Anybody install their own replacement screen?
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Anybody install their own replacement screen?

  1. #1
    tank244's Avatar
    tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Posts
    229
    Liked
    0 times

    Anybody install their own replacement screen?

    So I watched a deceiving video on youtube that showed you how to clean the dust out from under the screen on the storm and I ended up putting 2 small cracks in the top left corner of the screen, not the LCD, but the plastic or glass that is over the lcd. It did didnt distort the viewing pleasure however, the touchscreen function was altered a bit. In landscape mode the letter A and S was altered. Im worried it will get worse so I just want to get a replacement screen---so far its about $85.00 on moist sites.
    I have learned that there are 2 diff screens in storms so I have to see which one my storm has by taking it apart and looking at the numbers on the ribbon cable -- then I will know which one to order.

    I guess I just want to know if anyone has gone through this before and if so, how did it work out for you?

    Any advice is appreciated! (and no, I have no insurance, I am on Tmobile---unlocked storm)
    :aargh4:


    Creator of Tank's Hybrids ACT 1, 2 and 3 - Simply Perfect Blends

    Improving the Storm, one .COD at a time...


  2. #2
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tank244 View Post
    So I watched a deceiving video on youtube that showed you how to clean the dust out from under the screen on the storm and I ended up putting 2 small cracks in the top left corner of the screen, not the LCD, but the plastic or glass that is over the lcd. It did didnt distort the viewing pleasure however, the touchscreen function was altered a bit. In landscape mode the letter A and S was altered. Im worried it will get worse so I just want to get a replacement screen---so far its about $85.00 on moist sites.
    I have learned that there are 2 diff screens in storms so I have to see which one my storm has by taking it apart and looking at the numbers on the ribbon cable -- then I will know which one to order.

    I guess I just want to know if anyone has gone through this before and if so, how did it work out for you?

    Any advice is appreciated! (and no, I have no insurance, I am on Tmobile---unlocked storm)
    :aargh4:
    I have not but if you click the link in my sig for gsm unlocking they can repair phones and I am sure have some help with how to..

  3. #3
    tank244's Avatar
    tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Posts
    229
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanx!
    Creator of Tank's Hybrids ACT 1, 2 and 3 - Simply Perfect Blends

    Improving the Storm, one .COD at a time...

  4. #4
    smcoldbb is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow smcoldbb On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Device
    9630
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Posts
    1,573
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (9630)

    I have taken mine apart a couple times. There are about half a dozen screws. All I did was follow along with a youtube video.
    Bellshare - Premium Blackberry Apps

  5. #5
    tank244's Avatar
    tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Posts
    229
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smcoldbb View Post
    Wirelessly posted (9630)

    I have taken mine apart a couple times. There are about half a dozen screws. All I did was follow along with a youtube video.
    I know I can do it its just the phone is fragile enough, Id hate it if something happened. I can buy a new screen for $85 or I can send it away and get it fixed with OEM Parts for $175 --- $175 is mad expensive -- I might just do it myself. I just wish there was a repair shop locally, I cant believe we dont have any here in Buffalo,NY :aargh4:
    Creator of Tank's Hybrids ACT 1, 2 and 3 - Simply Perfect Blends

    Improving the Storm, one .COD at a time...

  6. #6
    smcoldbb is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow smcoldbb On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Device
    9630
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Posts
    1,573
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (9630)

    Do it yourself. Its easy to do you will see everything falls into place. The only thing that might cause an issue is if you over tighten it. Just make sure you have a can of air and microfibre cloth
    Last edited by smcoldbb; 09-27-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    Bellshare - Premium Blackberry Apps

  7. #7
    tank244's Avatar
    tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Posts
    229
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smcoldbb View Post
    Wirelessly posted (9630)

    Do it yourself. Its easy to do you will see everything falls into place. The only thing that might cause an issue is if you over tighten it. Just make sure you have a can of air and microfibre cloth
    Ok cool Thanks!
    Creator of Tank's Hybrids ACT 1, 2 and 3 - Simply Perfect Blends

    Improving the Storm, one .COD at a time...

  8. #8
    jordan89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Sunshine State
    PIN
    306f97b9
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Varies
    Posts
    45
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tank244 View Post
    So I watched a deceiving video on youtube that showed you how to clean the dust out from under the screen on the storm and I ended up putting 2 small cracks in the top left corner of the screen, not the LCD, but the plastic or glass that is over the lcd. It did didnt distort the viewing pleasure however, the touchscreen function was altered a bit. In landscape mode the letter A and S was altered. Im worried it will get worse so I just want to get a replacement screen---so far its about $85.00 on moist sites.
    I have learned that there are 2 diff screens in storms so I have to see which one my storm has by taking it apart and looking at the numbers on the ribbon cable -- then I will know which one to order.

    I guess I just want to know if anyone has gone through this before and if so, how did it work out for you?

    Any advice is appreciated! (and no, I have no insurance, I am on Tmobile---unlocked storm)
    :aargh4:

    It is fairly easy to take apart...never replaced the screen but looks easy enough. If you run into any trouble just take it to a VZW store...there a Tech will have to fix it due to the contract they have with RIM. I don't think you will run into any problems...just remember the most important thing--if you have parts left over you didn't do it right--

    PIN me. I'm bored.

  9. #9
    trunk is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    PIN
    3059a863
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Some hybrid
    Posts
    190
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

    85 for a screen seems pretty high when you can have it replaced for fifty by Verizon. Even without insurance if your a good enough customer they will still do it. Just takes a little extra complaining is all and maybe a threat of switching carriers

    Since your on tmobile, i would try looking around for people selling storms. Since they are $50 for 2 from verizon, im almost sure there are tons of extra ones out there floating around. I would think you could get a little better deal that way, might be slightly more but youd at least have more extra hardware. Just an idea
    Last edited by trunk; 09-27-2009 at 09:40 PM.

  10. #10
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tank244 View Post
    So I watched a deceiving video on youtube that showed you how to clean the dust out from under the screen on the storm and I ended up putting 2 small cracks in the top left corner of the screen, not the LCD, but the plastic or glass that is over the lcd. It did didnt distort the viewing pleasure however, the touchscreen function was altered a bit. In landscape mode the letter A and S was altered. Im worried it will get worse so I just want to get a replacement screen---so far its about $85.00 on moist sites.
    I have learned that there are 2 diff screens in storms so I have to see which one my storm has by taking it apart and looking at the numbers on the ribbon cable -- then I will know which one to order.

    I guess I just want to know if anyone has gone through this before and if so, how did it work out for you?

    Any advice is appreciated! (and no, I have no insurance, I am on Tmobile---unlocked storm)
    :aargh4:
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
    It is fairly easy to take apart...never replaced the screen but looks easy enough. If you run into any trouble just take it to a VZW store...there a Tech will have to fix it due to the contract they have with RIM. I don't think you will run into any problems...just remember the most important thing--if you have parts left over you didn't do it right--

    Quote Originally Posted by trunk View Post
    Wirelessly posted

    Don't knoww why you would pay 85 for a screen when you can have it replaced for fifty by Verizon. Even without insurance if your a good enough customer they will still do it. Just takes a little extra complaining is all and maybe a threat of switching carriers
    the op clearly stated he is on t-mobile... vzw will not support that phone at all.. sorry

  11. #11
    juanflight is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    4.7.0.151
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    anyone with a link to that video?
    Thanks

  12. #12
    jordan89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The Sunshine State
    PIN
    306f97b9
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Varies
    Posts
    45
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    the op clearly stated he is on t-mobile... vzw will not support that phone at all.. sorry
    They might at least offer some instruction seeing as they support device type.
    PIN me. I'm bored.

  13. #13
    tank244's Avatar
    tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Posts
    229
    Liked
    0 times
    Also, there are 2 diff screen types for the storm---I have to take the storm aprt and read the numbers on the ribbon cable before ordering the screen so I order the right one because they are not cross compatible. If I bought a used storm I wouldnt know if it was compatible
    Creator of Tank's Hybrids ACT 1, 2 and 3 - Simply Perfect Blends

    Improving the Storm, one .COD at a time...

  14. #14
    tank244's Avatar
    tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Posts
    229
    Liked
    0 times
    Installed a new screen myself. $85 for the screen and its supposedly OEM. Working great!
    Creator of Tank's Hybrids ACT 1, 2 and 3 - Simply Perfect Blends

    Improving the Storm, one .COD at a time...

  15. #15
    Rellims's Avatar
    Rellims is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic Follow Rellims On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denver
    PIN
    EAPPLE...Y
    Device
    9550
    OS
    5.0.whatever is newe
    Posts
    1,102
    Liked
    5 times
    Glad this worked out well for you. How would you rate the level of difficulty?
    See all of my free themes by clicking
    HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @1rellims

  16. #16
    guanuck's Avatar
    guanuck is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    PIN
    GUIN
    Device
    9630
    OS
    5.0.0.230
    Posts
    385
    Liked
    1 times
    I had to replace my screen it isn't as hard as it looks! The tricky part is that the actual screen is glued to a metal plate which makes the screen click (pushes the button). When I replaced it I didn't notice this and I was like WTF why isnt my screen working. So in order to work you need to take the screen out of the metal plate and put the new screen on the metal plate. The new screen has a sticky side on it which should go face down. I encourage you to do it. You will save lots of $$$ If you have any other qstns or need help just email!
    Have a Telus related question? Just ask!

  17. #17
    tank244's Avatar
    tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Posts
    229
    Liked
    0 times
    I ordered my new LCD from Fonlogix.com. I had to take the phone apart to see what version my screen is, there is 014 and 214. Mine happened to be 014 -- I ordered it over the phone and this screen came with the metal backing. The only difference between the original screen and new one is that the part of the metal backing that actually pushes the button down for clicks was a little smaller. I havent had any problems. I have also learned that screen click is affected by ALL the screws in the phone. If your clicking sux then pry off the plastic piece over your camera and loosen the 2 screws under there and also the 2 screws by the battery---just play around with it until you like your click. If your screen barely clicks its probably because the screws are just too tight.

    Level of difficulty out of 10 was prolly around a 6 or 7, or for an intermidete blackberry lover.
    Creator of Tank's Hybrids ACT 1, 2 and 3 - Simply Perfect Blends

    Improving the Storm, one .COD at a time...

  18. #18
    guanuck's Avatar
    guanuck is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Canada
    PIN
    GUIN
    Device
    9630
    OS
    5.0.0.230
    Posts
    385
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tank244 View Post
    I ordered my new LCD from Fonlogix.com. I had to take the phone apart to see what version my screen is, there is 014 and 214. Mine happened to be 014 -- I ordered it over the phone and this screen came with the metal backing. The only difference between the original screen and new one is that the part of the metal backing that actually pushes the button down for clicks was a little smaller. I havent had any problems. I have also learned that screen click is affected by ALL the screws in the phone. If your clicking sux then pry off the plastic piece over your camera and loosen the 2 screws under there and also the 2 screws by the battery---just play around with it until you like your click. If your screen barely clicks its probably because the screws are just too tight.

    Level of difficulty out of 10 was prolly around a 6 or 7, or for an intermidete blackberry lover.

    Good Job! Told you that it looks harder/scarier to do than what it actually is. Lucky that ur screen came with the metal plate. Mine didnt for a moment i thought id screw up my storm and lost it all. Again good job! Enjoy ur device!
    Have a Telus related question? Just ask!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •