PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Angry Cannot Load OS 5.0

I have been loading leaked OSes on to my Storm since I have gotten it. I was holding off on loading OSv 5.0.0.140 for awhile because 4.7.0.151 was a really solid build and it was doing a good job. But i decided I wanted a change and wanted to try the 5.0. So I download, extract, and install the OS. I deleted the RIM internal Apps and the Vendor.xml file. No problem. Then I Open Desktop Manager and try to load the new OS through the Update Software through the Applicaton Loader. I click on the 5.0 version and then it goes to the update summary and it says there is no software update required for the device. anybody have any ideas? I noticed when I clicked on the Blackberry 5.0 for 9530 in the available update screen that there was an asterisk next to this option and on the bottom it says "only active Blackberry service subscribers are entitled to install this Blackberry Device Software upgrade" Does this matter? I look forward to hearing what you guys may have to say about possible solutions. Thanks!

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbprintz215 View Post
    I have been loading leaked OSes on to my Storm since I have gotten it. I was holding off on loading OSv 5.0.0.140 for awhile because 4.7.0.151 was a really solid build and it was doing a good job. But i decided I wanted a change and wanted to try the 5.0. So I download, extract, and install the OS. I deleted the RIM internal Apps and the Vendor.xml file. No problem. Then I Open Desktop Manager and try to load the new OS through the Update Software through the Applicaton Loader. I click on the 5.0 version and then it goes to the update summary and it says there is no software update required for the device. anybody have any ideas? I noticed when I clicked on the Blackberry 5.0 for 9530 in the available update screen that there was an asterisk next to this option and on the bottom it says "only active Blackberry service subscribers are entitled to install this Blackberry Device Software upgrade" Does this matter? I look forward to hearing what you guys may have to say about possible solutions. Thanks!

bbprintz,

Are you familiar with the Loader.exe?

bbprintz215 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow bbprintz215 On Twitter
    PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

Bb printz, go to c: program files>common files>research in motion> app loader and double click on Loader.exe (loader with phone icon). It will go thru PIN, then have list of OS and apps. Select what you would like loaded, click next and wait for complete. Don't disconnect device until loader tells you process complete. Make sure you back up first (both phone and 3rd party apps). Good luck and keep us posted. No worries, we'll walk you through the process.

Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    First of all,

The Desktop Manager needs to be the latest 5.0 version to be able to install the 5.0.0.140 OS for the 9530 correctly.

You can get that here.

Only download this if you are using the 4.7 Desktop Manager.

If you find that you need this, uninstall your current version of Desktop Manger. Be sure not to delete the OS that you want to install.

After that is complete, Download the New Desktop Manager. In the field where it asks for a phone number simply type 999-999-9999. Now you can perform the Download.

Once this is complete, you can try to install the 5.0 OS through apploader again.

Be sure to backup all third party apps and perform a device backup as well.

To run the install through Loader.exe follow these steps.

My Computer>>Local C>>Program Files>>Common Files>>Research in Motion>>AppLoader.

In this folder be sure a file called vendor.xml is deleted. It generally is listed at the bottom of the list of files. Once you have deleted this, run a search on your PC for the word Vendor. Be sure to include any hidden files.

Now that this is finished, connect your BB to your PC via the sync cable. Once intialization is complete, look for the Loader.exe file. Looks like a picture of a phone. Run this application. This should load the OS onto your device.

Any questions feel free to ask.
    Last edited by MePascal; 08-13-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted

Thanks Michael for clarification. I wasn't sure if you were still here

Me uttahere:

Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

Thanks Michael for clarification. I wasn't sure if you were still here

Me uttahere:

Good to know you got my back olta...I'll be around for about an hour. I'll have my BB on me. I'm sure between us and our members, this should be good.

Bxrider117 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    3049B9CB
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0 said freeze and I got numb!!!
    Liked
    0 times
    BBprintz215,

I am not as seasoned as Olta and MePascal, but when I was jumping back and forth from .151 to 5.0, I backed up my 3rd party apps. Everytime I would load 5.0, some of my apps were not the recommended version for 5.0, ie. BBM 5.0. I would recommed loading the OS clean and then reload 3rd party apps. When I would load them at one time I always got a fatal error and the loading would stop. Once the OS is loaded then I would proceed to reloading 3rd party apps.

Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bxrider117 View Post
    BBprintz215,

I am not as seasoned as Olta and MePascal, but when I was jumping back and forth from .151 to 5.0, I backed up my 3rd party apps. Everytime I would load 5.0, some of my apps were not the recommended version for 5.0, ie. BBM 5.0. I would recommed loading the OS clean and then reload 3rd party apps. When I would load them at one time I always got a fatal error and the loading would stop. Once the OS is loaded then I would proceed to reloading 3rd party apps.
    Excellent point Bxrider. I have found that sometimes during my ugrades that the Loader will find fault with these apps as well. While I never got the fatal error, the loader simply did not install the apps. Loader also gave my the message that during the install of such n such some of the such n such did not .....etc etc. You get the picture.

Thanks for the input Bx

PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks to MePascal, Olta, and everybody else who helped out. MePascal I followed your instructions and it worked like a charm! Now all I need is the OTA for BBM 5.0. Thanks family, if it weren't for you I would have probably put my head through a wall!!!

PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    To clarify, I installed the Blackberry OS V 5.0.0140. Then I deleted the Vendor.XML file and the RIM Internal Tools application. Then I ran Loader.EXE. That can be found by clicking on MyComouter> C Program Files> Common Files> Research and Motion> AppLoader> Loader. Then I followed the prompts, selected the apps I wanted and let it do its thing. This was a much better option then Desktop Manager because the user can choose exactly what they want on their phone and so on. Thanks again

Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Congratulations...Glad to see you got it going.

Blackberry Messenger 5.0 OTA's.

Copy and paste this link in an email and send it to your device.

http://www.theiexplorers.com/BBM/For_5.0.0/BBMen.jad

Good luck....

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    BBprintz, I am glad you got it to work!!! Once you do the loader a few times, you will forget how DM looks Loader is so much easier to use, it's faster, and is more leak/hybrid friendly.

PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Olta, I totally agree with you. I think I already forget how DM works because I erased it from memory :haha:

Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbprintz215 View Post
    Olta, I totally agree with you. I think I already forget how DM works because I erased it from memory :haha:
    I am very glad you got it all to work. Enjoy 5.0!!! One advice I can give you that I have received as well is: to minimize reboots, make sure you clear your browser cache frequently if you browse internet a lot. Welcome to the bright side!!! :arms:

watkins is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow watkins On Twitter
    PIN
    if you can
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    5.0.0.230 Shrunk!!!!
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    First of all,

The Desktop Manager needs to be the latest 5.0 version to be able to install the 5.0.0.140 OS for the 9530 correctly.
    i didn't have any problems with 4.7

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by watkins View Post
    i didn't have any problems with 4.7
    I guess you got lucky. I had many many issues with DM 4.7 and it wasn't until I loaded the latest version of DM 5.0 did it work.

watkins is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow watkins On Twitter
    PIN
    if you can
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    5.0.0.230 Shrunk!!!!
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    I guess you got lucky. I had many many issues with DM 4.7 and it wasn't until I loaded the latest version of DM 5.0 did it work.
    i told you guys my phone was a trooper....until recently when i had to send it in:17:

wolvrne1 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    TO Beans & Rice
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    its a hybrid.. fuel efficient
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok I drank the kool-aid (tastes better when RUM is added..) and d/l OS 5.0.140 to my STORM.. booted at 46MB initially and it seems to be holding steady... that being said I have several questions that I hope somebody can answer... First & foremost I keep getting an error: 'uncaught exception: java.lang.nullpointerE xception' what is it and should I be worried? 2) when I reset my tones/alerts that don't seem to work other than for phone calls/BBM's is this normal; 3) one of the great things about BB was the ability to put all my emails/bbms/sms/mms in the same folder, while that is in a option it doesn't seem to work properly, aside from having many folders on my screen is there a workaround? Other than those and I consider them minor issues, 5.0 seems to be very smooth, have not had any random reboots (been running for 24 hours now). Thanks for everyone's help.

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wolvrne1 View Post
    Ok I drank the kool-aid (tastes better when RUM is added..) and d/l OS 5.0.140 to my STORM.. booted at 46MB initially and it seems to be holding steady... that being said I have several questions that I hope somebody can answer... First & foremost I keep getting an error: 'uncaught exception: java.lang.nullpointerE xception' what is it and should I be worried? 2) when I reset my tones/alerts that don't seem to work other than for phone calls/BBM's is this normal; 3) one of the great things about BB was the ability to put all my emails/bbms/sms/mms in the same folder, while that is in a option it doesn't seem to work properly, aside from having many folders on my screen is there a workaround? Other than those and I consider them minor issues, 5.0 seems to be very smooth, have not had any random reboots (been running for 24 hours now). Thanks for everyone's help.
    Do you have a theme besides the stock one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast