BES Pricing Questions

Thread: BES Pricing Questions

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times

BES Pricing Questions

Thanks to those who helped clear up the differences between BES and BIS. But now I have more questions.

I have a work domain that I want to use with BES. I am a single user, and will not be adding additional users for at least a year.

My question is this:

Do I have to upgrade to the $44.99/month plan on Verizon AND pay for a third party/hosted BES solution? That seems a little nuts. If so I would be looking at an additional 25-35 per month for BES. On WinMo (sorry but that's all I've used) Exchange Solutions are MUCH cheaper. MUCH.

If I upgrade to the $44.99/month plan does that give me BES sync with my existing domain? Does that give me the option to set it up somehow?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum...

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TemperamentalMan View Post
    Thanks to those who helped clear up the differences between BES and BIS. But now I have more questions.

I have a work domain that I want to use with BES. I am a single user, and will not be adding additional users for at least a year.

My question is this:

Do I have to upgrade to the $44.99/month plan on Verizon AND pay for a third party/hosted BES solution? That seems a little nuts. If so I would be looking at an additional 25-35 per month for BES. On WinMo (sorry but that's all I've used) Exchange Solutions are MUCH cheaper. MUCH.

If I upgrade to the $44.99/month plan does that give me BES sync with my existing domain? Does that give me the option to set it up somehow?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum...
    some people have had slight success doing this, but typically it doesnt allow you all the features of the BES

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    some people have had slight success doing this, but typically it doesnt allow you all the features of the BES
    SO...as a small business owner, my options are:

1. Pay for BES hosted & additional fees to my carrier
    2. Continue using BIS and sync daily
    3. Revert to WinMo to have exchange at a reduced cost
    4. Purchase and install BES Software/Server in-house; pay carrier fees

Wow.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    SO...as a small business owner, my options are:

1. Pay for BES hosted & additional fees to my carrier
    2. Continue using BIS and sync daily
    3. Revert to WinMo to have exchange at a reduced cost
    4. Purchase and install BES Software/Server in-house; pay carrier fees

Wow.
    let me ask you this.. what are you trying to sync? BES is really geared for more than 5 users... but anywhoo what are you trying to sync

pkarr is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Send me a PM for it.
    Device
    9630 Tour - Sprint
    OS
    Irtehuns v7.11 because it rocks
    Liked
    0 times
    TM,

the BES software used to run 5k a couple of years ago plus you will pay 125 bucks for the BES client license for each device. As JNEPSA mentioned, it is typically geared 5 or more users for the enterprise and provides great functionality. It ties in nicely with Exchange.

As for your issue with your carrier, you have to purchase a BES plan in order for the connection to work. A simple data plan will not suffice and they will tell you that. I'm on Sprint and I pay an extra 20 bucks/month to have the BES connection. It's worth it because I can rebuild my BB OTA at anytime and getting me up and running faster.

I hope this helps.

Pat

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    TM where I was going was you should look at google sync its free, you can do multiple calendars and contacts

FuzzieBalzonya is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    The other issue you will run into is that the 44.99 PDA plan will be required for exchange access. Also look at Blackberry Professional Software as an option, as it is much less expensive to start up, allows you to purchase a small initial amount of CALs, and is easily upgraded to the full BES in the future.

FB
    Running Apps: Tether, QuickLaunch, Addictive Tower Defense, BerryWeather 2.0, BerryBuzz, Druglord Wars, QuickPull, PBA Bowling 2, BuzzOff, eBay, Facebook, BBOS Alert

pkarr is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Send me a PM for it.
    Device
    9630 Tour - Sprint
    OS
    Irtehuns v7.11 because it rocks
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzieBalzonya View Post
    The other issue you will run into is that the 44.99 PDA plan will be required for exchange access. Also look at Blackberry Professional Software as an option, as it is much less expensive to start up, allows you to purchase a small initial amount of CALs, and is easily upgraded to the full BES in the future.

FB
    FB,

I never knew that existed. I guess I have to start re-educating myself on BB software.

thanks,

Pat

peeps is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    30B53DA3
    Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Let me give you a little setup:

Yes, BES is more expensive. But for a single user, it doesn't have to be that much more expensive.

I have an Exchange 2003 server, I have a BES with 2 users. I've only had to pay $100 for this ability, using Blackberry Professional Server Express. It gives you 1 free CAL, each additional CAL is about $107 (USD with taxes included).

Yes, you will need to have the BES services from your provider, but it is a great way to get BES experience without having to pay for it.

If you have questions, feel free to post here or PM me. I am a call center rep, and the only one in my center with BES experience.
    -Peeps

FuzzieBalzonya is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Also check out BlackBerry - Hosted BlackBerry services This may also be a way for you to go.

The hosted services allow you to have the same access, without the initial cost upfront.
    Running Apps: Tether, QuickLaunch, Addictive Tower Defense, BerryWeather 2.0, BerryBuzz, Druglord Wars, QuickPull, PBA Bowling 2, BuzzOff, eBay, Facebook, BBOS Alert

PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I appreciate all the insight.

As far as what I'm trying to sync? Email, contacts, calendar, memos, and tasks without a cable. Also, down the road when I'm able to hire additional people, I'll need the ability to set/transfer appointments, contacts, etc. (distribution lists are key here). I don't want to put a system in place (or the lack of a set system) and in 3 or 6 months upgrade/replace that system.

I want to hit the ground running and become familiar with features I need now, while having additional features in place when they become necessary.

Make sense?

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Understood, but really if thats what you want to do you are better to take the heat now for some of the BES options, yes winmo is cheaper, but BES has more security and is probably a bit faster on push... this is the part where you have to make the decision let us know if we can help more

PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Understood, but really if thats what you want to do you are better to take the heat now for some of the BES options, yes winmo is cheaper, but BES has more security and is probably a bit faster on push... this is the part where you have to make the decision let us know if we can help more
    After reading your responses (thanks guys!) and doing a little more google research on my own, BES wins. This appears to be a true case of "you get what you pay for." While Exchange ActiveSync works well, it is more or less a "push/pull" situation offering no SPAM protection whatsoever. BES however is PUSH offering SPAM protection, 256bit security (same as AS), wireless backup/sync, restore. Very nice.

So, VZW gets another $15 a month plus an additional $17.99 a month to exchangemymail. In the end it's worth it.

P.S. The next time I EVER mention returning to WinMO, please burn my posts and gouge my eyes out with burning stakes.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    After reading your responses (thanks guys!) and doing a little more google research on my own, BES wins. This appears to be a true case of "you get what you pay for." While Exchange ActiveSync works well, it is more or less a "push/pull" situation offering no SPAM protection whatsoever. BES however is PUSH offering SPAM protection, 256bit security (same as AS), wireless backup/sync, restore. Very nice.

So, VZW gets another $15 a month plus an additional $17.99 a month to exchangemymail. In the end it's worth it.

P.S. The next time I EVER mention returning to WinMO, please burn my posts and gouge my eyes out with burning stakes.
    With out a doubt I will do that for you... I knew you would make the right decision

PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    TM where I was going was you should look at google sync its free, you can do multiple calendars and contacts
    I was stuck with the "Google" experience on the Palm Pre. LOL never again. Thanks, but I'll use pen and paper along with tin cans and a string before I go that route again. I'm sure it works great for some people, just not for me.

PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    With out a doubt I will do that for you... I knew you would make the right decision
    LOL thanks epsa!