Device
    N/A
    OS
    N/A
    Liked
    0 times

tour + ipod touch > storm2? and other questions

hey all

i joined this forum because i needed to make the jump to a smart phone and keep verizon's good coverage.

the tour seems to be a all around solid phone with the only complaints being that it lacks wifi. given that i have an ipod touch and carry it mostly everywhere, i think that should be covered unless someone has a compelling reason to wait for something like the storm 2.

my upgrade isn't til august 24th, two days after i leave for college and i'd rather have the phone before i leave. is there some way to squeeze an upgrade a week or a month in advance? (i can be patient but i'm eager to stop using my samsung alias and start using a blackberry) any help is appreciated

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by medshog View Post
    hey all

i joined this forum because i needed to make the jump to a smart phone and keep verizon's good coverage.

the tour seems to be a all around solid phone with the only complaints being that it lacks wifi. given that i have an ipod touch and carry it mostly everywhere, i think that should be covered unless someone has a compelling reason to wait for something like the storm 2.

my upgrade isn't til august 24th, two days after i leave for college and i'd rather have the phone before i leave. is there some way to squeeze an upgrade a week or a month in advance? (i can be patient but i'm eager to stop using my samsung alias and start using a blackberry) any help is appreciated
    You should be able to get an early upgrade with no issues. I have gotten my upgrade 4 months in advance at one point. Just be calm and explain the situation and they should be find with it. I have the storm now but am getting the tour this week. Unless you want/need the bigger screen I would say the tour is a great choice. The storm 2 sounds very promising but the release date isn't set and since you need your phone before school I would stick with the Tour. Hope that help
    Last edited by Bryan; 07-11-2009 at 04:04 PM.

medshog is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    N/A
    Device
    N/A
    OS
    N/A
    Liked
    0 times
    would i have to do this at a Verizon store? or could i do this at best buy? a friend of my works in best buy's phone department and i don't know anyone at my verizon store

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    hey all

Welcome to BBOS!

Firstly let me say part of the decision is based on whether or not you want physical keyboard or if a touch screen will suffice. If you want a physical board then the Tour is your answer. Obviously if a touchscreen is what you are after then it's the Storm.

I can tell you that the Storm 2 will be amazing way beyond just having wifi. It will make a lot people purchasing the Tour say damn I wish I waited. the problem is that the release date for Storm 2 is still unknown. SO it depends on whether you can be patient and hold for the Storm 2 or need something now.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    would i have to do this at a Verizon store? or could i do this at best buy? a friend of my works in best buy's phone department and i don't know anyone at my verizon store
    I would call Customer service and speak to them over the phone. No offense to VZW employees but I have had the best experience dealing with these issues in-store.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    You would need to call Verizon first and have them note on your account that they are letting you do your upgrade early, then you should be able to do it at best buy? Not 100% sure on that. If not just do it over the phone with VZW and have them ship it to you.

PIN
    N/A
    Device
    N/A
    OS
    N/A
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post

I can tell you that the Storm 2 will be amazing way beyond just having wifi. It will make a lot people purchasing the Tour say damn I wish I waited. the problem is that the release date for Storm 2 is still unknown. SO it depends on whether you can be patient and hold for the Storm 2 or need something now.
    is this based off of fact or speculation? this does make me rather curious..

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    is this based off of fact or speculation? this does make me rather curious..
    Its based on fact.

Shane is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    I would call Customer service and speak to them over the phone. No offense to VZW employees but I have had the best experience dealing with these issues in-store.
    You mean haven't?

PIN
    N/A
    Device
    N/A
    OS
    N/A
    Liked
    0 times
    as far as software is concerned, the Tour is more or less the storm interface based around a trackpad correct? and this phone would be supported by future firmware updates like 5.0 right?

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanepark2 View Post
    You mean haven't?
    no I mean HAAAVVVVVEEEEE NOOOOOTTTTT

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    as far as software is concerned, the Tour is more or less the storm interface based around a trackpad correct? and this phone would be supported by future firmware updates like 5.0 right?
    The Storm software currently is actually a keyboard based OS tweaked to work with a touchpad. The Tour will be using 4.7.1.40 out of the gates and yes it would be supported by future 5.0 updates.

PIN
    N/A
    Device
    N/A
    OS
    N/A
    Liked
    0 times
    can the tour do turn by turn GPS? or does that cost extra?

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    can the tour do turn by turn GPS? or does that cost extra?
    It has turn by turn direction but not audible ones. For that you will need to install a 3rd party like Telenav, Garmin etc.

PIN
    N/A
    Device
    N/A
    OS
    N/A
    Liked
    0 times
    ah i see. i think i'm going to give verizon customer service a call about this. is there anything specific i should say or just explain to them my situation?

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    ah i see. i think i'm going to give verizon customer service a call about this. is there anything specific i should say or just explain to them my situation?
    Just explain the situation, Verizon customer service is one of the best. And if you don't get the answer you want just hang up and try with another CS rep.

PIN
    N/A
    Device
    N/A
    OS
    N/A
    Liked
    0 times
    so i just looked through the contracts on my family's plan, and one of the phones says that it's ready for its "new every two" upgrade, but that the contract doesn't expire until 8/24. does this mean i can use that upgrade for my tour and get the $199 price?

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    so i just looked through the contracts on my family's plan, and one of the phones says that it's ready for its "new every two" upgrade, but that the contract doesn't expire until 8/24. does this mean i can use that upgrade for my tour and get the $199 price?
    Sure sounds like it. give it a shot and see what happens.

PIN
    N/A
    Device
    N/A
    OS
    N/A
    Liked
    0 times
    sweet, i got my tour for $99 and it's shipping on tuesday or whenever the pre orders ship. woohoo

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    sweet, i got my tour for $99 and it's shipping on tuesday or whenever the pre orders ship. woohoo
    Sounds good, enjoy!