Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6

Anybody install their own replacement screen?

So I watched a deceiving video on youtube that showed you how to clean the dust out from under the screen on the storm and I ended up putting 2 small cracks in the top left corner of the screen, not the LCD, but the plastic or glass that is over the lcd. It did didnt distort the viewing pleasure however, the touchscreen function was altered a bit. In landscape mode the letter A and S was altered. Im worried it will get worse so I just want to get a replacement screen---so far its about $85.00 on moist sites.
    I have learned that there are 2 diff screens in storms so I have to see which one my storm has by taking it apart and looking at the numbers on the ribbon cable -- then I will know which one to order.

I guess I just want to know if anyone has gone through this before and if so, how did it work out for you?

Any advice is appreciated! (and no, I have no insurance, I am on Tmobile---unlocked storm)
    :aargh4:

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by tank244 View Post
    So I watched a deceiving video on youtube that showed you how to clean the dust out from under the screen on the storm and I ended up putting 2 small cracks in the top left corner of the screen, not the LCD, but the plastic or glass that is over the lcd. It did didnt distort the viewing pleasure however, the touchscreen function was altered a bit. In landscape mode the letter A and S was altered. Im worried it will get worse so I just want to get a replacement screen---so far its about $85.00 on moist sites.
    I have learned that there are 2 diff screens in storms so I have to see which one my storm has by taking it apart and looking at the numbers on the ribbon cable -- then I will know which one to order.

I guess I just want to know if anyone has gone through this before and if so, how did it work out for you?

Any advice is appreciated! (and no, I have no insurance, I am on Tmobile---unlocked storm)
    I have not but if you click the link in my sig for gsm unlocking they can repair phones and I am sure have some help with how to..

PIN
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Thanx!

smcoldbb is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow smcoldbb On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Wirelessly posted (9630)

I have taken mine apart a couple times. There are about half a dozen screws. All I did was follow along with a youtube video.

PIN
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by smcoldbb View Post
    Wirelessly posted (9630)

I have taken mine apart a couple times. There are about half a dozen screws. All I did was follow along with a youtube video.
    I know I can do it its just the phone is fragile enough, Id hate it if something happened. I can buy a new screen for $85 or I can send it away and get it fixed with OEM Parts for $175 --- $175 is mad expensive -- I might just do it myself. I just wish there was a repair shop locally, I cant believe we dont have any here in Buffalo,NY :aargh4:

smcoldbb is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow smcoldbb On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Wirelessly posted (9630)

Do it yourself. Its easy to do you will see everything falls into place. The only thing that might cause an issue is if you over tighten it. Just make sure you have a can of air and microfibre cloth
    Last edited by smcoldbb; 09-27-2009 at 06:24 PM.

PIN
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by smcoldbb View Post
    Wirelessly posted (9630)

Do it yourself. Its easy to do you will see everything falls into place. The only thing that might cause an issue is if you over tighten it. Just make sure you have a can of air and microfibre cloth
    Ok cool Thanks!

jordan89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    306f97b9
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by tank244 View Post

It is fairly easy to take apart...never replaced the screen but looks easy enough. If you run into any trouble just take it to a VZW store...there a Tech will have to fix it due to the contract they have with RIM. I don't think you will run into any problems...just remember the most important thing--if you have parts left over you didn't do it right--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast