Thread: Possible mini usb failure

OcaNyc is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OS
    Too Many :/
    Liked
    0 times

Possible mini usb failure

So I noticed when my battery is low and I plug it into my verizon car charger, I'll see the charging icon over the battery and then minutes later when I check back it has disappeared. I canít tell if itís charging or not. I unplug/plug it back numerous times and still the same. I know the verizon car charger is getting power because itís lit. Although, when I do a reboot while plugged in I'll notice that the battery life has increased and the icon charger is back.

The first time this happened to me, I didnít reboot and when I got home I plugged it into my home wall charger and the same thing happened although as soon as I unplugged/plugged back in the charging icon appeared again.

At this point not sure if itís a car charger issue, hardware issue, or OS issue.
    Any suggestions, thanks.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OcaNyc View Post
    So I noticed when my battery is low and I plug it into my verizon car charger, I'll see the charging icon over the battery and then minutes later when I check back it has disappeared. I canít tell if itís charging or not. I unplug/plug it back numerous times and still the same. I know the verizon car charger is getting power because itís lit. Although, when I do a reboot while plugged in I'll notice that the battery life has increased and the icon charger is back.

The first time this happened to me, I didnít reboot and when I got home I plugged it into my home wall charger and the same thing happened although as soon as I unplugged/plugged back in the charging icon appeared again.

At this point not sure if itís a car charger issue, hardware issue, or OS issue.
    Any suggestions, thanks.
    I know this seems dumb but try a batt pull, and while its out check and see if you got any lint or dust in that port, and try again

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    I know this seems dumb but try a batt pull, and while its out check and see if you got any lint or dust in that port, and try again
    I have done those two things, thanks.

joem33 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow joem33 On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    J.A.H.M.v1.0
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the same exact issue on my storm. Verizon replaced under warranty in the store after verification of issue.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    I have done those two things, thanks.
    ok then I would take it in and get it replaced asap, before the deem it damage

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joem33 View Post
    I had the same exact issue on my storm. Verizon replaced under warranty in the store after verification of issue.
    I was thinking about doing that, but what if it doest happen in the store when they try. I think I'll give it a go anyway. Thanks for mentioning.

Oh also, my tour takes a long time to charge. Maybe 4 hours for a full charge. That seems long, maybe its all related.
    Last edited by OcaNyc; 08-11-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Spector5 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Spector5 On Twitter
    PIN
    HEAD
    Device
    DROID
    OS
    rooted 2.1
    Liked
    1 times
    Is it only when you use the car charger? I noticed mine did that as well,but I think it was because it was in direct sunlight. I moved it to a shady spot,and it was fine.

jasonfyc is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted (storm 9530)

Quote Originally Posted by Spector5
    Is it only when you use the car charger? I noticed mine did that as well,but I think it was because it was in direct sunlight. I moved it to a shady spot,and it was fine.
    I think you have part of it spector.... This what you do to test whether sector and myself are correct. Stick your dying phone in your hot car and charge it.... When the charging symbol goes away.. Take a COLD beverage (make sure there is no condinsation on it) and place it so your phone is standing vertically with the COLD beverage against the backside. Your phone and battery will actually pull the cold from the beverage allowing it to begin charging again. If you leave it for a little while and then come back and your phone has started charging again.... The problem is, that its just too hot abd needed to be cooled down. Nothing wrong with the phone or battery. Remember, its summer and these phones weren't made to operate in extreme temps. Ok now my waiver. I will except no responsibility for any damaged incurred by practicing this method/experiment. It is only a suggestion, not a recommend practice.

joem33 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow joem33 On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    J.A.H.M.v1.0
    Liked
    0 times

Talking

I was thinking about doing that, but what if it doest happen in the store when they try. I think I'll give it a go anyway. Thanks for mentioning.
    I made sure i was w/him as he tested it, I showed him that moving the cable caused the issue, and he agreed. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by olta777; 08-12-2009 at 03:22 AM.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spector5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonfyc View Post

I think you have part of it spector.... This what you do to test whether sector and myself are correct. Stick your dying phone in your hot car and charge it.... When the charging symbol goes away.. Take a COLD beverage (make sure there is no condinsation on it) and place it so your phone is standing vertically with the COLD beverage against the backside. Your phone and battery will actually pull the cold from the beverage allowing it to begin charging again. If you leave it for a little while and then come back and your phone has started charging again.... The problem is, that its just too hot abd needed to be cooled down. Nothing wrong with the phone or battery. Remember, its summer and these phones weren't made to operate in extreme temps. Ok now my waiver. I will except no responsibility for any damaged incurred by practicing this method/experiment. It is only a suggestion, not a recommend practice.
    It was hot at the time, but not sure about ice packing it to get it going lol.

I made sure i was w/him as he tested it, I showed him that moving the cable caused the issue, and he agreed. Hope that helps.
    I dont have a lose connection though.

jasonfyc is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by OcaNyc
    Quote Originally Posted by Spector5 View Post

It was hot at the time, but not sure about ice packing it to get it going lol.

I dont have a lose connection though.
    Lol. No no.... I don't want you to ice pack it... What I use on occasion, is a plastic bottle of coke! I prefer 32oz or 1liter. I have a center consel in my work pickup that is fairly good sized, with a plug in, in it. I plug my phone in, stand it up against one side, and place the Coke against the BACK SIDE of my phone. The tempature drop over all is very little. According to meterberry... From 110 down to 86 degrees, which is a good charging temp.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times

Lol. No no.... I don't want you to ice pack it... What I use on occasion, is a plastic bottle of coke! I prefer 32oz or 1liter. I have a center consel in my work pickup that is fairly good sized, with a plug in, in it. I plug my phone in, stand it up against one side, and place the Coke against the BACK SIDE of my phone. The tempature drop over all is very little. According to meterberry... From 110 down to 86 degrees, which is a good charging temp.
    if you wouldnt spend all day here it wouldnt get that hot!!! lol

toytooii is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .419/.692 Hybrid by Lyricidal (Shrunk)
    Liked
    0 times
    So I noticed when my battery is low and I plug it into my verizon car charger, I'll see the charging icon over the battery and then minutes later when I check back it has disappeared. I can’t tell if it’s charging or not. I unplug/plug it back numerous times and still the same. I know the verizon car charger is getting power because it’s lit. Although, when I do a reboot while plugged in I'll notice that the battery life has increased and the icon charger is back.

The first time this happened to me, I didn’t reboot and when I got home I plugged it into my home wall charger and the same thing happened although as soon as I unplugged/plugged back in the charging icon appeared again.

At this point not sure if it’s a car charger issue, hardware issue, or OS issue.
    Any suggestions, thanks.
    First...and very important...HEAT kills LiO batteries. Charging in hot environments is definitely not a good idea....you'll shorten battery life dramatically. Second, if moving the cable causes the problem, chances are the solder joints in the device at the micro usb connector are intermittant. Get the phone replaced...it's a defect.
    I can't tell from the prior posts if you have a loose connector or not. It's also possible you have a shorted battery. Here's a final suggestion: Let the device run down all the way until it shuts down. Then do a full charge cycle. This will recycle the "fuel guage" in the battery pack...it should be performed once every 30 days but not more frequently as routine deep discharging is NOT recommended for LiO batteries. It will shorten battery life.
    If this fails to correct the problem, try another battery...I'm thinking yours may have gotten fried! Good luck.
    Last edited by toytooii; 08-12-2009 at 02:00 PM.