Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Themes and 5.0.0.140

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times

Themes and 5.0.0.140

Now that everyone has had a while to play around with 5.0 for the Storm, I was wondering whether anyone has been able to get audible alerts while using a 3rd party theme. I am talking about alerts for SMS/Emails. I have tried all of the obvious ideas so curious as to whether anyone found a workaround for this. If you have would love to hear as well as what theme you got it to work with.

sbain1 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow sbain1 On Twitter
    PIN
    306E23D1
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Now that everyone has had a while to play around with 5.0 for the Storm, I was wondering whether anyone has been able to get audible alerts while using a 3rd party theme. I am talking about alerts for SMS/Emails. I have tried all of the obvious ideas so curious as to whether anyone found a workaround for this. If you have would love to hear as well as what theme you got it to work with.
    I don't have anywhere near the skill you guys do, so I am hoping for an answer as well.

My workaround is BerryBuzz. It gives different colored flash for each alert and you can set it not to shut off so you don't miss it.

For some reason, BlackBerry Messenger (5.0.0.8) audible notification works.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sbain1 View Post
    I don't have anywhere near the skill you guys do, so I am hoping for an answer as well.

My workaround is BerryBuzz. It gives different colored flash for each alert and you can set it not to shut off so you don't miss it.

Berry Buzz is insufficient for me as many times I have my phone in my pocket so a flashing light does not work for me.

BBM also gives me an audible notification but not sms/email. I have tried changing the profile to loud then changing every setting to match it but that has not worked. I have tried a number of other things as well so my guess is that plazmic is just not compatible with 5.0

But you never know, maybe someone got lucky and found a way to get it to work.

catstide is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    what's tha
    Device
    DROID
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    a possible work around for you j would be bbalerts. it should still work on the custom themes if you set it to "audible alert". the only problem is that you would get the tone 1 minute after you receive the sms/email. i have not tried this with custom themes but i believe it would work. bbalerts has a free trial so if this is an acceptable workaround,give it a whirl...

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    a possible work around for you j would be bbalerts. it should still work on the custom themes if you set it to "audible alert". the only problem is that you would get the tone 1 minute after you receive the sms/email. i have not tried this with custom themes but i believe it would work. bbalerts has a free trial so if this is an acceptable workaround,give it a whirl...
    Thanks, will give it a shot.

Storm5150 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Storm5150 On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    .713 based Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't know exactly how it happened, but I have a theme giving alerts!!! Vistacomplete by KD, first time I tried 5.0 it didn't work so I tried another theme and still a no go as everyone was starting to comment on. Switched to OOAK, then Lyric then BBC V8. Found my theme at time was leaking a little bit so I went back to Vistacomplete on V8 and battery and memory fixed. Today I decide to try 5.0 again with only the Zen theme installed, played around for a while then decide for stinks and giggles to download vistacomplete again and send an email and low and behold 2 vibrations in the leather holster then my ringtone sounded (Jack Bauer CTU) has worked on 2 email accounts and BBM 5.0. The only thing I know for certain is different now versus before is I deleted Meterberry, shouldn't have anything to do with it but it's the only concrete change I can think of since I have done too many things to figure out which one did it. Ask any questions regarding set up, etc. and I'll try to help
    When in doubt, pull the battery out!

PIN
    what's tha
    Device
    DROID
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm5150 View Post
    I don't know exactly how it happened, but I have a theme giving alerts!!! Vistacomplete by KD, first time I tried 5.0 it didn't work so I tried another theme and still a no go as everyone was starting to comment on. Switched to OOAK, then Lyric then BBC V8. Found my theme at time was leaking a little bit so I went back to Vistacomplete on V8 and battery and memory fixed. Today I decide to try 5.0 again with only the Zen theme installed, played around for a while then decide for stinks and giggles to download vistacomplete again and send an email and low and behold 2 vibrations in the leather holster then my ringtone sounded (Jack Bauer CTU) has worked on 2 email accounts and BBM 5.0. The only thing I know for certain is different now versus before is I deleted Meterberry, shouldn't have anything to do with it but it's the only concrete change I can think of since I have done too many things to figure out which one did it. Ask any questions regarding set up, etc. and I'll try to help
    as weird as it sounds...sometimes they work to start with then stop working later.hope yours keeps working...

Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    .713 based Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    as weird as it sounds...sometimes they work to start with then stop working later.hope yours keeps working...
    I hope so too, first time I installed it nothing worked at anytime and I tried 3 different themes, even the zen seem to be a hit and miss now and then. Might just be pure luck that's for sure.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    I hope so too, first time I installed it nothing worked at anytime and I tried 3 different themes, even the zen seem to be a hit and miss now and then. Might just be pure luck that's for sure.
    First time your phone reboots or you do a battery pull the tones will stop.

As Cat suggested, BB alerts works at least it has been the last few hours. So if audible notifications stop try that out. 14 day free trial period as well.

cicciav is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow cicciav On Twitter
    PIN
    305D8B07
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm really tempted to give this bbalerts a shot. I loved 5.0 but between the themes not alerting and the reboots....
    Never tried to figure out the random reboot but maybe i had to do with my apps. You guys are makin me rethink this again lol

Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    .713 based Hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    First time your phone reboots or you do a battery pull the tones will stop.

As Cat suggested, BB alerts works at least it has been the last few hours. So if audible notifications stop try that out. 14 day free trial period as well.
    Well, I certainly didn't doubt you but damn it you were right, first batt pull and back to status qou, however the only alerts I'm not getting are emails. I don't know about mms and such since I don't use that, I'd assume their a no go too, but bbm 5.0 alerts come through with no problem and my chosen mp3 for the phone ringer is fine, so all in all I'm ok without the email alerts, just another reason to check the screen.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Well, I certainly didn't doubt you but damn it you were right, first batt pull and back to status qou, however the only alerts I'm not getting are emails. I don't know about mms and such since I don't use that, I'd assume their a no go too, but bbm 5.0 alerts come through with no problem and my chosen mp3 for the phone ringer is fine, so all in all I'm ok without the email alerts, just another reason to check the screen.
    I had email alerts working for a few days but those stopped. But yeah with bb alerts all other alerts do work. Glad you're enjoying it.

bbprintz215 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow bbprintz215 On Twitter
    PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sbain1 View Post

Thats interesting my BBM which is the same one you have does not work

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bbprintz215 View Post
    Thats interesting my BBM which is the same one you have does not work
    So your audible notifications for BBM are not working? Which theme are you using?

PIN
    305D8B07
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, so I reloaded 5.0.0.140 and installed the latest BB Alerts but I'm still not getting sms or email audio notifications. I'm testing with Fresh Nu Skool Theme.
    Maybe I'm setting it up wrong. Can someone who has this working let me know what you did to get it working? I'd really appreciate it.

PIN
    what's tha
    Device
    DROID
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cicciav View Post
    Ok, so I reloaded 5.0.0.140 and installed the latest BB Alerts but I'm still not getting sms or email audio notifications. I'm testing with Fresh Nu Skool Theme.
    Maybe I'm setting it up wrong. Can someone who has this working let me know what you did to get it working? I'd really appreciate it.
    alerts still won't work but the bbalert tone will work...but unfortunately after a while it stopped working too. to get the bbalert tone set alert to "audible" in the bbalerts options.

PIN
    305D8B07
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info. bummer. I was also getting an error in the app that said the SMS listener failed to load so I don't think I would get SMS anyway

PIN
    what's tha
    Device
    DROID
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cicciav View Post
    Thanks for the info. bummer. I was also getting an error in the app that said the SMS listener failed to load so I don't think I would get SMS anyway
    i get that too everytime i reboot. i am using the stock zen theme and bbalerts work perfect using the "audible" selection.

Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    I give most credit for Catstide for this but finally believe we have a workaround for themes on OS 5.0 and audible alerts particularly email/sms.

First thing, if you have it installed, is delete BerryBuzz off you phone. Then install BB Alerts from here: http://www.bbymelsoftware.com/downlo...erryAlerts.jad

Once installed go to options, for audio type set it to Audio. Alert frequency, 1 minute. Then check all the items you want an audible alert for.

The audible alert will go of every minute until you check that message. Anyway, hope that helps some having issues with the audible alerts.

PIN
    305D8B07
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks JLevy, I will try it again cause it didn't work for me the first time. Maybe I'll get it working with the stock Zen first then go from there. Will post my results in the A.M.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast