Just came up with a REALLY stupid (or cool) idea!

Thread: Just came up with a REALLY stupid (or cool) idea!

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times

Just came up with a REALLY stupid (or cool) idea!

This was prompted by the "why do storm games suck" thread. I got to thinking. The Storm's hardware is capable of playing games; the OS isn't. So perhaps the Storm should contain a dual-boot OS with a "game mode". This "game mode" could be a lightweight linux-based OS with an OpenGL API and could use the microSD card for game storage (a high speed card would need to be used for good load times); normal BB mode would boot into the normal Storm OS. A hotkey could be used at boot time to select the "game" mode (hold down BB key while device starts up, for example).

Now, this is just wishful thinking on my part; but it COULD be done. It would allow iPhone-level gaming without compromising the BB OS itself.

cj100570 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow cj100570 On Twitter
    PIN
    306051B3
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    This was prompted by the "why do storm games suck" thread. I got to thinking. The Storm's hardware is capable of playing games; the OS isn't. So perhaps the Storm should contain a dual-boot OS with a "game mode". This "game mode" could be a lightweight linux-based OS with an OpenGL API and could use the microSD card for game storage (a high speed card would need to be used for good load times); normal BB mode would boot into the normal Storm OS. A hotkey could be used at boot time to select the "game" mode (hold down BB key while device starts up, for example).

Now, this is just wishful thinking on my part; but it COULD be done. It would allow iPhone-level gaming without compromising the BB OS itself.
    It may indeed be a good idea but I'm gonna bet it'll never happen. Allowing a separate OS, especially Linux, would definitely open the phone up to many security issues. I'm sure in time RIM will make the OS more game friendly as long as it doesn't compromise security.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Semper Paratus"

Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cj100570 View Post
    It may indeed be a good idea but I'm gonna bet it'll never happen. Allowing a separate OS, especially Linux, would definitely open the phone up to many security issues. I'm sure in time RIM will make the OS more game friendly as long as it doesn't compromise security.
    That's why I said it was wishful thinking on my part

As for making the OS more game friendly, there's only so much you can do in Java when it comes to low-level APIs like OpenGL.

PIN
    306051B3
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

As for making the OS more game friendly, there's only so much you can do in Java when it comes to low-level APIs like OpenGL.
    Very true, I've often wondered why RIM hasn't killed off it's reliance on the Java Runtime. Hopefully it won't be long. As a diehard Linux fan I'd love to see them adopt Linux as the underpinnings or maybe even hop into bed with Android.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Semper Paratus"

cruznthru is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times

Here's a little peice of info on the MSM650 in the S2
    SAN DIEGO — May 05, 2005 — Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA ) digital wireless technology, today announced support for Linux® on the Company's Mobile Station Modem™ (MSM™) chipsets. The new initiative provides manufacturers with further design and development efficiencies for 3G smartphones and other mobile handsets by leveraging the flexibility and reliability of the Linux operating system. Availability of Linux supports handset manufacturers who wish to use this platform to design and develop a wide variety of 3G devices.

Linux, implemented within a virtual platform on the MSM, is the first third-party operating system supported by Qualcomm. The integrated, single-chip support for Linux available on the MSM6550 chipset eliminates the need for a separate co-processor and substantially reduces design costs and complexity compared to multiple-chip implementations traditionally required to run a third-party operating system.

PIN
    306051B3
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cruznthru View Post
    SAN DIEGO — May 05, 2005 — Qualcomm Incorporated (Nasdaq: QCOM), pioneer and world leader of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA ) digital wireless technology, today announced support for Linux® on the Company's Mobile Station Modem™ (MSM™) chipsets. The new initiative provides manufacturers with further design and development efficiencies for 3G smartphones and other mobile handsets by leveraging the flexibility and reliability of the Linux operating system. Availability of Linux supports handset manufacturers who wish to use this platform to design and develop a wide variety of 3G devices.

Linux, implemented within a virtual platform on the MSM, is the first third-party operating system supported by Qualcomm. The integrated, single-chip support for Linux available on the MSM6550 chipset eliminates the need for a separate co-processor and substantially reduces design costs and complexity compared to multiple-chip implementations traditionally required to run a third-party operating system.

That looks like light at the end of the tunnel to me. :cool2:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Semper Paratus"

Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times
    Add this to the mix and stir well,
    A collaboration between Atheros and Qualcomm will produce a low-power, high-performance chip set for cellular and wireless LAN-capable handsets and PDAs. Mobile devices based on the forthcoming chip sets will support CDMA and WCDMA technologies as well as 802.11g or 802.11a/g wireless LANs. Atheros will work to ensure the interoperability of its highly integrated single-chip Radio-on-Chip for Mobile (ROCm) with the MSM6550 CDMA2000 or MSM6280 WCDMA chip sets from Qualcomm. The combined chip sets will let cellphone manufacturers create phones that can seamlessly switch between cellular and Wi-Fi networks to minimize connection charges and provide better data connectivity. Samples of the chip sets are expected late in the second quarter.

Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cruznthru View Post

I was pretty sure the S2 was going to use the MSM7600 just like the S1. And AFAIK, the 7600 already supports Linux and Windows Mobile. The new HTC Imagio also uses the 7600.

Device
    9650 & 9530
    Liked
    5 times
    I was pretty sure the S2 was going to use the MSM7600 just like the S1. And AFAIK, the 7600 already supports Linux and Windows Mobile. The new HTC Imagio also uses the 7600.
    Dave, I stand to be corrected, it may very well be the 7600. Last night I thought I had read the S2 was running the MSM6550 (typo on the 6500) So sure in fact I book marked the DataSheet here, MSM6550 Chipset Solution | datasheetpro.com. Today however, I can find no concrete data supporting ANY Chipset in the S2. Common sense would dictate the 7600, as in the 9630 and 9530.
    Puzzled at the least on the S2 info from last night... and hadn't been drinking

Nonetheless, it looks as though the Linux support is there, bringing the software up to speed with the hardware is the trick.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    The problem that has plaqued VZW has been the reliance on Qualcomm to develop chips. Right now their fastest chip is pathetically slower than what's available to GSM makers. There is no comparing the speed of my 8900 versus the Tour. VZW made their bed with qualcomm and know they have to sleep in it. You can try and remove all of the stripes off a zebra but in the end its still going to be a zebra.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    The problem that has plaqued VZW has been the reliance on Qualcomm to develop chips. Right now their fastest chip is pathetically slower than what's available to GSM makers. There is no comparing the speed of my 8900 versus the Tour. VZW made their bed with qualcomm and know they have to sleep in it. You can try and remove all of the stripes off a zebra but in the end its still going to be a zebra.
    But will it still be a zebra when VZW launches LTE?

Soulsharter is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    props to me, i made the post about games sucking!! woot!!woot!!

trunk is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    3059a863
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Some hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

First off I'm willing to bet noone will Ever be able to build a linux OS for the storm.

Second. The reason storm games suck is because blackberry does not support flash. Which is what iPhone etc run off of.

BUT RIM and macromedia are in the works of adding flash support in the near future. So your better off waiting for that than something like a linux BB OS.

(sorry if someone else posted this already I'm on my storm and didn't feel like looking through all the pages)