Just to add some excitement.... VZW is getting 5.0.0.288 to test today for 9530!!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Just to add some excitement.... VZW is getting 5.0.0.288 to test today for 9530!!!

Paul.Hansen is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    To the comment of holding back OS releases for 3rd party apps:

Don't forget that carriers have thier own applications that are considered 3rd party because they're not from RIM directly. For example: VZW has apps for banking, VZ Navigator, VCAST, Account Management, etc that will ALL need to be updated before THEY (VZW) approve the 5.0 release. I've tested most of these apps on 5.0.0.230 and as far as I can tell the only one that doesn't work is VCAST. Keep in mind that the customers paying $10 a month for this service will not be pleased if this doesn't work. So... Basically if you see an update to VCAST (currently on a build ending in .12) get updated, you might see an official update on the OS itself.

Just thinking logically from a business perspective.
    Last edited by Paul.Hansen; 10-08-2009 at 03:29 PM.

BB Storm 9530: 4.7.0. 65 > 75 > 76 > 83 > 85 > 86 > 90 > 99 > 103 > 109 > 113 > 114 > 122 > 132 > 141 > 148 > 151 > 5.0.0. 238
    Paul Hansen - Sony Electronics - VAIO Division

Kris is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow Kris On Twitter
    Liked
    1 times
    This is cool so i am pretty sure we should see this what like the end of next year haha

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Hansen View Post
    To the comment of holding back OS releases for 3rd party apps:

Don't forget that carriers have thier own applications that are considered 3rd party because they're not from RIM directly. For example: VZW has apps for banking, VZ Navigator, VCAST, Account Management, etc that will ALL need to be updated before THEY (VZW) approve the 5.0 release. I've tested most of these apps on 5.0.0.230 and as far as I can tell the only one that doesn't work is VCAST. Keep in mind that the customers paying $10 a month for this service will not be pleased if this doesn't work. So... Basically if you see an update to VCAST (currently on a build ending in .12) get updated, you might see an official update on the OS itself.

Just thinking logically from a business perspective.
    Just because a VCAST update hasn't been pushed, doesn't mean that VZW doesn't have one ready. If the OS is in everyday testing, the testers are likely running a new build of VCAST right now (and probably the rest of the VZW "app suite")

It will probably be bundled into the OS update package, and not pushed as a seperate download earlier. Remember the OFFICIAL OS is 4.7.0.148; perhaps the updated VZW apps aren't even 4.7 compatible.

Bxrider117 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    3049B9CB
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0 said freeze and I got numb!!!
    Liked
    0 times
    If RIM is looking to have most of their phones operating OS 5.0 by the end of the year, it is only a matter of time before VZW releases an official 5.0 OS. I do not know any technical jargon, but the way apps are being updated and RIM pushing for 5.0, it is going to happen. I bet .288 is released around the same time the Storm 2 is dropped. That is the perfect time becasue those that have the S1 and are available for upgrades will be happy to get the newer model and those that can not upgrade will be pleased to have their S1 compatable to the S2 and they may remain loyal until they can upgrade. At least that is what I hope.

Man, I just hit 200 post. I love BBOS!!!
    Last edited by Bxrider117; 10-08-2009 at 09:32 PM.

quiet1 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    up
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Stock 5.0.0.320
    Liked
    0 times
    I agree Bxrider, BUT I don't see VZW releasing it around the same time S2, I think it'll b released around a month after. I think VZW will want people to come in and change to the S2 'cause of how smooth it'll run and how fast it'll run, then once that month passes then they'll prob let S1 owners get the new OS.
    A hybrid junkie...due to the one and only... crackman!!

Fletchdude is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Fletchdude On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Need to tell them to quit bogarting the good stuff!!
    If you don't have a Blackberry than your Last!!!

jordan89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    306f97b9
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Varies
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet1 View Post
    I agree Bxrider, BUT I don't see VZW releasing it around the same time S2, I think it'll b released around a month after. I think VZW will want people to come in and change to the S2 'cause of how smooth it'll run and how fast it'll run, then once that month passes then they'll prob let S1 owners get the new OS.
    Agreed. They want our money lol.
    PIN me. I'm bored.

Natemz is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Natemz On Twitter
    PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Liked
    19 times
    Doesn't matter. We should have the VZW S1 release before then anyways. Leaks, leaks, leaks!
    Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz

Fletchdude is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Fletchdude On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Natemz
    Doesn't matter. We should have the VZW S1 release before then anyways. Leaks, leaks, leaks!
    Quit teasing!!
    If you don't have a Blackberry than your Last!!!

Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    I tend to disagree with this. If VZW passes the build that they have in the final stage of testing, it will be released soon after, unless RIM has a specific OS 5.0 launch date that they must wait for.

FuzzieBalzonya is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I just had to replace my Storm, 1st replacement... if this doesnt werk right i may have to do a multi fru for the 9550... lol, my luck never turns that way.
    Running Apps: Tether, QuickLaunch, Addictive Tower Defense, BerryWeather 2.0, BerryBuzz, Druglord Wars, QuickPull, PBA Bowling 2, BuzzOff, eBay, Facebook, BBOS Alert

givmedew is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow givmedew On Twitter
    PIN
    the tail on the donky
    Device
    Moto Droid, 9530 and 8230
    OS
    Android 2.0, v10 Hybrid, and 5.0 leak for pearl
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzieBalzonya View Post
    I just had to replace my Storm, 1st replacement... if this doesnt werk right i may have to do a multi fru for the 9550... lol, my luck never turns that way.
    Be careful with the whole multi-fru wording... it is a turn off for vzw employees if a person knows any of those terms it suggests just as you are suggesting that the person is working the system. Hopefully Verizon will have a safeguard to ensure that very few people get changed from the s1 to the s2 without being eligble. You have to understand that unless you bought this phone within a few months of the release then you knew the issues it had. You also must understand that for a company to stay sustainable they cant be forking out replacements and new phones. Also the multi-fru policy may be a little more stringent then you may imagine. Also with the 5.0 software around the corner I don't foresee you being able to talk vzw into believing that your phone is having the required issues to suffice a swap out.

Oh and kinda like what Dave said... I dont foresee vzw holding back the launch of the 5.0 os on purpose being that they are going to want to ensure that people are not attempting to get swap outs just to try to get an s2.

I believe the best course of action would be to launch this software as soon as possible so that they can cut down on refurbs and eliminate the chance of swaps to the s2!
    Last edited by givmedew; 10-12-2009 at 02:19 AM.
    PLEASE, dl DUB @ DUBMENOW.COM, soon2be the standard in contact/PIM exchange.
    DISCLAIMER: Anything I say CAN'T and WILL NOT be used against me. Also anything said has nothing to do with my employeer and probably is not in agreeance w/them...

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by givmedew View Post
    Be careful with the whole multi-fru wording... it is a turn off for vzw employees if a person knows any of those terms it suggests just as you are suggesting that the person is working the system. Hopefully Verizon will have a safeguard to ensure that very few people get changed from the s1 to the s2 without being eligble. You have to understand that unless you bought this phone within a few months of the release then you knew the issues it had. You also must understand that for a company to stay sustainable they cant be forking out replacements and new phones. Also the multi-fru policy may be a little more stringent then you may imagine. Also with the 5.0 software around the corner I don't foresee you being able to talk vzw into believing that your phone is having the required issues to suffice a swap out.

Oh and kinda like what Dave said... I dont foresee vzw holding back the launch of the 5.0 os on purpose being that they are going to want to ensure that people are not attempting to get swap outs just to try to get an s2.

I believe the best course of action would be to launch this software as soon as possible so that they can cut down on refurbs and eliminate the chance of swaps to the s2!
    Unfortunately the customer did not foresee, nor did VZW inform the customer that the Storm would have so many issues. I agree that the software has been improving but this doesn't help the ton of people who have and continue to suffer from hardware issues. I have been though 13, yes 13 Storms as a result of faulty hardware. As you stated, I bought this phone the day it was released and if I would have known the issues at hand I never would have purchased it. So after 13 Storms, I have yet to own one where the hardware has been perfect. One shouldn't have to buy torx screwdrivers, use business card tricks etc. to make up for the poor manufacturing of this device. It is a shame for the consumer who bought the Storm 1 because VZW will probably not honor trading it in for the Storm 2. I am not harping on VZW employees who are just following the rules, but I do fault RIM/VZW for putting out a poor device and then turning a blind eye to their customers. I mean its not like we are in worst economic times since the great depression or anything.

RobinM is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow RobinM On Twitter
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 9520
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Holey moley! 13 Storms! mfg:
    Storm 9520 v5.0.0.973 :hail:http://ewites.com/ubbthreads/images/...efault/nwl.gif
    Ya canny beat a good leak! :fing02:

markdental is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Storm 9530
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow, that is a lot of storms to go through. I had to replace mine as well, because the "end" key and the new one that I got did not click well at all.

Had to put in a business card and do the torx fix. Sad really.

petewell is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    24BF40D5
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    I feel lucky that my Storm from Telus is good so far. I bought it in april. At first it was not running good because of the old software but as soon as I discovered BBOS, I became happy with my phone. Maybe someone could give me any suggestion to have a swap to the S2 under waranty when Telus receive their new devices because I heard they don't have any S1 for sale anymore. I just hope they would not want to push me a refurbished one if I try to swap it after S2 is out. April is not too far back so maybe I could be lucky and have a free pass to the S2!!

Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by petewell View Post
    I feel lucky that my Storm from Telus is good so far. I bought it in april. At first it was not running good because of the old software but as soon as I discovered BBOS, I became happy with my phone. Maybe someone could give me any suggestion to have a swap to the S2 under waranty when Telus receive their new devices because I heard they don't have any S1 for sale anymore. I just hope they would not want to push me a refurbished one if I try to swap it after S2 is out. April is not too far back so maybe I could be lucky and have a free pass to the S2!!
    You've had your phone since April...... Any replacement would be a refurb S1, NOT a new S2. Not to sound like I am bashing you, but to expect more would be ludicrous. April to October is 6 months.... A LONG time in the realm of high-tech devices.

If we were talking about a 30-day timeframe, then yes, you SHOULD expect a new device. But we're talking about 180 days.

Mines_01 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow Mines_01 On Twitter
    Device
    BlackBerry 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.???
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    You've had your phone since April...... Any replacement would be a refurb S1, NOT a new S2. Not to sound like I am bashing you, but to expect more would be ludicrous. April to October is 6 months.... A LONG time in the realm of high-tech devices.

If we were talking about a 30-day timeframe, then yes, you SHOULD expect a new device. But we're talking about 180 days.

what about swapping out a storm, telling the vzw tech it doesnt work properly, heading to another vzw store and going through 3 before walking out the door there... would that consist of grounds for the s2. :haha: j/k dont answer, but that really did happen, also i am content with the s1 i have (as far as lack of issues) minus the fact that it doesnt have .288 on it.... yet
    Got root? >#

petewell is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    24BF40D5
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post

I know I was trying to push my luck a little bit!! lol I will keep my S1 for my wife and buy a S2 for me, that will be a good reason for a replacement without feeling bad to change a 6 months old phone. Thanks but I have to say I was expecting this kind of comment

Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by petewell View Post
    I know I was trying to push my luck a little bit!! lol I will keep my S1 for my wife and buy a S2 for me, that will be a good reason for a replacement without feeling bad to change a 6 months old phone. Thanks but I have to say I was expecting this kind of comment
    Well, I don't make comments like I did to be mean; but simply to keep everyone's expectations realistic. The cost of giving folks "free" upgrades to premium smartphones would be directly passed on to the consumer, even if they didn't benefit from the "free" upgrade program at all.

That having been said, I personally would be 100% for a device trade-in program, where you would get credit towards a new device by trading in your old one. It works for videogame consoles.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast