I am giving up! Back to the Storm for me
I wanted to let the people out there know about my 2.5 days experience with the Tour. I know that the Tour is a replacement for the 8830 World Edition (All websites including this one have stated that), but I am comparing it to my Storm 9530 that I used for 8 months.
My thoughts are that if you "love" or "like" the Storm with .151, then I would wait before committing to the Tour.
If you have any other Blackberry than the 4.7 OS software, this will be a huge improvement and the colors are amazing on the Tour.
Here are my Pro's and Con's vs the Storm: I am not comparing it to any other Blackberry
1. Form of the Tour-felt great in my hand. Lighter than Storm (I am a big guy so no biggie here)
2. Colors on screen-Very clear, pristine
3. No spinning clocks. Phone seemed fast. Although after .151 I haven't had any spinning clocks on the Storm either
4. Bluetooth (Jawbone 2) was louder than on the Storm. Not much, but it was louder
5. Full keyboard. I did like the buttons for Menu , Send, Back and End the best of any keyboard Blackberry. They feel like glass and are flush with the phone.
6. More than double the memory. Although I have 52MB on my Storm left after a Shrink, it was nice to see so much app memory available for those of you who need that. I had 127 MB of app memory left after all my apps installed. I did NOT shrink the Tour OS
1. Placement of charging/OS upgrade port. It is on the left side vs the right side like the Storm. It rendered my phone useless for composing a message or talking on the phone while charging
2. Battery door. Sloppy and allowed space in between it and the "guts" of the Tour. i could put my fingernail in between the door and the back. Ugh plus it slipped around while I was talking or texting. I put the Storm 1600 Mah battery from Seidio in and that helped. Then I put a business card in between the battery and the door and it was tight.
3. Heat. My Tour back got really hot throughout the day. Uncomfortable actually. In fairness my Storm has gotten hot, but nothing like the Tour
Size of screen for surfing. I had to zoom in a lot and hard to read side to side vs flipping the Storm on its side
4. Freeze up after sending an email or SMS. This happened about 5 times a day. It was weird. I never had this issue with my Storm
5. Battery life was the same as my Storm. I was hoping it would last longer with half the screen, but nope
6. Very hard to type with one hand. I like to type with one hand via "Suretype" on the Storm and with the Tour being so small, I had to use two hands to crank out a message. I didn't like that because I often type while walking with a bag in my other hand in the airport
7. Screen Ripple (Bubbling?). Whenever I pressed down on my "Send" (Green), "Stop" (Red) button and pushed down on the Trackball, the screen would ripple or bubble in the respected corners. It wasn't a deal breaker (but you OCD people out there like me) I did notice it every-time.
8. No faster browser than the Storm with .151. I was hoping for a little faster browser, but they seemed to be the same speed.
9. Tour was made in Mexico. My Storm was made in Canada
For me, the Storm is better and I will wait for the Storm 2. I was lucky enough to try out the Tour and I hope my thoughts help any of you going through the decision of TOUR vs STORM
IF YOU LIKE THESE THOUGHTS, OR FOUND IT TO BE HELPFUL, PLEASE ADD TO MY REPUTATION...THANK YOU
Have a great day with your BB my friends!
Last edited by Pain Producer; 07-20-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Verizon Storm 2, Until 4/29 went to "INCREDIBLE"
Verizon Tour (Wife's)
OS: 9550--22.214.171.1247/643 (OOAK w/all the fixes)