Memory leak and shrink on .328 - Page 2

View Poll Results: If you have a bad memory leak on .328 did you shrink or not?

Voters
37. This poll is closed
  • Yes

17 45.95%
  • No

20 54.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory leak and shrink on .328

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    I had a terrible memory leak, started at 34mb and within an hour was down to 5mb. Remove the theme I was running and now it has been rock solid at 32mb for a couple of hours. I tried 5 different themes and all of them tanked my memory. Very strange as these same themes did not have a negative effect on previous OS's

heloguy is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by heloguy View Post
    i cant seem to shrink. when i click shrink my os, it says i have 0mb in my java before and after "shrinking" am i missing something?
    i tried shrinking it with an older version of shrink-an-os and it worked. i guess the newest version (4.3) of shrink-an-os isnt compatible with this new os?

RICKING is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    3163FD58
    Device
    curve 8520
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

5.0 os leaks

new here how do i shrink my os it is all over the place. from 19 to 3
    RICHARD "CRACKBERRY" KING

naillady_1 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    BBC-V10
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    I had a terrible memory leak, started at 34mb and within an hour was down to 5mb. Remove the theme I was running and now it has been rock solid at 32mb for a couple of hours. I tried 5 different themes and all of them tanked my memory. Very strange as these same themes did not have a negative effect on previous OS's
    Ok I'm going to try this also.....getting rid of my themes! I've had nothing but memory issues since .323 and now .328 seems just as bad if not worse! I'm going to test this therory and delete my themes for a day or so and see if I notice an improvement! Thanks!
    My Favorite Apps.
    AP Mobile News, AppWorld, bbOSalert, BerryBuzz, Poynt, Google Maps, NFL2009, Facebook, PatternLock, QuickLaunch, SimpleWeather, Storm Yahtzee,Yahoo, BBM & VondafoneUpdate

My Favorite Blackberry Site....

naillady_1 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    BBC-V10
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by heloguy View Post
    i tried shrinking it with an older version of shrink-an-os and it worked. i guess the newest version (4.3) of shrink-an-os isnt compatible with this new os?
    I've been able to use Shrink 4.1 on my last few 5.0 OS/Hybrid installs.
    This is the newest version I can find. Here is the link..........
    http://www.bbhybrids.net/forum/downl...?do=file&id=41
    Last edited by naillady_1; 10-26-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    My Favorite Apps.
    AP Mobile News, AppWorld, bbOSalert, BerryBuzz, Poynt, Google Maps, NFL2009, Facebook, PatternLock, QuickLaunch, SimpleWeather, Storm Yahtzee,Yahoo, BBM & VondafoneUpdate

My Favorite Blackberry Site....

Mustang02 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    30F7ADA8
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I shrank my OS and I noticed a huge memory leak today. After I uninstalled Gmail Enhanced it went away. That thing was sucking the life out of my phone.

bbcrackman is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master
    PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times
    I loaded last night and prior to app and theme install had 43 mbs of mem. After loading all 3rd party apps and themes I had 37.6 mbs after 24 hours and no reboots I am sitting at 36.2. All in all it seems to be pretty stable

List of apps
    Berry Weather
    Slacker
    Berry Silent
    Quick Launc
    Google Sync
    Google Maps
    MaxMem
    Google Talk
    App World

Themes
    So Professional
    AppleBerry Dark Spaces
    Win 7
    Window 7

Orio is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    ch hitter.
    Device
    storm2 9550 VZW
    Liked
    1 times
    I "shrank" my os and really don't seem to see a BIG memory leak. Keep in mind that any OS has to "settle". Give it a few days and evaluate then.

I have probably average 3rd party stuff, and have noticed a little more leak than .323, but still only about less than 9 MB. I boot at 42...been as low as 33. It will get better...

Striker951 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.451\V6
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gordtm View Post
    I did a full shrink and no memory leak at all. Didn't have any either with 323
    Same goes here and I can't complain about battery life either. Sure it isn't some app your running?

pb4uxplode is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I was having a decent memory leak until I got rid of my themes... with no 3rd party themes, my memory is pretty solid. I did shrink out a lot.

I've got installed:
    QuickLaunch
    PatternLock
    Slacker
    YouTube
    YouMail Visual Voicemail Plus
    AIM
    Blackberry Maps
    Facebook

heloguy is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by naillady_1 View Post
    I've been able to use Shrink 4.1 on my last few 5.0 OS/Hybrid installs.
    This is the newest version I can find. Here is the link..........
    BBHybrids Forums - Downloads - Shrink-A-OS
    thanks naillady. thats the one i have also. i typed 4.3 by accident. ill try again. i just downloaded the 328 from verizon to try that version. originally i had the megaupload version because i read that you could shrink that one. ill let you know how i make out.

edit: still a no-go. when i click shrink, it tells me i have 0mb in my java folder, and a second dialogue box pops up saying i have 0mb in java after shrinking.
    i cant figure it out.
    Last edited by heloguy; 10-27-2009 at 09:51 AM.

jarniella is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9550 & Tour 9630
    OS
    Storm .428 Tour 5.0.0.419
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jarniella View Post
    i did shrink my os. it was around 31.49 MB. I took out all except BBM, BB Maps, Default fonts, default themes, voice note recorder. I also manually took out the new games with the large sizes(monopoly, etc) and VCAST.

I start with 45.2 MB when i rebooted at 10:24 am this morning. At 4:25 i'm at 23Mb. i have has the software on the storm since it leaked out on Sunday night.

I will post back with updates on the lowest memory i get.
    ok, here is what i did. i restarted my storm around 7:30p last night. The memory was at 45.3 i didn't use it after that time. when i woke up the next morning, it was at 44.2. not bad. It stayed at this level until 9:59am.

i didn't use my storm until i sent a BBM message at 10:02am. Right after the BBM it started to leak memory. see screen shots

Could it be that BBM is causing the leak?

Device
    Storm 9550 & Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    screen shots are missing. don't know why i can't upload.

Bboyeruga is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Bboyeruga On Twitter
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    OS
    Liked
    2 times
    Just saying this from my perspective, my phone boots up at 25 mb and I am at 1.2 mb right now and I have still never experienced any lag or ever seen my hourglass once. I think we rely on that number too much but thats just me.

**edit and I didn't shrink.
    Last edited by Bboyeruga; 10-27-2009 at 04:12 PM.
    BBThemeDesigns - Themes from BBoyerUGA

Device
    Storm 9550 & Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    here is pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Memory leak and shrink on .328-meterberryscreen.jpg  

T-Rob is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    LOL...yeah, right!
    Device
    BB Storm 9550 - Verizon
    OS
    v5.0.0.607
    Liked
    0 times
    Not sure what I did, but I WAS experiencing a bad mem leak. I deleted some crap off the phone I wasn't using to include all the games. No more mem leak...holding pretty good.

scattaman is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    305836DD
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Wow!!!

People are deleting their Games, themes and Apps just to keep a high memory!! What do you guys do with the phone then?!! I bet you it is the same thing that is going to happen with the storm 2... if it falls under 50mb people are gonna start saying OMG my memory is low!!!

Guys! unless it starts affecting the phone, don't worry about the memory so much!! Your memory doesn't not have to be at 40mb all the time!!

My memory goes to 5mb sometimes and it still runs stable!! Plus I have it restart at 6am every day so that I have a nice 33.5mb of memory to start with whenever I leave for work...
    btw... I think meter berry is having memory issues with .328... it is definitely not a stable app right now... I lost 12mb in the space of 1 hour and I just feel that its this app

T-Rob is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    LOL...yeah, right!
    Device
    BB Storm 9550 - Verizon
    OS
    v5.0.0.607
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scattaman View Post
    Wow!!!

People are deleting their Games, themes and Apps just to keep a high memory!! What do you guys do with the phone then?!! I bet you it is the same thing that is going to happen with the storm 2... if it falls under 50mb people are gonna start saying OMG my memory is low!!!

Guys! unless it starts affecting the phone, don't worry about the memory so much!! Your memory doesn't not have to be at 40mb all the time!!

My memory goes to 5mb sometimes and it still runs stable!! Plus I have it restart at 6am every day so that I have a nice 33.5mb of memory to start with whenever I leave for work...
    btw... I think meter berry is having memory issues with .328... it is definitely not a stable app right now... I lost 12mb in the space of 1 hour and I just feel that its this app
    I didn't use the games anyway...

f-castrillo is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow f-castrillo On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I shrunk 5.0.0.328 using Lyricidal's shrinker (the latest version, I forgot which one that was )

I used to boot at 30MB+, but with every subsequent reboot I get less and less initial memory. My last boot was about 28MB.

Over the last 36 hours, my phone's app memory has fallen really low. I'm currently at 7.5MB. I am not seeing any hit in performance at this time - in the past, I would only see my phone's performance suffer when it went under 4MB (that was on 5.0.0.230).

The only "stable" OS in terms of app mem management was 4.7.0.151. I have the same apps more or less, but I'm assuming that the several updates that these apps have gotten over the past few months may have accidentally introduced memory leaks into the phone.

Opening and closing apps is the tiniest bit slower than a fresh reboot, transitions are still ultra fluid, keyboard lag (switching from ABC to 123) doesn't seem to be linked to app memory, and Browser loads pages normally.

Installed apps:
    Bejeweled 1.0
    CaptureIt 1.4
    ConnectFour 1.02
    Doodle 1.27
    DynoStorm 1.0
    Epocrates Rx 1.309.0
    FlightPath 1.11
    GIST (speed tester) 1.0.2
    Google Maps 3.2.0 (Storm 4.7 version)
    LightsOut 1.0
    YouTube 1.6.10
    MyVerizon 2.0.18
    ParkingLot 1.1
    Personal Assistant (free) 2.4
    SocialScope Lite 0.9.5.44
    tonePad 0.2
    UberTwitter 0.925
    Viigo News 3.1.490
    BerryWeather 1.5.47
    BlackBerry App World 1.1.0.20
    BlackBerry Messenger 5.0.0.33
    BrickBreaker
    Facebook 1.7.0.18
    MySpace 1.5.1.9 (works, but icon under Options -> Applications is a generic blue box)
    WordMole

And yes, I do use these apps from time to time, so deleting them isn't really an option . I know that apps can also be a cause of memory leaks, but is it possible for an app to continue leaking memory when it's fully closed out? The only apps that run in the background (besides the default RIM apps) are BerryWeather, Epocrates, and SocialScope.

EDIT: Oh, if it helps, this is what I shrunk out:
    Last edited by f-castrillo; 10-28-2009 at 02:20 AM.

stevealb is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jarniella View Post
    ok, here is what i did. i restarted my storm around 7:30p last night. The memory was at 45.3 i didn't use it after that time. when i woke up the next morning, it was at 44.2. not bad. It stayed at this level until 9:59am.

i didn't use my storm until i sent a BBM message at 10:02am. Right after the BBM it started to leak memory. see screen shots

Could it be that BBM is causing the leak?
    I was also leaking more than the usual amount of memory. I read in one of the forums that BBM may be the source, so I deleted BBM, did a battery pull, and 18 hours later my memory has only gone down from 40.4 to 40.1.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast