Must Haves in a Theme - Pay or Not!
Hi, I'm Goldwinger, and I'm a theme junkie!
Well maybe it's not that bad (yes it is yes it is :aargh4:), but I do buy a lot of themes and I try a lot of themes. So I think I know what I like and don't like about themes (this of course is a personal opinion).
I want to throw out there a few things that I think need to be in a theme that I would buy or use. These are not mandatory in all cases and some themes have an appeal that will entice me to make a few minor changes to the way I work. So for what it's worth, here's what I look for in a theme:
1. Functionality. I need it to be usable on a daily basis as I use my phone for work and play. Nothing says dork like laying your phone down on the table with a Hello Kitty theme staring back at you. :o Don't get me wrong, there's a place and plenty of people who like Hello Kitty, just not for me and why I use my phone. So I need a theme that is more business than play.
2. Hotspots. Call me lazy, but I like hotspots for my favorite programs. I use Meterberry and I want to see it. There's something comfortable about the rotating icon that lets me know the status of my Berry. Quicklaunch, well that's pretty much the number one hotspot for me. Having a QL hotspot will make up for not having the others, but it had better be a Grand Theme if QL is going to be the only hotspot. Don't waste the screen, give me some user definable hotspots, I'll figure it out from there. :p I use WB for my background, it makes sense and just looks cool.:cool2:
3. Speed. DUH! :eek: Ok, so this is like telling a human they need oxygen, but you would be surprised (maybe not) by the number of theme makers who don't pay enough attention to this area.
4. Icons. Call me boring, but I like the stock icons. I'll even take icons with a slight variation on the stock icons. To me, there are only a few guys/gals who get it, Nate and RJ come to mind real quick. Again, I need it to look like I'm a professional. Trust me, I'll screw it up from there and don't need help from my phone! :o
5. Fonts. As the years go by, my need for larger fonts continues to grow. Not on everything, but at least on the time. However, I don't need it to take up have the screen, it just needs to be readable for an old guy. :amish: Also, when someone calls in, I like the font to be large enough that I can read the name of who's calling.
Well that's about it. There are other things that attract me to a theme, but these are the things that will get the theme bought or used for me. Right now I have 4 themes on the Storm other than the stock theme. My current list reads like this: NU Simplicity by RJ (excellent), BBZen Pro Orange by Nate (also excellent), OS6 by WJD (good, just needs the hotspots to be excellent) and Impakt - Bounce Back by JP (some work needed in my opinion, but real close. MB doesn't show the info on the screen and hotspots).
I'm sure there are some folks who would argue with my list and that's ok, just remember, it's my list, not yours. I'd love to hear from you on your list and why the theme made your list. It would be interesting to see why people buy or use themes. I'm sure theme makers would like to know. :)