PIN
    306EE4BE
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (Storm 9530)

I don't see too many posts about this but would like some insight. I enabled encryption on my phone because I keep some sensative info on it. The only thing I notice that turning encryption does is force me to use a password. It also slows down the boot process. Any info on what this actually does please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Corey Darling is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyricidal .419/.607 Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    The password protection feature on my storm freaks me out.

Last time I tried it, it glitched out, and it somehow "fogot" my password.

I tried to enter it 10 times, with different combos of capital and lower case, and it finally wiped my phone. Had to reinstall everything.

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chm0690 View Post

I don't see too many posts about this but would like some insight. I enabled encryption on my phone because I keep some sensative info on it. The only thing I notice that turning encryption does is force me to use a password. It also slows down the boot process. Any info on what this actually does please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    First, welcome to !

This is an excerpt from an article I found for you that should help answer your questions. If not, please let us know! The entire article was posted at BizSecurity.

Enable Content Protection
    If you are using a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, then the data that flies back and forth between your handheld and the server is encrypted. The data stored on your handheld is a different story.

Content Protection will encrypt your emails and other content stored in the machine. By choosing this option, you will be protected if someone were to connect the device to a USB port and attempt to read its memory. To enable Content Protection, go to Options > Security Options > General Settings. Set Content Protection to Enabled. You have the choice of applying Content Protection to your Address Book. If you do, you will lose the Caller ID function, so you will have to decide if the risk outweighs the inconvenience.

If you decide to encrypt the files stored on your media card, you have three choices. Here they are as described by the good folks from RIM:

To encrypt files on a media card inserted in the BlackBerry smartphone, complete the following steps:

Note: In order to encrypt files using the BlackBerry smartphone password, verify that the password is set before you begin the steps below.

1. On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Options.
    2. Click Media Card or click Advanced Options > Media Card (depending on the BlackBerry Device Software version that is installed on the BlackBerry smartphone).
    3. Use one of the following methods to encrypt files:
      • To encrypt files using an encryption key for a media card generated by the BlackBerry smartphone, set the Encryption Mode field to Device.
      • To encrypt files using the BlackBerry smartphone password, set the Encryption Mode field to Security Password.
      • To encrypt files using an encryption key for a media card and the BlackBerry smartphone password, set the Encryption Mode field to Security Password & Device. Note: To turn off encryption for a media card, set the Encryption Mode field to None.

4. To encrypt media files such as videos, ring tones, pictures, and songs on the media card, set Encrypt Media Files to Yes.
    5. Press the Menu key.
    6. Click Save.
    Last edited by TemperamentalMan; 10-25-2009 at 02:23 AM.

chm0690 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow chm0690 On Twitter
    PIN
    306EE4BE
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you tempermental man for the article. That is exactly what I needed to know.