Google Maps 3.02 will not recognize GPS...

Poll: Do you use Google Maps with your 9630 Tour? If so, does your GPS work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Maps 3.02 will not recognize GPS...

quattro527 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Google Maps 3.02 will not recognize GPS...

Does anybody know if this is more of a hardware issue (though BB Maps works) or something inside the OS of the Tour? I can not locate myself via GPS (messed with GPS and location settings as well with no luck). According to Sprint tech support, the problem is within the Google app itself and Google is working on it. According to Google, it's something in the device and/or OS itself.

Is there any kind of fix? I can typically triangulate myself using towers, within 100 meters if I'm lucky...but really miss having a GPS location like I did with my Curve.

Thanks
    Last edited by quattro527; 08-15-2009 at 05:57 AM.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro527 View Post
    Does anybody know if this is more of a hardware issue (though BB Maps works) or something inside the OS of the Tour? I can not locate myself via GPS (messed with GPS and location settings as well with no luck). According to BB guys, they say the problem is within the Google app itself and Google is working on it. According to Google, it's something in the device itself.

Is there any kind of fix? I can typically triangulate myself using towers, within 100meters...but really miss having a GPS location like I did with my Curve.

Thanks
    So you have gone into the GPS options on your phone and made sure that GPS services is showing "location on"? I have a Tour and Google Maps works perfectly. I just tested it out and it found my location to with 5 meters. Maybe you should try deleting the app, doing a battery pull and then reinstalling the app

Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    So you have gone into the GPS options on your phone and made sure that GPS services is showing "location on"? I have a Tour and Google Maps works perfectly. I just tested it out and it found my location to with 5 meters. Maybe you should try deleting the app, doing a battery pull and then reinstalling the app

My location is definitely ON. I have tried reinstalling on all 4 of my Tour's (all had their own problems from the first batch of bad ones). I've also even tried installing an older version (2.8x), which I knew worked on my Curve, with no luck. It will display my location within xx meters, with a note on the bottom saying "GPS temporarily unavailable". When you press "0" or "My Location", do you know if your GPS initializes or just times out?

Keep in mind that Google Maps is still able to locate you on phones without a built-in GPS by triangulating amongst the cell sites and towers...and the blue dot doesn't always indicate an active GPS.

tbcpn is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm2 9550 / Bold 9650 (VZW)
    OS
    5.0.0.??? Hybrid?
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anybody know if this is more of a hardware issue (though BB Maps works) or something inside the OS of the Tour? I can not locate myself via GPS (messed with GPS and location settings as well with no luck). According to Sprint tech support, the problem is within the Google app itself and Google is working on it. According to Google, it's something in the device and/or OS itself.

Is there any kind of fix? I can typically triangulate myself using towers, within 100 meters if I'm lucky...but really miss having a GPS location like I did with my Curve.

Thanks
    Google Maps works fine on my Tour, as does telenav.

Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    For those that have a working GPS, may I ask what version are you guys using? I do know that initially, many had issues with getting the correct version (some got the Storm version instead) that caused some problems.

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    For those that have a working GPS, may I ask what version are you guys using? I do know that initially, many had issues with getting the correct version (some got the Storm version instead) that caused some problems.
    May I ask for clairification. Version of GPS or Maps?

If it is the GPS, How are you finding that GPS Version #?

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    GM version 3.0.2.

Most of the time I don't hit anything it just auto-detects but yeah pressing 0 should find your location.

Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    May I ask for clairification. Version of GPS or Maps?

If it is the GPS, How are you finding that GPS Version #?

How do I find the GPS version number? Unlike my Curve, which displays my coordinates inside the GPS menu, the Tour does not give me that option.

I am running Google Maps 3.02 like the rest of the people here.

Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    GM version 3.0.2.

Most of the time I don't hit anything it just auto-detects but yeah pressing 0 should find your location.
    Pressing 0 for me finds and approximates my location to about 10-50 meters (the blue dot with the proximity bubble), with a message saying "waiting for GPS" followed by "GPS temporarily unavailable".

bx2md is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow bx2md On Twitter
    PIN
    3287c1e7
    Device
    style/s2
    OS
    6.0/5.0
    Liked
    0 times
    ggm works great on my tour and so does the tel nav and nav4all
    but i still use bbmap

hallwaypd is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Device
    9630 Tour
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    For those that do have working GM on your Tour, are you with VZW or Sprint?

I have Sprint and my GM does NOT work with the GPS. Sprint Nav works great, however.

Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes...it does NOT work on my Sprint. Seems like VZW Tours do not have a problem.

PIN
    Device
    9630 Tour
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Anyone heard any new info on this? I'm surprised that there is not a more vocal group complaining about this issue. To me, Google Maps is far superiour to any of the other GPS programs that the phone supports and I rely on it quite heavily. Between the trackball and the GPS issue, I'm about done with the Tour.

From what I've read, this only seems to be a Sprint problem. Haven't heard of any VZW customer with this problem.

Chad

sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hallwaypd View Post
    Anyone heard any new info on this? I'm surprised that there is not a more vocal group complaining about this issue. To me, Google Maps is far superiour to any of the other GPS programs that the phone supports and I rely on it quite heavily. Between the trackball and the GPS issue, I'm about done with the Tour.

From what I've read, this only seems to be a Sprint problem. Haven't heard of any VZW customer with this problem.

Chad
    Would seem to me that not very many people are having this issue.

Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    At this point, it seems quite apparent that the people having issues with their GPS on Google Maps are Sprint users...for VZW Tours seem to work just fine. Any other Sprint Tour users confirm?

I will be installing .42 OS to see if that fixes or changes anything--for .40 has some other issues (trackball, intermittent radio, etc).

PIN
    Device
    9630 Tour
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    Would seem to me that not very many people are having this issue.
    Guess not. I've only had the same problem on two different tours. I'm about done with the Tour. I like the phone, but between the trackball and no GM, it's not much use to me.

Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hallwaypd View Post
    Guess not. I've only had the same problem on two different tours. I'm about done with the Tour. I like the phone, but between the trackball and no GM, it's not much use to me.
    I think the issue is more in the OS and firmware, I would be patient. I had issues with my Curve (when it first released), and it took a few OS updates to make it perfect.

mule0331 is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow mule0331 On Twitter
    PIN
    3102D902
    Device
    9550 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    At this point, it seems quite apparent that the people having issues with their GPS on Google Maps are Sprint users...for VZW Tours seem to work just fine. Any other Sprint Tour users confirm?

I will be installing .42 OS to see if that fixes or changes anything--for .40 has some other issues (trackball, intermittent radio, etc).
    Im on VZW, and Google Maps works great.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm with VZW and 191. I've had no problems with my GPS...and my location is usually perfect to where I am at.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

Andrax is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    9630 (Tour)
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Same thing happened with POYNT. Worked great with GPS for Verizon, not so much on Sprint. Hopefully the next version of Google Maps will address this for us Sprint users.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast