Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    You couldn't have stated it any better. Holding back an OS because developers aren't stepping up doesn't make sense to me. Plus the new JDE has been issued for OS 5.0 so there really is no excuse for many of these apps to still not be working. I say release 5.0 officially and let developers fix their apps. If not someone else and they will lose out on business.
    Fair enough. I was just trying to be nice!
    Now that they've got their emulators up and running, I really hope that some of my 3rd party apps get some improved functionality in 5.0.
    Honestly though, the performance of the current leaked OS is wonderful, so all I really would like to see is the last bugs getting ironed out. Sound and graphical glitches and the like. Really, even just with the leaked stuff we have, I think that the OS looks to be in remarkably good shape. Whenever they do decide to let it loose, I'll be waiting!

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    The thing is.. The GSM radio in the 9530 works flawlessly.. there are too many people trying to use it on US GSM frequencies which it is not made to do. it was made for European frequencies
    So then what is the difference between US 850mhz and EU 850mhz? I know it wont work on 3g. But EDGE should be steady. It even says it on the BB website that is it compatible. Im just trying to get my facts straight as to why GSM connection has been such an issue. I know this post isnt about edge issues, so if you want to PM me that works too.

Wireless Networks

UMTS/HSPA: 2100 MHz
    North America: 850 MHz GSM®/GPRS networks
    North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/Ev-DO networks
    Last edited by xxxmerlinxxx; 10-07-2009 at 06:51 AM.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxmerlinxxx View Post
    So then what is the difference between US 850mhz and EU 850mhz? I know it wont work on 3g. But EDGE should be steady. It even says it on the BB website that is it compatible. Im just trying to get my facts straight as to why GSM connection has been such an issue. I know this post isnt about edge issues, so if you want to PM me that works too.

Wireless Networks

UMTS/HSPA: 2100 MHz
    North America: 850 MHz GSM®/GPRS networks
    North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/Ev-DO networks
    that means it will merely connect to edge not EDGE, as far as not holding signal the OS designed for the 9530 is not made for an EDGE connection.. Its just the down side to having any device on a network that it was not designed for.. no big deal

PIN
    head
    Device
    vzw 9530
    OS
    5.0.323 rocking fast !!
    Wirelessly posted

Makes sense to me

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    To the comment of holding back OS releases for 3rd party apps:

Don't forget that carriers have thier own applications that are considered 3rd party because they're not from RIM directly. For example: VZW has apps for banking, VZ Navigator, VCAST, Account Management, etc that will ALL need to be updated before THEY (VZW) approve the 5.0 release. I've tested most of these apps on 5.0.0.230 and as far as I can tell the only one that doesn't work is VCAST. Keep in mind that the customers paying $10 a month for this service will not be pleased if this doesn't work. So... Basically if you see an update to VCAST (currently on a build ending in .12) get updated, you might see an official update on the OS itself.

Just thinking logically from a business perspective.
    Last edited by Paul.Hansen; 10-08-2009 at 03:29 PM.

This is cool so i am pretty sure we should see this what like the end of next year haha

Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Hansen View Post
    To the comment of holding back OS releases for 3rd party apps:

Don't forget that carriers have thier own applications that are considered 3rd party because they're not from RIM directly. For example: VZW has apps for banking, VZ Navigator, VCAST, Account Management, etc that will ALL need to be updated before THEY (VZW) approve the 5.0 release. I've tested most of these apps on 5.0.0.230 and as far as I can tell the only one that doesn't work is VCAST. Keep in mind that the customers paying $10 a month for this service will not be pleased if this doesn't work. So... Basically if you see an update to VCAST (currently on a build ending in .12) get updated, you might see an official update on the OS itself.

Just thinking logically from a business perspective.
    Just because a VCAST update hasn't been pushed, doesn't mean that VZW doesn't have one ready. If the OS is in everyday testing, the testers are likely running a new build of VCAST right now (and probably the rest of the VZW "app suite")

It will probably be bundled into the OS update package, and not pushed as a seperate download earlier. Remember the OFFICIAL OS is 4.7.0.148; perhaps the updated VZW apps aren't even 4.7 compatible.

PIN
    3049B9CB
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0 said freeze and I got numb!!!
    If RIM is looking to have most of their phones operating OS 5.0 by the end of the year, it is only a matter of time before VZW releases an official 5.0 OS. I do not know any technical jargon, but the way apps are being updated and RIM pushing for 5.0, it is going to happen. I bet .288 is released around the same time the Storm 2 is dropped. That is the perfect time becasue those that have the S1 and are available for upgrades will be happy to get the newer model and those that can not upgrade will be pleased to have their S1 compatable to the S2 and they may remain loyal until they can upgrade. At least that is what I hope.

Man, I just hit 200 post. I love BBOS!!!
    Last edited by Bxrider117; 10-08-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast