Just to add some excitement.... VZW is getting 5.0.0.288 to test today for 9530!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Just to add some excitement.... VZW is getting 5.0.0.288 to test today for 9530!!!

gardobus is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    4.7.0.151 lyr hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Can't wait for it to drop (or at least the fixes/changes sheet). I'm actually pretty excited for the new BBM to drop since you can apparently integrate individual contact into it for threaded SMS. I like how BBM is setup a lot more than I do the current threaded SMS. The current threaded is definitely nicer than the old style with tons of messages everywhere, but BBM just pulls it off so much better.

B Jorje is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet1 View Post
    Yea I think VZW need to have hybrid builders on their team.. they crank out hybrids in no time, and they're a one man (women just so i don't offend anyone lol) team and they're quick...but then again, sometimes it's easier to get a job done alone than with others lol
    Now now! Let's not be*too* mean to Verizon. The initial .75 OS was clearly rushed, and it nearly ruined the Storm as a viable consumer device. They can't afford to have an official release have *any* major bugs.

Plus there are still loads of third-party apps that don't work on any 5.0 to date. What's gonna happen when the update goes out and somebody's grandmother can't use her cross stitching app(or whatever)? Frankly, I'm a little shocked that they would bother to even *think* about releasing a 5.0 OS for that reason alone. Pleased, but shocked.

Now, the perfect solution would be if they would just leak it to US... We won't mind a few bugs to play with a potential official 5.0 release, now would we? Verizon? You listening! Seriously. C'mon... Please?
    Plus, what would happen if it got into the hands of all the hybrid builders around here...
    .75 -> .148 -> .151 Hybrids -> v5
    Better and better!

quiet1 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    up
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    Stock 5.0.0.320
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok ok your right, but i'm soo impatient lol. Y couldn't they have tested the OS weeks ago.. lol O i'm soo impatient
    A hybrid junkie...due to the one and only... crackman!!

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by B Jorje View Post
    Plus there are still loads of third-party apps that don't work on any 5.0 to date. What's gonna happen when the update goes out and somebody's grandmother can't use her cross stitching app(or whatever)? Frankly, I'm a little shocked that they would bother to even *think* about releasing a 5.0 OS for that reason alone. Pleased, but shocked.
    I'm frankly a bit shocked that someone would consider 3rd party app incompatibility to be a good reason to hold back an OS launch, assuming the OS is otherwise ready. It is 100% up to the app developers to release compatible versions. But it is NOT a good reason to hold back an OS.

Consider the main reason I say this: RIM is PUSHING for an across-the-board release of 5.0 - many enterprise customers are now on BES 5.0; and without a 5.0 OS on the device; many of the new features cannot be taken advantage of. RIM wants 5.0 out, they are NOT going to hold back waiting for Joe Programmer to release his latest version of "Super Icon Hockey"

And frankly, if 5.0-native devices are set to launch sometime soon, i'd say it's high time Verizon gets to testing (and passing) a 5.0 build.

E-man is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    And you know we love to do that

Posted via BlackBerry device
    I know, I know!
    You guys are good at it too!
    I'm working on learning my way around.. :grouphug:

MrTruckincowboy is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    head
    Device
    vzw 9530
    OS
    5.0.323 rocking fast !!
    Liked
    0 times
    ^^ here here agreed !

PIN
    head
    Device
    vzw 9530
    OS
    5.0.323 rocking fast !!
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post
    I'm frankly a bit shocked that someone would consider 3rd party app incompatibility to be a good reason to hold back an OS launch, assuming the OS is otherwise ready. It is 100% up to the app developers to release compatible versions. But it is NOT a good reason to hold back an OS.

Consider the main reason I say this: RIM is PUSHING for an across-the-board release of 5.0 - many enterprise customers are now on BES 5.0; and without a 5.0 OS on the device; many of the new features cannot be taken advantage of. RIM wants 5.0 out, they are NOT going to hold back waiting for Joe Programmer to release his latest version of "Super Icon Hockey"

And frankly, if 5.0-native devices are set to launch sometime soon, i'd say it's high time Verizon gets to testing (and passing) a 5.0 build.
    ^^
    here here agreed !:haha:

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Natemz View Post
    I hear you. That would be a nice surprise. But it won't happen

We all know how slow Vzw is about software releases.
    Yeah, if it went into testing on Monday; and assuming it doesn't end up failing at some point; it will probably mean almost a month of testing before it could potentially see a release. The way RIM is pushing 5.0; it'd surprise me if we DIDN'T see a 5.0 release become official by the end of November, though - as RIM has stated that 5.0 WILL be released by year's end. This is just me thinking in the back of my mind; but with the amount of people likely taking time off from work for the holidays (speaking about RIM/Verizon employees) they'd probably want to have something finalized BEFORE December begins.

Again, that's just me thinking out loud; but I KNOW that where I work, they like to have major projects DONE before the holidays..... And i'd consider a device-wide rollout of a new OS to be a MAJOR project.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave12308 View Post

You couldn't have stated it any better. Holding back an OS because developers aren't stepping up doesn't make sense to me. Plus the new JDE has been issued for OS 5.0 so there really is no excuse for many of these apps to still not be working. I say release 5.0 officially and let developers fix their apps. If not someone else and they will lose out on business.

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    I could remember how long it took VZW to test and pass 4.7.0.148.
    I remember we all had it for a few weeks.

gnh5002 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    relevant? this is from patches on crackberry
    Quote Originally Posted by patches152 View Post
    they're getting a new build for 9530, 9550, tour, and some other phones as well...but they are getting it "sometime this week"

and by "they" i mean friendly user testing...so VZW has been testing these for awhile already

markdental is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Storm 9530
    Liked
    0 times
    If IRL testing is getting these newer builds sometime this week, then we are looking at a minimum of 3-4 weeks before they could possibly be approved for release as an official OS.

This also would mean that network testing has been going on for quite some time already and that it is due to pass network testing. I won't say that it passed because if IRL testing doesn't have it yet, then it hasn't passed network testing yet.

All this is good news for us either way. One, it means that a leak is getting close as once it is in the hands of the IRL testers, it tends to make it out. And 2, if it in the hands of IRL testers, it means that it is a decent build. So we have 2 things to be happy about.

xxxmerlinxxx is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I would just like GSM connection to work the way it should with the APN settings set. If not then up for sale it goes. Us unlocked Storm users have been waiting for a good GSM radio programming since this phone came out.

MajikUF is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Storm 9530 Unlocked
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    So where is the waiting room?

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxmerlinxxx View Post
    I would just like GSM connection to work the way it should with the APN settings set. If not then up for sale it goes. Us unlocked Storm users have been waiting for a good GSM radio programming since this phone came out.
    The thing is.. The GSM radio in the 9530 works flawlessly.. there are too many people trying to use it on US GSM frequencies which it is not made to do. it was made for European frequencies

gnh5002 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    The thing is.. The GSM radio in the 9530 works flawlessly.. there are too many people trying to use it on US GSM frequencies which it is not made to do. it was made for European frequencies
    excellent point...i dont think a lot of people realize the difference

B Jorje is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    You couldn't have stated it any better. Holding back an OS because developers aren't stepping up doesn't make sense to me. Plus the new JDE has been issued for OS 5.0 so there really is no excuse for many of these apps to still not be working. I say release 5.0 officially and let developers fix their apps. If not someone else and they will lose out on business.
    Fair enough. I was just trying to be nice!
    Now that they've got their emulators up and running, I really hope that some of my 3rd party apps get some improved functionality in 5.0.
    Honestly though, the performance of the current leaked OS is wonderful, so all I really would like to see is the last bugs getting ironed out. Sound and graphical glitches and the like. Really, even just with the leaked stuff we have, I think that the OS looks to be in remarkably good shape. Whenever they do decide to let it loose, I'll be waiting!
    .75 -> .148 -> .151 Hybrids -> v5
    Better and better!

xxxmerlinxxx is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    So then what is the difference between US 850mhz and EU 850mhz? I know it wont work on 3g. But EDGE should be steady. It even says it on the BB website that is it compatible. Im just trying to get my facts straight as to why GSM connection has been such an issue. I know this post isnt about edge issues, so if you want to PM me that works too.

Wireless Networks

UMTS/HSPA: 2100 MHz
    North America: 850 MHz GSM®/GPRS networks
    North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/Ev-DO networks
    Last edited by xxxmerlinxxx; 10-07-2009 at 07:51 AM.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxmerlinxxx View Post
    So then what is the difference between US 850mhz and EU 850mhz? I know it wont work on 3g. But EDGE should be steady. It even says it on the BB website that is it compatible. Im just trying to get my facts straight as to why GSM connection has been such an issue. I know this post isnt about edge issues, so if you want to PM me that works too.

Wireless Networks

UMTS/HSPA: 2100 MHz
    North America: 850 MHz GSM®/GPRS networks
    North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks
    Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/Ev-DO networks
    that means it will merely connect to edge not EDGE, as far as not holding signal the OS designed for the 9530 is not made for an EDGE connection.. Its just the down side to having any device on a network that it was not designed for.. no big deal

PIN
    head
    Device
    vzw 9530
    OS
    5.0.323 rocking fast !!
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Makes sense to me

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast