either call tech support again or walk into Sprint store. It not like it stolen or anything they wasnt have activated it or cleared the esn. And I took it a sprint store w/o tech center and my sprint guy said its all good.

Any feedback\insight from a Sprint Rep would be great...TIA
    Device: Blackberry Niagara 9630 16GB EOS: [9630][HYBRID] Juicy 5.0.0.230/371/405 R2
    Birth Certificate___
    Manufactured: 29/08/09
    Handheld Made: Mexico 5

hallwaypd is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Device
    9630 Tour
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Just got my 3rd Tour today. Aug 27th build date and made in Mexico. So far terrific, but so was my last one when it was new. We'll see in about 2 weeks.

PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hallwaypd View Post
    Just got my 3rd Tour today. Aug 27th build date and made in Mexico. So far terrific, but so was my last one when it was new. We'll see in about 2 weeks.
    Was it one with the now famous green dot?

And while we're talking trackballs...does anyone have any idea if we would be able to replace the ball with a pad? I have no idea if it would work, but it would be awesome if it would...

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times

And while we're talking trackballs...does anyone have any idea if we would be able to replace the ball with a pad? I have no idea if it would work, but it would be awesome if it would...

I dont think that would be possible just for the fact that the trackpad requires a different hold in the phone and different shaped hole. So i mean you might be able to duct tape it there, but I would think there would be some changes in the os for a track pad as well.

hallwaypd is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Device
    9630 Tour
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

No, it wasn't a retail box, but a small white box that RIM sent for warranty replacements. My second tour came in the same type box, although it was earlier. I did ask to see the box and that's where I was able to find the build date of Aug 27. It is my understanding from forum searching that the problems should have been resolved after Aug 3, but no official confirmation of that from the Sprint store. Is this speculation or does someone know this for sure?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast