Strange Issue with VZW Tour 9630
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Strange Issue with VZW Tour 9630

  1. #1
    Resq is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    13
    Liked
    0 times

    Strange Issue with VZW Tour 9630

    I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

    My wife's Tour has been reassigning ring tones and changing sounds profiles. There is no rhyme or reason. I have tried a backup, wipe and restore. Still happens after a few days. I spoke with VZW Tech support. Tried just backing up the address book and did a wipe and only reloaded the address book. Before backing up both times I had removed all custom ring tones and profiles. My wife isn't an App hound, actually she only uses Pandora, Facebook, BBM, e-mail, and of course, talking. She isn't a internet surfing freak, she occasionally surfs. Oh yea, version 4.7 no hybrids, whatever the current VZW approved version, don't have the phone in front of me, I'll update version later.

    Its driving her crazy, thus driving me crazy.:aargh4:

    If anyone can help.

    Current version is 4.7.1.61
    Last edited by Resq; 03-09-2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Updated version #




  2. #2
    TemperamentalMan's Avatar
    TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    9550
    OS
    5.0.0.607
    Posts
    937
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

    My wife's Tour has been reassigning ring tones and changing sounds profiles. There is no rhyme or reason. I have tried a backup, wipe and restore. Still happens after a few days. I spoke with VZW Tech support. Tried just backing up the address book and did a wipe and only reloaded the address book. Before backing up both times I had removed all custom ring tones and profiles. My wife isn't an App hound, actually she only uses Pandora, Facebook, BBM, e-mail, and of course, talking. She isn't a internet surfing freak, she occasionally surfs. Oh yea, version 4.7 no hybrids, whatever the current VZW approved version, don't have the phone in front of me, I'll update version later.

    Its driving her crazy, thus driving me crazy.:aargh4:

    If anyone can help.
    I feel your pain.

    It seems like I read about this somewhere on the Tour. I'm searching but haven't found anything yet. I'm also going to report this post for member help thinking someone else on the team may be more able to point you in the right direction.

  3. #3
    Resq is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    13
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TemperamentalMan View Post
    I feel your pain.

    It seems like I read about this somewhere on the Tour. I'm searching but haven't found anything yet. I'm also going to report this post for member help thinking someone else on the team may be more able to point you in the right direction.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Neolantis's Avatar
    Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,578
    Liked
    189 times
    You may have to just go through each profile and set the tone for what she wants. I had this happen on my Storm and it drove me crazy for a while.

    I ended up setting the options in each different sound profile (vibrate, med, high, etc...) and going to the options and changing it.

    It takes about 15 minutes to go through them all if no-one else comes up with an easy fix for you.

    good luck.... :147: and I hope that helps
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

  5. #5
    Resq is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    13
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    You may have to just go through each profile and set the tone for what she wants. I had this happen on my Storm and it drove me crazy for a while.

    I ended up setting the options in each different sound profile (vibrate, med, high, etc...) and going to the options and changing it.

    It takes about 15 minutes to go through them all if no-one else comes up with an easy fix for you.

    good luck.... :147: and I hope that helps
    I have tried this. It keeps on changing all by itself. Called Verizon again last night and they are willing to replace the phone but I'm hesitant to backup the phone using BBDM and restoring the new phone. The tech at Verizon said the data in the address book could be corrupt, and that's what is causing this. I'm thinking this could be possible. I don't know for sure. She has a fairly large address book. Is there any other way I can backup the address book without using BBDM? Possibly through e-mail account?

  6. #6
    joshjamie's Avatar
    joshjamie is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow joshjamie On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kitchener
    PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.85
    Posts
    545
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq View Post
    I have tried this. It keeps on changing all by itself. Called Verizon again last night and they are willing to replace the phone but I'm hesitant to backup the phone using BBDM and restoring the new phone. The tech at Verizon said the data in the address book could be corrupt, and that's what is causing this. I'm thinking this could be possible. I don't know for sure. She has a fairly large address book. Is there any other way I can backup the address book without using BBDM? Possibly through e-mail account?
    You could try smrtguard. This app will backup everything and restore. All ota. Its a 30 day full blown trial and I highly recommend this app for the security as well. The address is www.smrtguard.com
    Posted via mobile device

  7. #7
    Macaroni86's Avatar
    Macaroni86 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow Macaroni86 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    5.0.0.419
    Posts
    53
    Liked
    0 times
    I had this happen on mine but it only changed for certain individuals. I found out that my phone was setting ringtones for people in my phone because of how it was getting bumped around in my pocket. I just had to go to profiles and check my contact alerts and erase any that were made by accident. Don't know if this is the same problem or not.
    Posted via mobile device

  8. #8
    Resq is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    13
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaroni86 View Post
    I had this happen on mine but it only changed for certain individuals. I found out that my phone was setting ringtones for people in my phone because of how it was getting bumped around in my pocket. I just had to go to profiles and check my contact alerts and erase any that were made by accident. Don't know if this is the same problem or not.
    Posted via mobile device
    Didn't think about that. After just talking with my wife she just informed me that she doesn't lock her phone when she puts it in her purse. She doesn't use a case, its got one of the rubber shell protectors. We're going to try locking it for a week and see how it goes.

  9. #9
    Macaroni86's Avatar
    Macaroni86 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow Macaroni86 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    5.0.0.419
    Posts
    53
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq View Post
    ===== QUOTE Macaroni86 ====

    I had this happen on mine but it only changed for certain individuals. I found out that my phone was setting ringtones for people in my phone because of how it was getting bumped around in my pocket. I just had to go to profiles and check my contact alerts and erase any that were made by accident. Don't know if this is the same problem or not.
    Posted via mobile device

    ===== /QUOTE ====



    Didn't think about that. After just talking with my wife she just informed me that she doesn't lock her phone when she puts it in her purse. She doesn't use a case, its got one of the rubber shell protectors. We're going to try locking it for a week and see how it goes.
    Yea check the contact alerts under the profiles and lock the phone and see what happens. Hopefully that helps

    Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    own ShimmyShine made some awesome apps. Support him by downloading them so he can get a berry: http://www.jefflhunt.com/

    Wanna read some of my random thoughts? Follow me @macaroni86

  10. #10
    AcmeCocktailCo is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow AcmeCocktailCo On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    PIN
    PM me for
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    vWhatever's most recent
    Posts
    46
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't remember the exact reason, but it's a little more than just not locking the phone, although that certainly doesn't help!

    That said, under "Contact Alerts," be sure to delete every one of the individually assigned ones (you'll just see a list of people from her contacts book).

    This--and locking the phone--should clear it up.

  11. #11
    visortgw's Avatar
    visortgw is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Device
    9650 (aka Bold)
    OS
    v5.0.0.975
    Posts
    10
    Liked
    2 times

    Lightbulb

    This is a known issue with OS v4.7.1.61 (and possibly other v4.7.1 variants). Whenever a contact is edited on the device, a Contact Alert is created for that contact using the default ringtone. From Profiles, select Set Contact Alerts, and delete all entries. You will need to do this periodically as they will continue to be added as you edit contacts (on the device) over time.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •