sandman1987 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530/Moto Droid
    OS
    BBC v10
    Liked
    0 times

Advance Restore with DM

I see people talking about doing an advance restore after installing a new OS to pick and choose the files to restore. I can see the logic behind this. My issue is when I see that list of different databases I get confused. I tried to do this once by selecting the obvious choices (address book, calendar, messages, etc.) But then after the back up I had lost all my settings for almost everything.

Has someone made a thread listing what all those databases are and why someone should or should not restore each one? If so can someone point me to it? If not, would someone be willing to write a tutorial about doing an advance restore? I would love to learn more about it.

Thanks in advance!!!

jasonfyc is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman1987 View Post
    I see people talking about doing an advance restore after installing a new OS to pick and choose the files to restore. I can see the logic behind this. My issue is when I see that list of different databases I get confused. I tried to do this once by selecting the obvious choices (address book, calendar, messages, etc.) But then after the back up I had lost all my settings for almost everything.

Has someone made a thread listing what all those databases are and why someone should or should not restore each one? If so can someone point me to it? If not, would someone be willing to write a tutorial about doing an advance restore? I would love to learn more about it.

Thanks in advance!!!

The idea is for you to reset everthing manually... If you remove certain things on install, then install your backup, you can actually corrupt your OS! (in a sense) Your phone will want to accomplish things that aren't there!
    So the suggestion is... Do the settings manually and only install (on advanced) what you cant replace! Contacts and autotext is usually all I do! Calender... I just get from my sync! Anything else.. Just ask!

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Maybe someone could work on a HOW TO for this but I am unsure.. Maybe Neo, hes good at doing videos

PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    Maybe someone could work on a HOW TO for this but I am unsure.. Maybe Neo, hes good at doing videos

It's a pretty basic process... Maybe if I get a few minutes today, I can get a screen shot up and a write up! Plus an explanation why? I just saw a "why" in another thread!:laugh2:

Device
    Storm 9530/Moto Droid
    OS
    BBC v10
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonfyc View Post
    The idea is for you to reset everthing manually... If you remove certain things on install, then install your backup, you can actually corrupt your OS! (in a sense) Your phone will want to accomplish things that aren't there!
    So the suggestion is... Do the settings manually and only install (on advanced) what you cant replace! Contacts and autotext is usually all I do! Calender... I just get from my sync! Anything else.. Just ask!
    I understand why the advance restore would be better. But I don't know which ones to restore safely. You say only install what you can't replace, but if I don't know what the database is then I don't know if I can replace it. I can get the easy ones like address book, etc. But I was hoping to find out what they all were so I knew if I needed to restore or not or if I should/shouldn't restore.

PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman1987 View Post
    I understand why the advance restore would be better. But I don't know which ones to restore safely. You say only install what you can't replace, but if I don't know what the database is then I don't know if I can replace it. I can get the easy ones like address book, etc. But I was hoping to find out what they all were so I knew if I needed to restore or not or if I should/shouldn't restore.

Ok... Look at this way: what are you missing after you load your OS, besides calender, and contacts?

P.S. I will get a better explanation up for you with screen shots today! Just tryin to help you understand this now!:22:

Device
    Storm 9530/Moto Droid
    OS
    BBC v10
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonfyc View Post
    Ok... Look at this way: what are you missing after you load your OS, besides calender, and contacts?

P.S. I will get a better explanation up for you with screen shots today! Just tryin to help you understand this now!:22:
    Thanks Jason! Will check back later for those. Appreciate everyone's help!

PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted (storm 9530)

No problem! :fing02:

maddog241 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    VZW BB Bold 9650
    OS
    Official 6.0.0.431
    Liked
    2 times
    I think Jason hit the nail on the head here when he said that if you restore certain options from a previous OS, your phone then might be trying to execute instructions that no longer are valid with a new OS.

I'm no expert by any means, but I have always done advanced restore after installing a new OS. I skip anything in the file list that refers to options or settings. I basically only restore address book, BBM contacts, and custom dictionary words. For my calendar, I do a sync with Outlook to restore that.

Going this route, I have so far never experienced the error messages or reboots that so many have. I also always start out a new OS on the default theme. Once settled in I might test themes for compatability.

Hope this helps.....
    Let's Go Pens !!!!!!
    No matter how hard you push the envelope...It will always be stationery