Should I replace my Storm with issue now or wait?

Thread: Should I replace my Storm with issue now or wait?

Daso is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Should I replace my Storm with issue now or wait?

I've had my storm for 4 months now and have it set up perfectly screen wise and I'm running 4.7.151 and pretty happy (dying to try new 5.0 hybrid, but also used to everything working well on .151). Lately, my call button hasn't been responding well and sometimes take two or even three pushes to start a call or bring up the call screen. Sometimes it works with no problem on the first push. Here's my question, should I return my storm and have it replaced now, or deal with the extra push here and there until the S2 comes out and try to see if there might be a way to upgrade (I know that's doubtful). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello Daso

Welcome to

I would not be so quick to think that you are experiencing hardware issues.
    I know 4.7.0.151 for the 9530 was leaked some time ago however I can recall having that on my device and experiencing that very same issue.

One way I know you could verify this is to downgrade back to 4.7.0.148 or go ahead a take the leap and try one of the newer 5.0.OS's

That issue very well may be software related.

Just my opinion. :fing02:

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    I have to agree with MePascal as I had the same trouble on that build. was one of the reasons I couldnt stand .151

JustinD is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    9550 & 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    isnt there a 4.7.0.176 for the storm also ?

Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
    Sorry...If there is, It has not been leaked to my knowledge.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the quick responses. I would have never thought it was the OS!!. I guess it gives me no choice but to try the latest 5 build.

JustinD is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    9550 & 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    Sorry...If there is, It has not been leaked to my knowledge.
    i had the #'s backward.....its 167 not 176

9530 4.7.0.167 leak - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    i must be brain dead today, I meant I have .167 on my Storm, not .151. Sorry everyone!!!!

Dave12308 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
    There is a 4.7.0.173 which is an official release for a provider called "A1", but it is for the Storm 9500 model. Its Java files are used in a few of the hybrid OSes.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 09-20-2009 at 01:25 AM.

jasonfyc is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted (storm 9530)

Quote Originally Posted by Daso
    i must be brain dead today, I meant I have .167 on my Storm, not .151. Sorry everyone!!!!
    The issue you are referring to... Is fixed in the 5.0 OS! Answering a call was a pain also, and that is fixed! As for your latter choice... Its gonna be hard enough to get an S2 of you have the Upgrade coming, let alone tryin to do it after a 5 month old upgrade! I really think Mepascal got you answered!

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Everyone. I decided to load 5.0 this morning and have to say it runs great!!!!! Very happy with it so far and no crashes or any odd behavior. Very nice and fast as well as pleasing to look at . Button issue seems better, but will give it some time to see. Definitely highly recommended upgrade!!!. Thanks for all the work you guys put into making this OS update happen. Update went really smooth and took about 25 min.

PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted (storm 9530)

I'm really glad you got phone up and running the way it should... Don't forget there is still some issues with apps and a couple of glitches but overall I think 5.o Is the way it should have been from the beginning! Any problems, just let us know, and there are fixes for some things already...

givmedew is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow givmedew On Twitter
    PIN
    the tail on the donky
    Device
    Moto Droid, 9530 and 8230
    OS
    Android 2.0, v10 Hybrid, and 5.0 leak for pearl
    Liked
    0 times
    I would hope that if someone DID ACTUALLY GO IN WITH THE WRONG OS that they would notice that you are running the wrong OS and void your warranty... it is very unlikely that your issue is caused by anything hardware related... I think that Verizon is starting to wise up and I was told by a tech that they are checking the os version to make sure you are not on the old OS which means they will notice if you are on a leaked one. I also heard that they are being informed to backup your contacts WIPE your phone and then try to replicate the problem before replacing the phone which means you probably wont be having any issues after they do that.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST... if you screen clicks very well dont count on getting a replacement with a good screen... my replacement SUCKED I had to adjust it the whole bottom half of the screen barely clicked...

As far as getting a upgrade to the S2 I doubt it... you have to remember that almost every s1 owner is going to try to do the same thing that you are and every s1 owner is going to think they are entitled to doing so... In other words I dont see many exceptions being made when EVERYONE will be asking for it.

Myself... I am going to use my dads upgrade since I pay for my whole family and just bought him a GZONE since he works on cnc machines and gets the nasty water on them...

If I didnt have an upgrade I would have nicely asked if someone could make an exception and give me the 1 year pricing which is only $70 extra
    Last edited by givmedew; 09-20-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by givmedew View Post
    I would hope that if someone DID ACTUALLY GO IN WITH THE WRONG OS that they would notice that you are running the wrong OS and void your warranty...
    So I realize that you are entitled to your opinion however, if this is your summation, would you consider any third party application to do the same?

I have an issue with the argument that software would void a warranty especially when in fact carriers push software onto our devices.

I respect the fact that this is your stand concerning an OS yet, software is software. :fing02:

PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    So I realize that you are entitled to your opinion however, if this is your summation, would you consider any third party application to do the same?

I have an issue with the argument that software would void a warranty especially when in fact carriers push software onto our devices.

I respect the fact that this is your stand concerning an OS yet, software is software. :fing02:
    I have to agree with MePascal... Not to mention, you actually walking into a store and dealing with a rep that new how to find the OS or even know what they were reading. SLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIMMMMM! 3rd party apps have been an issue in the past with CS reps, but you know how to redial? These things being discussed are only something that may slow your process, not actually keep you from getting a replacement! There is always somebody that will do it! Its just knowing how to find them!:bandit:

PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    LAST BUT NOT LEAST... if you screen clicks very well dont count on getting a replacement with a good screen... my replacement SUCKED I had to adjust it the whole bottom half of the screen barely clicked...

Now this statement... :haha:

This is where, when they hand you a phone that the screen is fubared, you hand it back and tell them you didn't bring a phone in with a screen problem! On the latter side, You point out that, that is why you are bringing the the phone in, in the first place! Walk in with confidence and atleast act like you know what your talkin about! They don't but they will act like they do! I have had 4 replaced and only 1 because of the screen! It was #2 and after that, they ran their happy ass to that back room until I got a refurb I was happy with! You made need to remind them that you give them several thousands dollars a year! Trust me they don't want you to call CS right there in the store... :1244:

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I would hope that if someone DID ACTUALLY GO IN WITH THE WRONG OS that they would notice that you are running the wrong OS and void your warranty... it is very unlikely that your issue is caused by anything hardware related... I think that Verizon is starting to wise up and I was told by a tech that they are checking the os version to make sure you are not on the old OS which means they will notice if you are on a leaked one. I also heard that they are being informed to backup your contacts WIPE your phone and then try to replicate the problem before replacing the phone which means you probably wont be having any issues after they do that.

As far as getting a upgrade to the S2 I doubt it... you have to remember that almost every s1 owner is going to try to do the same thing that you are and every s1 owner is going to think they are entitled to doing so... In other words I dont see many exceptions being made when EVERYONE will be asking for it.

Myself... I am going to use my dads upgrade since I pay for my whole family and just bought him a GZONE since he works on cnc machines and gets the nasty water on them...

If I didnt have an upgrade I would have nicely asked if someone could make an exception and give me the 1 year pricing which is only $70 extra
    I would of course have restored the phone to a "legit" OS before taking it into verizon regardless of the general "aptitude or ineptitude" of VZ store techs. I also agree that the likeliness of getting an upgrade when the S2 comes out is about as likely as winning the lottery!!! I agree that having a Storm with a great screen makes me fearful of going in and getting a lesser one. I had to go through 5 of them when I replaced my wife's originally. They started to get a bit annoyed with me at the store, but I nicely reminded them that I spend $2,000 a year with them. For now (12 hours after installing os 5) I am pretty happy with my storm, although the call button still doesn't respond everytime. Thanks again!!

givmedew is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow givmedew On Twitter
    PIN
    the tail on the donky
    Device
    Moto Droid, 9530 and 8230
    OS
    Android 2.0, v10 Hybrid, and 5.0 leak for pearl
    Liked
    0 times
    :bigeyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Daso View Post
    I would of course have restored the phone to a "legit" OS before taking it into verizon regardless of the general "aptitude or ineptitude" of VZ store techs. I also agree that the likeliness of getting an upgrade when the S2 comes out is about as likely as winning the lottery!!! I agree that having a Storm with a great screen makes me fearful of going in and getting a lesser one. I had to go through 5 of them when I replaced my wife's originally. They started to get a bit annoyed with me at the store, but I nicely reminded them that I spend $2,000 a year with them. For now (12 hours after installing os 5) I am pretty happy with my storm, although the call button still doesn't respond everytime. Thanks again!!
    $2000 a year isnt the profit even before you start figuring in phone. If you slap them in the face with 300 in subsidy when you buy your first storm then at probably $150 a pop for refurbs thats $750 then one for you 1050 that has to go to paying reps, bills, towers, etc...

You have to remember this is one of the reasons why unlmited internet on non pda phone is only 10/m compared to 30 and for $20 you can get web vcast and navi whereas on the storm vcast is going to cost you $10 and so is navi...

They have to pay for the over double return rate from BB to phones. Those frus started as perfectly fine phones that had to be tested and have the plastics replaced... during that process they messed them up a lil...

If you have a working phone keep it.

I was going to return my frist one becuase when you double clicked the menu key it would pull the running apps screen and after I got a replacement because i cracked my screen i noticed the new one did the same thing sometime... becareful
    Last edited by givmedew; 09-21-2009 at 12:49 AM.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    I would hope that if someone DID ACTUALLY GO IN WITH THE WRONG OS that they would notice that you are running the wrong OS and void your warranty...
    Running the wrong OS in no way voids your warrenty.. they will want an authorized os on for testing, the only thing running an unauthorized OS does is means that if you have a software issue they will not support it. It in NO way voids the warranty on the phone though