PIN
    21945A57
    Device
    Curve 8520
    OS
    Liked
    3 times

Exclamation Attempting to recover a dead Torch 9850

I'm hoping this thread can help me and others with this issue get our BlackBerry working again, I have seen others fix their 9900 and I don't see why it should be any different with the 9850. Before anyone say's anything, I CAN'T get a replacement, this is NOT an option for me since the phone was a gift and I live in Dominican Republic, no Sprint here. Here's my story:

So I got a Torch 9850 from Sprint as a gift from a friend. It suffered the nuked syndrome and I haven't been able to fix it. For the first few weeks I messed around with it trying all the steps I knew to get a nuked BlackBerry back alive. My PC does detect the BlackBerry, and so does AppLoader, but it keeps restarting and so AppLoader wouldn't successfully load the OS on it.

A few days ago OS 7.1 was released for the 9850 and YES! AppLoader finally started the loading OS process...but it's not all happiness there either. When it gets to the second step "Wait for device initialization", right after the "Load JVM and system software" step, that's when the restarting starts again.

When AppLoader is reconnecting to JVM, the phone enters a restarting loop and so an error shows saying "Unable to connect to device" and no matter how much I hit "Retry" it won't get past it. So this is where I need help, is there anyone out there that has been able to fix their 9850? If so, how? Or anything that could help get through this, ANYTHING.

Thank you in advance!

PD: BBSAK, BlackBerry Master Control, Jl_cmder, none of those would work they someone don't detect the BlackBerry.
    sweedee likes this.

lshap is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow lshap On Twitter
    Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    7.1.0.250 (B648)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Liked
    78 times
    Lets see if I can help.... from what you posted you have tried alot but there are more then a few ways to run apploader and javaloader.

can you give me a few examples of the ways you have ran them?
    and have you tried to run loader with no JVM?
    the device has a standard way to connect to the ARM. the ARM is the processor and basic foundation that the jvm is overtop of. with that being said, in most cases as long as you can get a red led you should be fine.

post back and we can see if we can get this working.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by stefanybaez View Post
    I'm hoping this thread can help me and others with this issue get our BlackBerry working again, I have seen others fix their 9900 and I don't see why it should be any different with the 9850. Before anyone say's anything, I CAN'T get a replacement, this is NOT an option for me since the phone was a gift and I live in Dominican Republic, no Sprint here. Here's my story:

So I got a Torch 9850 from Sprint as a gift from a friend. It suffered the nuked syndrome and I haven't been able to fix it. For the first few weeks I messed around with it trying all the steps I knew to get a nuked BlackBerry back alive. My PC does detect the BlackBerry, and so does AppLoader, but it keeps restarting and so AppLoader wouldn't successfully load the OS on it.

A few days ago OS 7.1 was released for the 9850 and YES! AppLoader finally started the loading OS process...but it's not all happiness there either. When it gets to the second step "Wait for device initialization", right after the "Load JVM and system software" step, that's when the restarting starts again.

When AppLoader is reconnecting to JVM, the phone enters a restarting loop and so an error shows saying "Unable to connect to device" and no matter how much I hit "Retry" it won't get past it. So this is where I need help, is there anyone out there that has been able to fix their 9850? If so, how? Or anything that could help get through this, ANYTHING.

Thank you in advance!

PD: BBSAK, BlackBerry Master Control, Jl_cmder, none of those would work they someone don't detect the BlackBerry.
    Joe Jerde and stefanybaez like this.

stefanybaez is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow stefanybaez On Twitter
    Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Dominican Republic
    PIN
    21945A57
    Device
    Curve 8520
    OS
    Liked
    3 times
    Hey Leo, thanks for the reply.
    I tried using apploader by running loader.exe, loader.exe /nojvm and by just using desktop manager, all three came back with the same results: a restart loop when I get to "reconnecting to JVM". I find it very curious that even desktop manager alone will recognize the phone but it just won't load the OS. To me that rules out hardware issues but I could be wrong.

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    7.1.0.250 (B648)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Liked
    78 times
    Thanks for the info. By chance have you tried to start the loading with the battery out? and place it back in when it says erasing applications?

Hey Leo, thanks for the reply.
    I tried using apploader by running loader.exe, loader.exe /nojvm and by just using desktop manager, all three came back with the same results: a restart loop when I get to "reconnecting to JVM". I find it very curious that even desktop manager alone will recognize the phone but it just won't load the OS. To me that rules out hardware issues but I could be wrong.

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    7.1.0.250 (B648)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Liked
    78 times
    Additionally is your Usb cord plugged into the pc directly or a usb hub?

PIN
    21945A57
    Device
    Curve 8520
    OS
    Liked
    3 times
    I haven't tried that battery thing, will do now and post the results. And the USB cord is connected directly to the pc.

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    7.1.0.250 (B648)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Liked
    78 times
    Alright, post your results and we will go from there. Make sure you put the battery back in befor the device tries to reinitialize or the load will fail.
    Last edited by lshap; 12-18-2011 at 12:36 PM.

PIN
    21945A57
    Device
    Curve 8520
    OS
    Liked
    3 times
    Reboot loop started like all the other times I tried, I did notice though it took a lot longer to show the error when reconnecting to JVM, but still same result.

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    7.1.0.250 (B648)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Liked
    78 times
    I see. And this is a sprint berry correct? what version of software are you trying to load? it shouldn't matter because its failing at the reconnect but just in case make sure you have the latest version of software downloaded for you device. BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites has the links to download the software. also it may be simple, have you tried a diff usb cord? i have had issues int he past and the cord was the issue. i cant explain why cus it connects in the beginning with but try that
    Reboot loop started like all the other times I tried, I did notice though it took a lot longer to show the error when reconnecting to JVM, but still same result.
    stefanybaez likes this.

PIN
    21945A57
    Device
    Curve 8520
    OS
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this, I appreciate it.
    I downloaded the latest Sprint OS (7.1.0.163). Gonna give it another try with a different cord. Do you think trying this in another PC would make a difference? I have two other laptops here, unfortunately they are all running Windows 7 so that would probably be the same as running it in mine.
    lshap likes this.

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    7.1.0.250 (B648)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Liked
    78 times
    Glad to help anytime, that's what the forums are for. it couldnt hurt to try a different pc. Definitely let me know how it comes out

PIN
    21945A57
    Device
    Curve 8520
    OS
    Liked
    3 times
    Hey Leo, I tried using a new USB cord and a different PC, both with the same results. Starting to lose hope here, anything else you recommend?

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    7.1.0.250 (B648)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Liked
    78 times
    Well Stefany, I'm running out of ideas. With all that we have tried and from what I can tell you seem tech savvy so I have no doubt that your not running the tools correct. I would say at this point it may very well be a hardware issue. I know thats the last thing you wanted to hear but seem to be the case. I will pick the brain of a few of my coworkers and see if they can come up with anything new. If so ill post back or PM you with info.

best wishes.
    Lenny
    stefanybaez likes this.

PIN
    21945A57
    Device
    Curve 8520
    OS
    Liked
    3 times
    Yeah that's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any secret BlackBerry revival technique lol. Anyway, thank you so much for all the help. Out of the 5 forums I posted this on, only you took the time to help me out. Thanks a ton!
    Cheers
    lshap likes this.

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    7.1.0.250 (B648)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Liked
    78 times
    Anytime

Yeah that's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any secret BlackBerry revival technique lol. Anyway, thank you so much for all the help. Out of the 5 forums I posted this on, only you took the time to help me out. Thanks a ton!
    Cheers

daqie is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow daqie On Twitter
    PIN
    234125e6
    Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    1 times
    I had a similar problem on my 9800. It worked for me... How-To Recover A Nuked Blackberry - with Pictures
    Last edited by Joe Jerde; 12-19-2011 at 04:25 PM. Reason: changed link to bbos guide
    lshap likes this.

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    7.1.0.250 (B648)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Liked
    78 times
    Thanks for the input daqie. We tried everything in that article already.

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1503 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daqie View Post
    I had a similar problem on my 9800. It worked for me... How-To Recover A Nuked Blackberry - with Pictures
    We have that same guide. Changed link to .

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

BlaxBerry is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Liked
    0 times
    i may have missed it, If so, please forgive me if i did. I read everything and i know u have the 9850. why dont u try the 9860 install. they arent the say. maybe your phone will take that one.

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1503 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaxBerry View Post
    i may have missed it, If so, please forgive me if i did. I read everything and i know u have the 9850. why dont u try the 9860 install. they arent the say. maybe your phone will take that one.
    9860 and 9850 operating systems aren't interchangeable.
    madmanmoon likes this.

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast