My Storm -> Tour convert pals (Laney, Bryan et al).
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Storm -> Tour convert pals (Laney, Bryan et al).

xwera43 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Liked
    0 times

My Storm -> Tour convert pals (Laney, Bryan et al).

Wirelessly posted (9530 Storm)

I too have switched with the Annual $199 2yr deal plus I got another $100 credit ($99 seems like a very good price). I'm trying to convince myself (after boxing up the Tour & calling FedEx twice now for pickup then canceling) that I should wait for the Storm 2. I doubt I'll get VZW to give me a $100 credit (which I'd hate to lose) and I'm guessing the Storm 2 with 2yr contract will probably be $299. I'm looking for advice from you since I'm not confident that the Storm 2 will be that much better than the 9530 running OS v5.x.

Learning the keyboard has been a bit tough with the Tour compared to my old 8330 Curve. Battery life seems to be worse than the Storm but otherwise it's not too bad. I just don't want to be kicking myself in a few months when the Storm 2 comes out (which would be a good trick eh Laney).

I'm most always at home so Wi-Fi is not important but the screen size is missed.

As always, I appreciate your input.

~X

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    X how the heck are you my man

I am surprised to hear that battery life is worse than the storm for you. My battery life lasts at least 5 hours longer than it did with the storm. Having had so many blackberry's before the storm it didn't take long to get used to the keyboard again. Although I will admit it is very different then the curve or 8830.

I have described the Tour in one word before and I will do it again Reliable. It is nice to have a phone that does not reboot or freeze when I need it. The OS is very stable, so stable in fact I have not bothered to try any of the hybrids out there. I have twice as many apps installed than I did on my storm and I am still sitting at 120mb, gotta love that.

I am sure S2 will be a great device but for me the touchscreen just doesn't do it for me. I actually haven't missed the bigger screen or the touch navigation at all. I find I am faster with the trackball than I ever was with touch. Another benefit of the trackball is super easy copy and paste.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    All I can really say is that I would wait for Storm 2. While I do have the Storm and the Tour, a recent build (BBC's V8) I have been using on my Storm has had me second guessing using my Tour at all. But this I can say, the Storm 2 will be fantastic. I can't go into details for obvious reasons but typing on it will be a thing of beauty. There are also a few other surprises in store. If you want the best that VZW has to offer now than the Tour is probably it. But in a few months you may be wishing you had the Storm 2. Just my two cents to a fellow member.
    Last edited by jlevy73; 08-05-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Laney is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Liked
    2 times
    hey x

i must say... the storm was my first bb and i loved that thing but hated it at the same time. the tour runs and acts the way the storm should have. my battery life is better on the tour than the storm and overall its a much better phone. the keyboard does take some getting used to (harder for some than others) but i honestly dont have any complaints over my tour.

it does suck that i lost the screensize but hey... i have a reliable phone now. i had to call 911 on the storm once and let me just tell you that wasnt fun!!!

sounds like ur complaints are the screensize and battery, with the battery i would drain it completely and then charge it fully and see if that helps... but if the screen size is the kicker then..... wait for S2

PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the quick replies (and to my Laney typo topic fixer)!

Now you see why it's so hard to decide. I agree with all of you, this is a great device and the trackball & keyboard shortcuts make using it a lot easier and thus harder to decide on the wait for the S2.

I don't need the best... Reliability is very important. The battery life may be due to using it more than my Storm.

I have been using this A LOT in the CB Tour forum trying to help others. (I think I'll hang out here instead.) I have a good device with none of the reported problems others post about.

Maybe I'll get a PM birdy about the S2.

Thanks again for the fast input. Here birdy, birdy. LOL

~X

PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Liked
    0 times

Sorry Bryan, I'm doing good thanks. Other than activating/deactivating my Storm & Tour a few times... Having MobiHand change my device info each time too and having my hair cut short enough that I can't pull it out no complaints. LMAO

Thanks for asking! HI Laney, how you been babe? Still got my back I see.

~X

Laney is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Liked
    2 times
    ive been doing well thanks :P it was good to hear from you, you should stick around

you leave me curious now... let us know what you decide? and next time spell my name right :chairfall: :lmao:

PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Laney
    ive been doing well thanks :P it was good to hear from you, you should stick around

you leave me curious now... let us know what you decide? and next time spell my name right :chairfall: :lmao:
    That was mean! I was laughing aloud though. Kinda funny, an inside stalker joke going on here. LMAO

Off to the OT lounge I go. Come join me.

~X

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Your battery on the Tour is that bad? I have GPS enabled, Bluetooth connected 24 hours a day and on my Tour, I can go 2 days with out charging. On the Storm ( I use both ) it is dead by n6pm and I have to charge it.

Josh, its ok, you can tell everyone you are running Crackmans new hybrid v8 :-p

PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Liked
    0 times

I'm just not getting the life from it I expect. Especially since it does not have to light up a screen the size of the Storms. There's no way I could go 2 days that's for sure. I have 4 bars most all the time too or I'd think it's a signal issue. Not been too bad today (first day with that cheap 1600mAh battery), currently 4.5% an hour and it's at 71%.

Honestly, I'm probably just using it a lot more than I had recently been useing my Storm. There's still no way I can go 2 days but I'm interested how long I can go so I'll run this one down & have a fresh OEM ready and do the same with it.

~X

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Yeah there is no way I could go 2 days either :eek5: I don't use Bluetooth at all and no gps and mine is dead by 11pm at the latest. I have twitter running every 10 minutes, and that is what I attribute to that drain.

PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Liked
    0 times

I've been on here ever since and my usage is at 5.3% ab hour with 59% left.

I don't use anything that uses GPS and the only apps that are running are BBWeather (30min interval for temp 240min interval for forecast), YouMail with polling off and The Missing Sync.

I think I'll skip the "how many days" test & charge tonight as normal.

~X

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xwera43 View Post

I don't use anything that uses GPS and the only apps that are running are BBWeather (30min interval for temp 240min interval for forecast), YouMail with polling off and The Missing Sync.

~X
    Now there is a battery saver app

Just in case you are interested: Radio Saver | Extend Your Battery Life - Personal Productivity Blackberry Software

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times

~X
    Here something to try that has worked for many BB users in the past.

Drain your battery all the way to dead (to the point where the phone physically shuts off). Then recharge you battery back to full.

What this does is semi-flash the memory of your battery in essence resetting it. Give it a shot and see if it helps out your battery drain issue.

PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by olta777

~X
    Now there is a battery saver app

Just in case you are interested: Radio Saver | Extend Your Battery Life - Personal Productivity Blackberry Software
    Thanks olta but I think I'll stay away from software fixes.

~X

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times

~X
    I am with you. I would rather it be working right from the start. Definitely try Jlevy's suggestion. It works.

PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by olta777

~X
    I am with you. I would rather it be working right from the start. Definitely try Jlevy's suggestion. It works.
    That's what I'll do. I'm now at 5.8% an hour and 39% left. Dropping pretty quick but I have been on here a lot tonight.

Thank you both.

~X

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times

That's what I'll do. I'm now at 5.8% an hour and 39% left. Dropping pretty quick but I have been on here a lot tonight.

Thank you both.

~X
    No problem...good luck and keep us posted

PIN
    the tail on the donkey!
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    v5.0.0.xxx
    Liked
    0 times

Will do. Thanks again.

~X

catstide is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    what's tha
    Device
    DROID
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

I have described the Tour in one word before and I will do it again Reliable. It is nice to have a phone that does not reboot or freeze when I need it. The OS is very stable, so stable in fact I have not bothered to try any of the hybrids out there. I have twice as many apps installed than I did on my storm and I am still sitting at 120mb, gotta love that.
    you just described my storm on 5.0...RELIABLE....only exception is that i'm sitting at 35mb but in reality,what's the difference other than a warm fuzzy feeling?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast