Problem with setting up service overseas???

Thread: Problem with setting up service overseas???

Lunars Edge Design is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Lunars Edge Design On Twitter Add Lunars Edge Design on Facebook
    Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times

Problem with setting up service overseas???

Ok, so I finally got my phone set up here in Israel. I was on Verizon Wireless network in the US. Now I'm on Cellcom in Israel on a GSM 3G Network. The problem is my old phone number still shows as the phone's number and I can't get internet even though I ordered a data plan.

Any ideas???

- Jerde

Shane is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jerde View Post
    Ok, so I finally got my phone set up here in Israel. I was on Verizon Wireless network in the US. Now I'm on Cellcom in Israel on a GSM 3G Network. The problem is my old phone number still shows as the phone's number and I can't get internet even though I ordered a data plan.

Any ideas???

- Jerde
    Did Cellcom activate the phone or did you self activate it? Sound like service books issue

Lunars Edge Design is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Lunars Edge Design On Twitter Add Lunars Edge Design on Facebook
    Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Did Cellcom activate the phone or did you self activate it? Sound like service books issue
    all they did was put the sim card in it.

PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    all they did was put the sim card in it.
    Just curious... Is your phone set to GSM in Options/Mobile Network?

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Just curious... Is your phone set to GSM in Options/Mobile Network?
    Yes, it is.

PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    Does your Options/Advanced Options/Host Routing Table still point to Verizon or Cellcom. Also are you able to access your email settings?

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Does your Options/Advanced Options/Host Routing Table still point to Verizon or Cellcom. Also are you able to access your email settings?
    Host routing tables says "no entries"

No, I can't access my email

PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    Is your sim card registering in your phone? Options/Advanced Options/SIM card.

PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    Also, is the phone unlocked?

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Is your sim card registering in your phone? Options/Advanced Options/SIM card.
    I see a long number about 18 digits.

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Also, is the phone unlocked?
    Yes

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    I was able to receive calls on the their network and to make a call, but no internet or email and my US number still shows as "my number" on the screen.

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    So after talking with Israel's Cellcom under trained employees and unskilled customer service I was told that I need to accept their special plan designated for the BlackBerry even though my phone is unlocked. This plan basically sucks as I was told that as far as data and internet go I need to pay 220 Shekel, which is about 55 dollars which doesn't even include phone service. I would then recieve 100 mb internet, 100 mb data, 50 mb GPS. Don't ever buy a BlackBerry and bring it to Israel because you will be charged more than it's worth to own a BlackBerry.

PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    So after talking with Israel's Cellcom under trained employees and unskilled customer service I was told that I need to accept their special plan designated for the BlackBerry even though my phone is unlocked. This plan basically sucks as I was told that as far as data and internet go I need to pay 220 Shekel, which is about 55 dollars which doesn't even include phone service. I would then recieve 100 mb internet, 100 mb data, 50 mb GPS. Don't ever buy a BlackBerry and bring it to Israel because you will be charged more than it's worth to own a BlackBerry.
    Well that sucks. You did say the SIM you did get originally got from them had internet included. Maybe use it to connect through WAP somewhere around you. Your bbm wouldnt work, but you wouldnt be price gouged for BIS.

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Well that sucks. You did say the SIM you did get originally got from them had internet included. Maybe use it to connect through WAP somewhere around you. Your bbm wouldnt work, but you wouldnt be price gouged for BIS.
    Yea the salesman didn't know that the BlackBerry had to be set up on a special data plan and sold me another plan instead. So, basically we are just going to cancel the contract based upon false pretense leading up to the contract. If you hear of anything else I can do to have a affordable fully functional BlackBerry in Israel please let me know. In the meantime I may just have to cross the divide and get a iPhone. :cussing:

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Ok, so I figure I would update on my experience in getting my BB Storm setup with a Data plan here in Israel. Cellcom Israel was a disaster and I would not recommend them to anyone who is trying to get their phone service in Israel. They will want to charge you 220 shekel (about 55 USD) for only around 100 mb of Data for a month.

But I did find a solution. Go with the cellphone provider Orange. Not only is their Customer Service better (over the phone that is), they also offer a way better deal as far as data and internet go. I signed up for a 5 Gigabyte plan for only 140 shekel (about 35 USD) per month!!! If you are reading this and you want to set up service in Israel through Orange with your BlackBerry phone you will need to know that 99 percent of the salesman don't have a clue what they are talking about. You will need to have them call the Orange data customer service and have them email you the 3 page contract between you and RIM to receive BlackBerry internet service or you will not be able to connect. So after 2 weeks of trying to setup my phone and many trials later I finally found a solution.

PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    Thats great news Jerde. I know I was pulling my hair out trying to figure how to make it work. lol

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    Thats great news Jerde. I know I was pulling my hair out trying to figure how to make it work. lol
    Lol, I know, you were not only pulling your hair, but also from every possible resource you could. I just wish we could have found a thread like this one before I attempted to connect with BlackBerry in Israel. The CS rep from Orange did tell me that they used to go through a company that went through RIM, but now they are going straight through RIM, so things are looking up for Israel and the BlackBerry device.

PIN
    yes
    OS
    5.0.xxx/.40
    Liked
    0 times
    All that matters now is you are back in bb business now.

Device
    PlayBook
    OS
    Liked
    34 times
    All that matters now is you are back in bb business now.
    Time to feed my cravings!