Sticking with your 9530
After having 24 hours to play with 188.8.131.52 and loving it, many thanks to , I began to think whether or not to use one of my upgrades when the Storm 2 comes out.
Basically, we know that it will have a different screen, but other than that is it going to be worth the $199 or $250 investment, now that my Storm 1 is working at a similar level.
What will you do? Upgrade or stick with the S1.
Well the main reason I would get the Storm 2 is if the typing is a little better. Meaning, if they don't cause so much pressure on my Thumbs. I know everyone's S1 is different but after having mine since December I've developed a bit of pain on the joints of the thumb lol. I know with all phones it's going to b there, so if the S2 can relieve some of the pressure by making the screen more clickable, then yea I might go with S2
I would like to have the wifi on S2.
I'm pretty much sure I'm not gonna upgrade and get the Storm 2. With 184.108.40.206, my Storm does everything I need it to do flawlessly.
im with yah...i mean i cant deny i want the storm 2, but with all the berrys blackberry is pushing out and the rumor of 16 new ones in 2010 along with a very probably LTE berry, id say it will definitely be worth the wait
Originally Posted by BucktownSolja
Sticking with my storm. Might want the wifi at some point though.
I will say this to the OP....Way to drive your point home. I can assuredly say without a doubt that I was/am a huge proponent of the Odin.
I said that to say this....I am satisfied with my device. This Blackberry OS is amazing. I would have liked to see the Tabbed browsing feature incorporated into this build however, Most features of this device are very functional and reliable for now.
Great thread Bx...:fing02:
*EDIT* you know I'm getting the New Storm.....Hurry up October....:banana:
Last edited by MePascal; 09-18-2009 at 08:46 PM.
The more I think about this I begin to think, why would I need wifi? I get great service 99.9% of the places I am and the other places there wouldn't be wifi anyway. I would like the screen but is it worth $200...maybe not. Depends on how much better it is I guess. If I don't want it I need to never pick one up, once I do it will be over no matter what if the screen is vastly better.
Originally Posted by MePascal
Storm 1 has gone through an amazing metamorphosis since launch. About the only complaint I have with the v5 OS is the 3rd party app problems, which I assume will go away once apps are being developed with it in mind... Wifi would be nice, but after all the stuff we've been through, I can't see myself dumping my good ol' 9530...
I am not due an upgrade until October 2010 so I plan to stick with my 9530 for awhile. I must admit that the updates to 5.0 have made a major difference in the phones usability.
I am unsure what I will do, I am a bit of a phone junky and I feel like I have just started on my quest to own every blackberry there is.
Having said this, I will wait until the new year to upgrade, I am looking into getting the htc hero with the sense ui as well.
I am a blackberry lover but I love phones in general as well.
I'm pretty happy with the phone's OS as long as the screen remains clickable
I'm going to wait it out... and see what 2010 brings to the Storm family... maybe 16GB of built in flash? or a slimmer looking handset? or both? One can only hope!
I'm not up for an upgrade till summer of next year. I'm quite comfortable with my storm, but I'd like to have the storm2 just because it's new. When 5.0 rolls out it's gonna be a different storm & RIM gonna release it 32 days after the storm2, just so people with storm1 that upgraded can't return it. Lol. Oh, and I'll wait for the storm3.
Last edited by BDRAGON; 09-19-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Hello quiet1. If you are developing signs of repetitive stress injury to your thumb, you should know a couple of things; as continued stress to the joint can lead to quite unpleasant things, up to and including thumb surgery.
Originally Posted by quiet1
First and most important point: the root cause of these RSIs (generically called "BlackBerry Thumb") is simply the mechanics of the way the thumb works. Our thumbs have the least dexterity of any of the digits, and are simply not designed for repetitive motions such as typing on a thumb keyboard. It's not the amount of force needed to initiate on-screen actions that causes the problem, it's simply the number of times the joint is moved.
Any device with a thumb operated keyboard, virtual or not; click or not, can cause this problem. Thus the term "BlackBerry Thumb" - the term was coined way before the Storm released and has nothing to do with "physical thumb board vs. virtual" and also has nothing to do with clickiness/lack thereof.
If anything, a Storm 2 would excaberate the problem, as it actually allows a person to type FASTER, thus causing MORE stress on the joint. In summary, it's the amount of typing you are doing as well as the speed you are doing it at, not the way the Storm 1 screen clicks.
I would still recommend getting a Storm 2 IF you want one, as it's shaping up to be quite a nice device. But if you really like your Storm 1 and it works well for you, I just wanted to advise against switching to S2 simply because of your thumb pain, as IMHO that would be a waste of money and leave you disappointed.
Another recommendation of mine is to temporarily switch to using your pointer finger for your Storm typing/navigation needs until your thumb heals. And try to minimize the amount of typing you do on your device. Try to keep your messages short and to the point, if a simple yes/no will suffice then don't feel bad about a "short" answer - your thumbs will thank you for it. Oh, and one more thing - try to avoid marathon 2-hour Guitar Hero World Tour sessions on your Storm *LOL*
(Saying the last from experience, I am currently suffering from BlackBerry thumb myself from playing GH-WT for 2 hours yesterday afternoon. Last night my thumb was so sore I couldn't move it, today it is just stiff as a board)
Last edited by Dave12308; 09-19-2009 at 09:32 AM.
i will have the storm2 on the day of release because i love the storm and the s2 will be the new kid on the block.
Given that most of us may be tied to long contract upgrade dates my main issue is the complete basement bargain price of the Storm and the two for one offers coming out for phone purchases. With the recent hybrid release for the Storm and I would expect continued leaks and upgrades, I can wait for the S2 to go through its entry pains and issues. I would also have to wait and see what accessories I’ve purchased for the S1 can support the S2. Find it very difficult to pour money into these devices that the manufacturer can’t see the need to have some common degrees of compatibility. Besides there are quite a lot of us Storm users in BBOS Nation that would not know what to do with their late nights if there were no leaks and upgrades coming from BBOS.
"Sticking with S1 for now"
Originally Posted by catstide
I'll be interested to see if Verizon offers any kind of discount for current Storm owners (not to open up that bitching session again!), but more than likely I'm upgrading on day 1!
Current Storm has been greatly improved with the newest OS's, but these improvements have been using leaked OS's. I still don't think a person should have to go to as much work as Storm owners have had to in order to make their device work smoothly. While I have had fun tinkering and learning how to create my own personal Frankenstein's Monster, in the end as much as these devices cost they should work properly and smoothly straight out of the box.
If I break down and upgrade to a Storm 2, I'm going to be pissed if it is sluggish out of the box....
Tags for this Thread