Thread: Sprint's Tour will have WIFI next year

cslaten is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow cslaten On Twitter
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    Liked
    11 times

Sprint's Tour will have WIFI next year

For all you Sprint customers going out and buying the Tour on Sunday, you may want to wait.

FierceWirelss reports that Sprint will release a Tour next year with Wireless. In this report Jeff Clemow, Sprint's Director of Business Product Marketing has said, "Sprint is embracing WiFi in all its major devices going forward".

Read the full article here Sprint's BlackBerry Tour to sprout WiFi next year - FierceWireless
    Last edited by cslaten; 07-23-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    This is great news for Sprint customers. Now they will be able to get "service" on their phones :lmao:

Great find and great post.

wowthatisrandom is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    This is great news for Sprint customers. Now they will be able to get "service" on their phones :lmao:

Great find and great post.
    i get plenty of service hone: lol but who wants to wait a year for a tour i could have sun-tues lol not i!

Laney is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wowthatisrandom View Post
    i get plenty of service hone: lol but who wants to wait a year for a tour i could have sun-tues lol not i!
    you make a very valid point

hallwaypd is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Device
    9630 Tour
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmmm... more questions than answers with the "next year" Tour with WiFi. Will it have the same specs as the current tour coming out tomorrow or will it be an upgraded version? Maybe more RAM and possibly other user feedback related hardware or asthetic improvements? Either way, it's no question... I'll be getting the tour tomorrow. My 8830 WE is barely hanging on as it is.

The WiFi issue with Verizon is even more perplexing. Why wouldn't verizon as a carrier not want to carry phones with user desired features like WiFi that every other carrier sells? That's always confused me. It's because of reasons like that, plus their beef with phones tethering is one of the reasons I remain a Sprint customer.

Chad H.

ausch is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    Just Ask
    Device
    9XXX
    OS
    x.x.x.xxx
    Liked
    0 times
    Sprint wants to wait until WiMAX is fully rolled out before they put out this device.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ausch View Post
    Sprint wants to wait until WiMAX is fully rolled out before they put out this device.
    I thought WiMax went the way of the dodo.

radioguinea is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow radioguinea On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wowthatisrandom View Post
    Where did you read a year? You wont be waiting a year.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hallwaypd View Post
    Hmmm... more questions than answers with the "next year" Tour with WiFi. Will it have the same specs as the current tour coming out tomorrow or will it be an upgraded version? Maybe more RAM and possibly other user feedback related hardware or asthetic improvements? Either way, it's no question... I'll be getting the tour tomorrow. My 8830 WE is barely hanging on as it is.

The WiFi issue with Verizon is even more perplexing. Why wouldn't verizon as a carrier not want to carry phones with user desired features like WiFi that every other carrier sells? That's always confused me. It's because of reasons like that, plus their beef with phones tethering is one of the reasons I remain a Sprint customer.

Chad H.
    VZ and Sprint will be getting the same updated Tour.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ausch View Post
    Thats a separate "designed" unit. Theres not one in pre-prod yet. The WiFi Tour will be out for Sprint, and it wont take a year.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    I thought WiMax went the way of the dodo.
    Sprint is hanging on to WiMax being their 4G network. Why they are doing this, when the majority of the world is going LTE is beyond me.

ausch is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    Just Ask
    Device
    9XXX
    OS
    x.x.x.xxx
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by radioguinea View Post
    Thats a separate "designed" unit. Theres not one in pre-prod yet. The WiFi Tour will be out for Sprint, and it wont take a year.
    If I remember correctly you corrected me and said we won't see a Tour type device with Wi-Fi a while back. Care to clear that up?

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by ausch
    Quote Originally Posted by radioguinea View Post
    If I remember correctly you corrected me and said we won't see a Tour type device with Wi-Fi a while back. Care to clear that up?
    Guys please play it nice

To defend both of you: RIM is constantly changing things, so this may not have been the case a while back, and now is. We don't know all the internal processes and decisions that are going on. It may still change again.