I am giving up! Back to the Storm for me
I wanted to let the people out there know about my 2.5 days experience with the Tour. I know that the Tour is a replacement for the 8830 World Edition (All websites including this one have stated that), but I am comparing it to my Storm 9530 that I used for 8 months.
My thoughts are that if you "love" or "like" the Storm with .151, then I would wait before committing to the Tour.
If you have any other Blackberry than the 4.7 OS software, this will be a huge improvement and the colors are amazing on the Tour.
Here are my Pro's and Con's vs the Storm: I am not comparing it to any other Blackberry
1. Form of the Tour-felt great in my hand. Lighter than Storm (I am a big guy so no biggie here)
2. Colors on screen-Very clear, pristine
3. No spinning clocks. Phone seemed fast. Although after .151 I haven't had any spinning clocks on the Storm either
4. Bluetooth (Jawbone 2) was louder than on the Storm. Not much, but it was louder
5. Full keyboard. I did like the buttons for Menu , Send, Back and End the best of any keyboard Blackberry. They feel like glass and are flush with the phone.
6. More than double the memory. Although I have 52MB on my Storm left after a Shrink, it was nice to see so much app memory available for those of you who need that. I had 127 MB of app memory left after all my apps installed. I did NOT shrink the Tour OS
1. Placement of charging/OS upgrade port. It is on the left side vs the right side like the Storm. It rendered my phone useless for composing a message or talking on the phone while charging
2. Battery door. Sloppy and allowed space in between it and the "guts" of the Tour. i could put my fingernail in between the door and the back. Ugh plus it slipped around while I was talking or texting. I put the Storm 1600 Mah battery from Seidio in and that helped. Then I put a business card in between the battery and the door and it was tight.
3. Heat. My Tour back got really hot throughout the day. Uncomfortable actually. In fairness my Storm has gotten hot, but nothing like the Tour
Size of screen for surfing. I had to zoom in a lot and hard to read side to side vs flipping the Storm on its side
4. Freeze up after sending an email or SMS. This happened about 5 times a day. It was weird. I never had this issue with my Storm
5. Battery life was the same as my Storm. I was hoping it would last longer with half the screen, but nope
6. Very hard to type with one hand. I like to type with one hand via "Suretype" on the Storm and with the Tour being so small, I had to use two hands to crank out a message. I didn't like that because I often type while walking with a bag in my other hand in the airport
7. Screen Ripple (Bubbling?). Whenever I pressed down on my "Send" (Green), "Stop" (Red) button and pushed down on the Trackball, the screen would ripple or bubble in the respected corners. It wasn't a deal breaker (but you OCD people out there like me) I did notice it every-time.
8. No faster browser than the Storm with .151. I was hoping for a little faster browser, but they seemed to be the same speed.
9. Tour was made in Mexico. My Storm was made in Canada
For me, the Storm is better and I will wait for the Storm 2. I was lucky enough to try out the Tour and I hope my thoughts help any of you going through the decision of TOUR vs STORM
IF YOU LIKE THESE THOUGHTS, OR FOUND IT TO BE HELPFUL, PLEASE ADD TO MY REPUTATION...THANK YOU
Have a great day with your BB my friends!
Last edited by Pain Producer; 07-20-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Detailed overview Pain thanks for sharing
Thanks Bryan. I know you get your today or tomorrow so I am interested in hearing your thoughts.
I agree with Pain 100% though I'm still going to wait at least another week or so before deciding. The Storm was wack when it first came out but w/ all the firmware releases and hybrids, it has become an extremely capable BB.
Pain, thanks for the honest assessment of the Tour.
Welcome back, Pain!
We shall never speak of this forgettable and (forgivable) indiscretion again....
Now playing: ESPN - The B.S. Report: 7/6
Come on back Pain. Welcome in, Welcome in.....The new Storm2 will be here before you know it....:approve:
All kidding aside, must have been very frustrating.
I am leaning toward doing the same thing. Just posted some more of my thoughts here and don't want to double post into this thread.
I am not leaving Blackberry or BBOS. I just went from Storm to Tour and now back to Storm.
Originally Posted by MePascal
I will never leave as long as Verizon has a good Blackberry
Welcome back, you don't know unless you try
Yeah we were clear on that Pain. I never suspected for a sec that a valued member of BBOS was leaving. I just could feel your pain(no pun intended)in your write up of the tour. Besides, I don't see you as an iPhone guru:no:
Originally Posted by Pain Producer
You are dead on Michael. I tried the iPhone for 3 months. Loved the phone...hated AT&T's service.
Originally Posted by MePascal
Agreed. Plus I am the type that would not stop thinking about the new phone unless I laid my hands on it. Well I feel better now.
Originally Posted by gordtm
The Tour is a great phone and many people will love it. I am a STORMER through and through.
Now the wait for the Storm 2 begins...Isn't this fun?:haha:
Actually got excited today when i was @ the Verizon Store with a coworker (I was trying to get her to get to switch from tmobile curve to a verizon tour, ((I think they give ya something if you bring a customer in))) and i found out that as a VIP i can upgrade on 11/21/09 to a new phone, Two year price + 50 bucks off. This has so my name on it with the Storm 2 coming out!
Pain, thanks for such a marvelous review!!! Makes me appreciate my storm even more. I am supposed to get my tour tomorrow to try it out, but reading the reviews, I am already 99% positive that I am going to stick with my storm. The negative reviews that I read, are the things that will drive me nuts Plus, my storm is perfect and I love it....honestly, I don't even know why I called vzw to try tour out
I may be one of the few then who loves the Tour. No problems here.
ME to. so why i went to help a coworker today. Just wanted to play with it. :aargh4:
Originally Posted by olta777
Originally Posted by Pain Producer
Pain, Since you are near me, what store did you take it back to? I returned mine as you saw earlier, and the other Tours there had the similar problems.
Honestly, the two devices could not be more different and therefore not comparable. The Storm geared towards the multimedia crowd and the Tour is geared more towards the professional. The Tour is the replacement of the 8830we (physical keyboard) which is where the comparison should be made, not to the Storm. In that respect the Tour does beat out the 8830 in every aspect hands down. I personally like this device compared to my 8830. I have not experienced the loose battery door that many have had. I also do not have the screen distortion when using the send or end key. The device is easier to manage and fits nicely in my hand. Picture and video are a nice addition. It will take some getting used to the physical keyboard for some but its easier to use than the 8900 but more difficult than the 9000. I like the suretype and miss it here. But with the new OS's coming out and the rumor of sure type for the physical keyboard devices would make this device more of a pleasure to use.
I do look forward to the Storm 2 and will acquire that device as well.
Tags for this Thread