Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times

Interesting observation that was found on .323

So I checked and it is true....

Civic mentioned that her branding version has changed! I checked mine and sure enough it's different too! There is also a letter at the end!?!?!?

Mine is now: 1.0.105.213A

Civic attributes this to a possibility of a low-level flash for hardware, to may be bring up all storms to behave same???? What do you all think? I think RIM is up to something...not quite sure what! So far the changes have been better and better!

These are both of my About screens:

Last edited by olta777; 10-21-2009 at 08:42 PM.

toytooii is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .419/.692 Hybrid by Lyricidal (Shrunk)
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post

Civic mentioned that her branding version has changed! I checked mine and sure enough it's different too! There is also a letter at the end!?!?!?

Civic attributes this to a possibility of a low-level flash for hardware, to may be bring up all storms to behave same???? What do you all think? I think RIM is up to something...not quite sure what! So far the changes have been better and better!
    Don't think it's a "firmware" update per se as I loaded it and then returned to my old OS (BBCM hybrid 8.5) and my branding is where it has always been. I don't believe this would be the case if it had been an actual firmware update.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    This has been discussed before. The branding number is different for every phone I believe.
    Posted via BlackBerry device

toytooii is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .419/.692 Hybrid by Lyricidal (Shrunk)
    Liked
    0 times
    I think the observation being made is that the branding number actually changed for a given device when they installed the latest 5.0 leak and that perhaps a "firmware" (ie...code written into the hardware of the device, for example a change in the code recorded in an EPROM) was being updated. Don't think that is the case as it would be unlikely for it to revert back when downgrading to a different OS.
    Perhaps RIM is renumbering or expanding their branding system.
    Last edited by toytooii; 10-21-2009 at 06:54 PM.

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    For every phone yes...but mine stayed same thru all OS upgrades and all of a sudden changed with .323.

Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    This has been discussed before. The branding number is different for every phone I believe.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    For every phone yes...but mine stayed same thru all OS upgrades and all of a sudden changed with .323.

Oh ok mis understood sorry

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    J, just for you

These are both of my About screens:

dandiele is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    Liked
    0 times
    mine changed also, 1.0.105.235m is my current branding version

markdental is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Storm 9530
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Yeah my branding version changed too. Not sure why they would be changing branding version now.

dustin4863 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    304ceb10
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    who knows
    Liked
    0 times
    same 1.0.105.483p

bbuserpa is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Branding

1.0.105.579r on mine now

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times

If RIM is up to ANYTHING, it's something as simple as a BIOS flash in the PC world. My theory is that somewhere along the line during a OS load process, the actual "BIOS" of the device is updated. Sometimes, between one OS and another; the "BIOS" remains unchanged. Other times, some low-level code needs to be changed, and thus the "BIOS" is updated and given a new version.

There are probably a couple of different variations of the device (based on location of manufacture, etc); perhaps something like the RAM chips are different and things like CAS latency or RAM voltage needs to be different - that would account for different folks having different branding versions in the last decimal portion.

I get a strange idea in my head of what RIM might have done to this latest "BIOS", but my idea would account for the increased performance of this build. Alot of us have heard that the S2 chipset is the same MSM7600 as the Storm; but the CPU was supposed to run in a "turbo" mode. Most likely meaning mild CPU overclocking (perhaps 600MHz?) - Now, this isn't the 90s; so most overclocking is done in the BIOS. Probably no different in a phone than in a PC. So I am thinking that RIM has overclocked the Storm's CPU a bit, and thus the "BIOS" code would need to be updated (throw a different bus speed at it, and if the memory can handle it; that will get a performance boost, too - DDR400 is faster than DDR333, for example)

Like I say, this is mere speculation; I am a PC tech, not a phone genius. However given that a BB is basically a mini tablet PC the principles still apply. It wouldn't be too hard to do a mild OC to get a free performance boost (well, at the expense of a little battery life; but the latest OSes might be efficient enough to compensate)

Now all we need is someone to write an app to OC from within the OS (too bad the Storm doesn't run Linux - seriously - I think writing an OCing program that runs on Java would work about as well as a Java-based OpenGL renderer)

smoke1991 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    Now all we need is someone to write an app to OC from within the OS (too bad the Storm doesn't run Linux - seriously - I think writing an OCing program that runs on Java would work about as well as a Java-based OpenGL renderer)

......:haha:

to contribute to the thread, i never really paid close attention to the branding. but mine is currently @ 1.0.105.404D

Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Decided to take a picture of my Storm (actually show off my LEET MS Paint skillz! :laugh2

Yes, the yellow and orange stuff is supposed to be fire, and they gray stuff is smoke!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Interesting observation that was found on .323-funnystorm.jpg