Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Carrier
    The "New" AT&T
    Liked
    123 times

It is FINALLY Here - The BlackBerry Torch 9800 Releases on AT&T Network

Update: After only having the phone for a few hours I wrote a review on the front page for all preparing to buy the BlackBerry Torch 9800. Now that I have had my device for aprox. 24 hrs, I have decided to add more/edit some of my previous article. Read below and see what i have changed. All new text will be in Green.

It's Here!!! In some areas around the globe users have been buying the BlackBerry Torch for hours now, and in other time zones store are not yet open. The leaks all looked promising and the images/videos from RIM just looks spectacular, but what are you buying and is it worth it? I would say yes, and some would already know that I received my Torch 9800 Yesterday. So yes! It is most certainly worth the $199 (w/ New Activation or Upgrade).

The main reason why this device is getting such a big hype is the wonderful new BlackBerry Touch Screen. There is no clicking or screen movement like in the Storm series, it is just a flat touch screen. We also can not forget the already amazing BlackBerry keyboard that is attached to the device via a vertical slide. This option gives the best of both world to a BlackBerry user. If you are like me, you have avoided the touch screen phones because of the lack of physical keys. No need to avoid the Torch, since it has both.

If you are wondering what is in the box, here is an out of box list for you.

In the Box
    :
    • The BlackBerry 9800 Torch
    • 4GB Memory Card (Inside the Phone)
    • Hands Free 3.5m Stereo Headset
    • All New Charger/USB Cable
    • QuickStart and Safety Booklet
    • Mini DVD Full Manual

**The one thing that is missing in the box is a holster or case for the BlackBerry. In the past they have always included some type of holster or case with their phones… but this time not.

Touch Screen, is a major part of this phone. That being said, it defiantly makes the phone. The touch screen of the Torch has a very fluid movement to it. It has yet to get stuck or take long to respond to anything I have done on the phone. The touch screen is quick and easy to access any aspect of the screen. the only thing left I can say about this is that I have been zipping around my touch and loving it. The crazy part is I used to be anti touch.

On Screen Keyboard... This is something I was really worried about. Yes, if I did not like the feature I could always just slide out the Keypad and off I go. Not all situations are keypad friendly however, and the virtual keyboard is there for those one thumb times. So I was really worried about that, but after using the device for 24 hours that is not the case. The on screen keyboard is like no other. It is VERY smart. As you speed around the pad pressing keys, have no fear if you miss a key. Just by the area of your click the phone will figure out what word you actually meant to press. Moving around the keypad is smooth and quick, one could easily send a quick message using one hand and one thumb.

Its time for something negative guys. Sorry, not every thing in this review can be perfect.
    The Battery indicator. For some ridiculous reason RIM removed the color yellow from the battery indicator. This is not good for some of us that need their phone always running with a good charge. Yellow was my chance to charge. When you phone hits Yellow and it meant 25-30% and then it would change to Red about 10-15%. Now you start at White (as normal) and continue with White until you reach the Red indicator, it just skips Yellow. This is a personal opinion but I DO NOT like this. Poor, Poor News!!!

On to the web browsing on the Torch is MUCH MUCH quick than the 9700 (My Previous Phone). For those that have complained about the speeds of the web, here is your solution. The BlackBerry Torch cuts web browsing time almost in half, and in some casing more than half. After trolling around the web on both phones I did some clocking and formed the list below.

BlackBerry Bold 2 9700 with OS 5
    13 seconds for NYTimes.com (mobile version)
    10 seconds for CNN.com (mobile version)
    96 seconds for BlackBerryOS.com
    2.8 seconds for Google.com (mobile version)
    7 seconds for YouTube (mobile version)
    16 seconds for ESPN (mobile version)
    17 seconds for TMZ.com
    45 seconds for BlackBerry.com
    34 seconds for Twitter.com

BlackBerry Torch 9800 with OS 6
    7.1 seconds for NYTimes.com (mobile version)
    9.9 seconds for CNN.com (mobile version)
    33 seconds for BlackBerryOS.com
    2.1 seconds for Google.com (mobile version)
    19 seconds for YouTube (mobile version)
    15 seconds for ESPN (mobile version)
    11.5 seconds for TMZ.com
    31.5 seconds for BlackBerry.com
    17 seconds for Twitter.com

Final Thoughts:
    LoL, look at me, using Jerry Springers words. Sorry Jerry! Anyway, here is my rating 4.8 of 5 Stars. And here is why.

This being my 5th or 6th BlackBerry (I can't remember lol) and a former AT&T employee, I have seen my fair share of BlackBerry's along the way. This is by far my favorite device to date. Why I gave a 4.8 and not a 5.0, is simple based on the lack of something extra. Looking at the phone, it is pretty much a Storm slammed with a Bold 2. Where is that little extra change, or addition of something. OS6? Yes, it ROCKS! However, I still feel as though RIM could have done just alittle more.

If you watch any type of talent show on cable (So you think you can dance, American Idol, X Factor, Americas Got Talent...) you always here the judges mention the "it" factor or that "Star Quality". That is what the 9800 is lacking. I think it is an amazing phone, and will sell circles around some androids and possibly the "No Reception" iPhone4. Even though I think it is just a phone. Nothing to glamorous or crazy exciting that just places this phone at the top of the charts.

Agree with me or not, make sure you tell us how you feel by replying to this thread. If you do not have this phone yet, lets try not to be to critical or BlackBerry or RIM. I PROMISE this phone will change RIM and BlackBerry. Hopefully it just changes is a good direction!
    Last edited by TheOnlyJrod; 08-13-2010 at 01:08 AM.

MJS
    MJS is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow MJS On Twitter
    PIN
    333C8F0F
    Device
    Z10/PB32
    OS
    10.1.2009/2.1.0.840
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    27 times
    Feedback?
    Posted via mobile device

MJS
    MJS is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow MJS On Twitter
    PIN
    333C8F0F
    Device
    Z10/PB32
    OS
    10.1.2009/2.1.0.840
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    27 times
    Is it worth dropping Verizon?
    Posted via mobile device

mindy is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Torch
    OS
    Liked
    1 times

Fully agree.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyJrod View Post

It's Here!!! In some areas around the globe users have been buying the BlackBerry Torch for hours now, and in other time zones store are not yet open. The leaks all looked promising and the images/videos from RIM just looks spectacular, but what are you buying and is it worth it? I would say yes, and some would already know that I received my Torch 9800 Yesterday. So yes! It is most certainly worth the $199 (w/ New Activation or Upgrade).

The main reason why this device is getting such a big hype is the wonderful new BlackBerry Touch Screen. There is no clicking or screen movement like in the Storm series, it is just a flat touch screen. We also can not forget the already amazing BlackBerry keyboard that is attached to the device via a vertical slide. This option gives the best of both world to a BlackBerry user. If you are like me, you have avoided the touch screen phones because of the lack of physical keys. No need to avoid the Torch, since it has both.

If you are wondering what is in the box, here is an out of box list for you.

In the Box
    :
    • The BlackBerry 9800 Torch
    • 4GB Memory Card (Inside the Phone)
    • Hands Free 3.5m Stereo Headset
    • All New Charger/USB Cable
    • QuickStart and Safety Booklet
    • Mini DVD Full Manual

**The one thing that is missing in the box is a holster or case for the BlackBerry. In the past they have always included some type of holster or case with their phones… but this time not.

The web browsing on the Torch is MUCH MUCH quick than the 9700 (My Previous Phone). For those that have complained about the speeds of the web, here is your solution. The BlackBerry Torch cuts web browsing time almost in half, and in some casing more than half. After trolling around the web on both phones I did some clocking and formed the list below.

BlackBerry Bold 2 9700 with OS 5
    13 seconds for NYTimes.com (mobile version)
    10 seconds for CNN.com (mobile version)
    96 seconds for BlackBerryOS.com
    2.8 seconds for Google.com (mobile version)
    7 seconds for YouTube (mobile version)
    16 seconds for ESPN (mobile version)
    17 seconds for TMZ.com
    45 seconds for BlackBerry.com
    34 seconds for Twitter.com

BlackBerry Torch 9800 with OS 6
    7.1 seconds for NYTimes.com (mobile version)
    9.9 seconds for CNN.com (mobile version)
    33 seconds for BlackBerryOS.com
    2.1 seconds for Google.com (mobile version)
    19 seconds for YouTube (mobile version)
    15 seconds for ESPN (mobile version)
    11.5 seconds for TMZ.com
    31.5 seconds for BlackBerry.com
    17 seconds for Twitter.com

Final Thoughts:
    LoL, look at me, using Jerry Springers words. Sorry Jerry! Anyway, here is my rating 4.8 of 5 Stars. And here is why.

This being my 5th or 6th BlackBerry (I can't remember lol) and a former AT&T employee, I have seen my fair share of BlackBerry's along the way. This is by far my favorite device to date. Why I gave a 4.8 and not a 5.0, is simple based on the lack of something extra. Looking at the phone, it is pretty much a Storm slammed with a Bold 2. Where is that little extra change, or addition of something. OS6? Yes, it ROCKS! However, I still feel as though RIM could have done just alittle more.

If you watch any type of talent show on cable (So you think you can dance, American Idol, X Factor, Americas Got Talent...) you always here the judges mention the "it" factor or that "Star Quality". That is what the 9800 is lacking. I think it is an amazing phone, and will sell circles around some androids and possibly the "No Reception" iPhone4. Even though I think it is just a phone. Nothing to glamorous or crazy exciting that just places this phone at the top of the charts.

Agree with me or not, make sure you tell us how you feel by replying to this thread. If you do not have this phone yet, lets try not to be to critical or BlackBerry or RIM. I PROMISE this phone will change RIM and BlackBerry. Hopefully it just changes is a good direction!
    AMAZING phone. Back in business.:haha:

TheOnlyJrod is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    Just Ask!
    Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Carrier
    The "New" AT&T
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Is it worth dropping Verizon?
    Posted via mobile device
    I have never been a big fan of Big Red's Big BILLS, so this may be slightly jaded.

Your answer is Yes! If AT&T gets good service by you. (Check their Map)
    Then it is waaay worth switching. This phone is growing on my like I never thought.

porkrind is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Droid Incredible
    Liked
    0 times
    Don't suppose anyone knows when big red will het this? ATT doesn't have 3G coverage where I live.
    Posted via mobile device

TheOnlyJrod is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    Just Ask!
    Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Carrier
    The "New" AT&T
    Liked
    123 times
    I have seen zero info on a Verizon version. Sorry.

Also stay tuned I have a load more to say about this phone. I am almost at the 24 hour mark so I have learn way more about the phone and have grown to like it waaay more then my OP.

DarkBerry is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    OS
    Willyboy v8.0 Hybrid
    Liked
    1 times
    How about backwards compatibility? Are the old apps like BerryBuzz or IM+ working well in OS 6?