Another BlackBerry slider rumor. Is a portrait slider in the future?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another BlackBerry slider rumor. Is a portrait slider in the future?

Natemz is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Natemz On Twitter
    PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Liked
    19 times

Another BlackBerry slider rumor. Is a portrait slider in the future?

We have been hearing about rumors of a BlackBerry slider for a while now. We have also heard (and seen) rumors about the touchscreen/QWERTY hybrid device known as the Magnum/Dakota. Well, here is another one to throw in the pot. Boy Genius has been given some information about a new portrait slider rumor. This slider is said to include OS 6.0 and 100% support for 802.11n.

Now the picture above is just a photoshopped picture that I made up. But in a weird kind of way, I think I would really like it. Having a nice big touchscreen is what I want for reading emails and browsing the web. But a sliding QWERTY keyboard would make the device great for typing. But I don't know if a portrait slider would be as easy to use as a landscape slider. So what do you guys think? Would you like to see this portrait slider become reality? Or would you rather just have a traditional slider BlackBerry?

Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz

TheOnlyJrod is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    Just Ask!
    Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Carrier
    The "New" AT&T
    Liked
    123 times
    This is so silly, and a rumor is all it will stay.

The Magnum aka Dakota is more practical then a touch slider!

billandrewsjr is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow billandrewsjr On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 2 on T-Mobile
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Yuck. The only thjing that would work would be a side slider. Bottom sliders only work when you have a smaller screen and want an overall smaller footprint. Wait a minute. All this talk of sliders makes me hungry. Off to White Castle's ...

shaydlife is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Liked
    0 times
    At some point the people who start these rumors have to realize how easy it is to tell when they're reaching too high to fake people out. Have blackberry users become that gullible? Please.

PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billandrewsjr View Post
    Yuck. The only thjing that would work would be a side slider. Bottom sliders only work when you have a smaller screen and want an overall smaller footprint. Wait a minute. All this talk of sliders makes me hungry. Off to White Castle's ...
    How do we know that this phone wouldn't have a small footprint? Could be a smaller phone.
    Posted via mobile device

bbprintz215 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow bbprintz215 On Twitter
    PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I think this would be a cool concept. then again, most concepts are cool. the question will be how does RIM execute the concept. I think it would be a nice idea if RIM released a portrait and landscape oriented slider. that way we wouldn't have to argue about it we could choose whichever we preferred. then again, i guess it would be cool to see pigs fly also...

ShimmyShine is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow ShimmyShine On Twitter
    PIN
    Just ask!
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree with billandrewsjr in the opinion that it would be MUCH better as a side slider. If it shrunk as much as the pre then the up sliding might, just might work..
    "Shimmy, I love it when you talk nerdy to me!" - Natemz

era3z is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow era3z On Twitter
    PIN
    256f68a* (ask =p)
    Device
    Cars, Medicine Tennis, Basketball, Billiards Comics, Mystery novels Mr.bean (shqip), The Bodyguard f
    Liked
    3 times
    well..... I think side slider is better than bottom slider...

tfrankson is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow tfrankson On Twitter
    PIN
    292604B2
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    I would like to see a touchscreen/full qwerty keyboard in the near future. But I hope it doesn't look like this. I agree a side slider would look better. Lets see what comes of this.

Bitpartdemon is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Bitpartdemon On Twitter
    PIN
    2350E958
    Device
    9800/ PB
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Mmmm white castle sliders, sadly not in Canada. oh wait that's not what this thread is about.

A slider BB? I would like to see a bit of a larger screen and still have my beloved keyboard. Gotta love the age old tradtion of rumours, they're only true after something becomes a reality. I will patiently await what actually come to pass. I wouldn't argue with more choices in BB.
    Posted via mobile device

travisn000 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    --304E1F01--
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    ..once upon a time I owned a Samsung i730; it was a full sized touchscreen (winmo) phone with a bottom/portriat slider. In my option it beat the side sliders hands-down, mainly becase I could operate it one handed, or with two for faster / longer typing.

With the exception of the monster battery I had to attach to the back of it to make it through the day, I really liked the general form factor. I would expect that a similar device built today would be quite a bit thinner though.

As you can see by the reviews, I wasn't the only person that liked it...

Another "feature" that I really do miss from that thing was the high powered infrared transmitter.. I can't tell you how great it was to be sitting in a restaurant / bar and be able to control the TV Channel from my phone!

Last edited by travisn000; 02-27-2010 at 10:36 AM.

billandrewsjr is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow billandrewsjr On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 2 on T-Mobile
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    True. It could be smaller. I was just thinking, the good thing about a portrait slider is one handed operation while you drive :bigeyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Natemz View Post
    How do we know that this phone wouldn't have a small footprint? Could be a smaller phone.
    Posted via mobile device

wobly is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    OS
    5.0.something.something
    Liked
    1 times
    I would love to see this. It can't be any worse than the 8220. :P

Bee
    Bee is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 2
    OS
    v5.0.0.428
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs down Hellz no!!!!!

For the love of god stop with the sliders. There the biggest piece of crap on a phone. Were in the new age now. The technology age. Think of something bigger and better. Enough with the old shit. Sheesh. No wonder china is way ahead of us in technology. :no:

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    For the love of god stop with the sliders. There the biggest piece of crap on a phone. Were in the new age now. The technology age. Think of something bigger and better. Enough with the old shit. Sheesh. No wonder china is way ahead of us in technology. :no:
    I agree with you 100% on this. At the same time, you have to remember even though slider phones have been around since the pilgrims, it is something new to RIM. It's sad that they are so far behind on design types that they are finally getting to the slider aspect of devices.

intheb0x is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Liked
    0 times
    would be nice to see.

wonder if its true..
    Quote Originally Posted by Servovestri View Post
    Ah... g/fs are overrated - your blackberry never leaves your side, is intrinsically cheaper (monetary-wise), and it knows exactly the way you like it (data anyway).

:laugh2: its the truth :P

Madasafish is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Madasafish On Twitter
    PIN
    suck it...
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    BB10
    Carrier
    Liked
    3 times
    If its similar to the NOKIA N900 size I would be happy. That has a landscape keyboard that slides out from under a touch screen which is quite large.

The NOKIA N97 is too small and the keyboard is good but again too small (well fir my cow udders of fingers).
    The screen is difficult to use but has some really good features.

The Berry Slider Could be really good if RIM looks at the others on the market and uses that knowledge wisely.

PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Liked
    19 times
    I still think portrait slider would be cool. Like many of the others have said, one handed operation would be really nice. But it needs to be a little smaller than the Storm but a little bigger than the Pre.
    Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz

Bugly is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Bugly On Twitter
    PIN
    307959E6
    Device
    Antique 9530
    OS
    Whatever works today
    Liked
    0 times
    You all do realize that if his device is going to be a slider, it'll probably be a touch screen that slides out, and will have a whole new pile of issues.
    Have you ever wondered why things intended to make our lives simpler keep getting more complicated to use?

Prince Jah is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    NING 1 "CO
    Device
    S2 and Wifey S1
    OS
    Lyric(705H)/607 OS P
    Liked
    0 times
    True. It could be smaller. I was just thinking, the good thing about a portrait slider is one handed operation while you drive :bigeyes:

Ahhh..From a safety's standpoint, you should not be using your phone while driving anyways..That's what Bluetooth is for. Just my $.02.

Anyways...
    If the S3 ends up looking like that, RIM will financially suffer a great deal..It looks like the old Samsung I730 PDA..I understand that the slider technology is "New" to RIM but the Storm is not a device to be used to experience that slider with. Rim Should just "CONCENTRATE" on the interior technology of the phone. Browser, Flash, maybe pich zoom, HD like screen resolution, Faster processor and Boot up time, A higher quality camera (current one is not bad). Design wise, I feel that the S2 looks great as is right now. Come on Rim, Us BB users are trying to move forward, not backwords (Technology and design wise as well)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast