Torch 9850
    OS
    7.x
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Liked
    7 times

Delay Opening Text Messages or Email on BB 9850

I have noticed the past week or so that there is a delay when opening email, text, or combined inbox on my BB 9850. Sometimes I see a hour glass and sometimes there is no indication that anything is happening as I can select other icons and they open, but selecting the email/text does nothing.

I thought maybe the problem had to do with the number of items in my list. I had the auto delete set to 30 days. I moved that back to 15 days and the problem continues. If I select the Messages icon and it does not open immediately, it will open within a few seconds even if I have another application running it will pop in front of it. I am not sure what is happening, but it is as if a process is running in the Messages section to not allow it to open.

Again, this started within the past week. I am running 7.1.0.267 which I have been running for a while. Tried changing the "Days to Keep Messages" option from 30 to 15 days and have not noticed a improvement in the problem. I have also tried rebooting and it comes back within a hour or two of rebooting.

Anyone else had this problem or know how to correct it?

havertyj is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow havertyj On Twitter
    PIN
    32FD2D9C
    Device
    Torch 9850
    OS
    7.x
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Liked
    7 times
    I apologize, I realized just now I posted this in the group section. Should have been in 9850 group which I thought I had selected.

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1503 times
    Thread moved to correct forum.

Have you installed any messages integrated app lately that may be causing the issue?

Otherwise I would consider installing a later OS for your device... 9850_7.1.0.402 - Downloads - BlackBerryOS.com

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    498 times
    I thought about havertyj issue(s), and this has third party application written all over it.

Personally, when it comes to my messages, emails, SMS, MMS, BBM, I choose not to install any third party application, as it may cause serious headaches and cause conflicts with your BlackBerry's default message delivery system.

If after you have rebooted, go to Options>Device>Application Management, and scroll down to any third party apps you may have recently installed, as it may have possibly interfered with your messages.

Also, as Joe has mentioned above, I would definitely upgrade your Blackberry Torch 9850 from OS7.1.0.267 to OS7.1.0.402.

Keep us posted if this issue remains.

Thank you.
    Joe Jerde likes this.

PIN
    32FD2D9C
    Device
    Torch 9850
    OS
    7.x
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jerde View Post
    Thread moved to correct forum.

Have you installed any messages integrated app lately that may be causing the issue?

Otherwise I would consider installing a later OS for your device... 9850_7.1.0.402 - Downloads - BlackBerryOS.com
    Thank you! Sorry about posting in wrong section.

No, I have not installed any message integrated apps. In fact, I do not think I have installed anything new in the past two weeks and this suddenly started.

I will try going to the current OS to see if that clears it up. I seem to recall something like this happening with text messages on my Curve 8330 where as I received more and more text it would have problems displaying. With my Torch, I basically do not delete any text message that comes in and just let it delete automatically which appears to work. I do have my messages grouped which I notice it has been saying that frequently where I go into my texts and a message says "Grouping..." and then the texts disappear. I wonder if it is "Grouping..." when it is not displaying to me and then once it finishes it is showing the texts.

I will give the next OS a try to see how that works.

Thank you!

PIN
    32FD2D9C
    Device
    Torch 9850
    OS
    7.x
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Liked
    7 times
    I forgot that I was prompted to update Blackberry Protect last week. It prompted with a message saying that a library had to be updated. Other than that, no other changes. I will find some time to go to the current OS and see how that works.

grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    498 times
    Quote Originally Posted by havertyj View Post
    I forgot that I was prompted to update Blackberry Protect last week. It prompted with a message saying that a library had to be updated. Other than that, no other changes. I will find some time to go to the current OS and see how that works.
    I also use BlackBerry Protect on my Bold 9900, and it's a life saver for me, it provides a back-up for the most important data.

You can choose daily, weekly, or monthly back-ups, and the best feature is you can log in to locate your BlackBerry via any laptop, or desktop, or even use your BlackBerry PlayBook (via WiFi) using your BlackBerry ID.

The latest BlackBerry Protect version is 1.1.1.65 (see screen shot below)

Delay Opening Text Messages or Email on BB 9850-blackberry-protect-v1.1.1.65.jpg

The link for BlackBerry Protect Log In to locate your BlackBerry device is BlackBerry Protect Login

As for upgrading your BlackBerry OS to 7.1.0.402, there are several improvements over your current OS.

To view your BlackBerry hardware & software versions, go to Options>Device>About Device Versions

Keep us posted whenever you have some time.

We'll be here to further assist you shall you need anymore help.

Thank you.
    Last edited by grimreaper; 05-10-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add screenshot
    Joe Jerde and ganoenk like this.