New to smartphones in general, and feeling lost (awww) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to smartphones in general, and feeling lost (awww)

jasonfyc is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    ned her ag
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    8959765.655we80.754.
    Liked
    3 times
    Wirelessly posted (storm 9530)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeVT99
    Thanks for the replies, I'm already starting to look at the phone in a new light, I haven't had a chance to read through everything or try stuff yet because I'm in grad school and have
    A: work
    B: school projects
    C: mid-terms
    all due this week :/ Either way, just skimming through some of the tips threads is showing me what the phone is capable of
    Lee keep lettin us know what you need or want your phone to do. You really look like busy guy... Have you messed with your docs to go? Awesome tool for school and work! I use for work. Ill get documents that need to be edited and sent back. Email will show up ill edit and its sent back. I don't have to pack my laptop everywhere any more. For school.... Load a paper to your phone and add to it,edit, delete portions, all on the go. With PDF reader, you can download many college and other books to read. I could probably come up with a million different things for school use, but those I thought would be top ones for you.

wolvrne1 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    TO Beans & Rice
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    its a hybrid.. fuel efficient
    Liked
    1 times
    since we are on the subject of noob's (I am definitely one)... can someone please explain the difference's in all the Hybrid's? Is there a thread that one can go to see the differences in each one and how they 'play' with a specific device?

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wolvrne1 View Post
    since we are on the subject of noob's (I am definitely one)... can someone please explain the difference's in all the Hybrid's? Is there a thread that one can go to see the differences in each one and how they 'play' with a specific device?
    Hello wolvrne1 and Welcome to BBOS.

I can only give you my opinion on what makes the hybrids different from OS to OS. A Hybrid is just that...it is a copulation of different parts. Hybrid makers will takes characteristics of different OS's and manage to combine them into a completely new OS. The best of the best so to speak. That's the easiest way I can explain it.

As far as looking for a specific thread, your best bet would be to look for the findings thread associated with each individual hybrid.

Good luck and again welcome

RedNightHawk is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow RedNightHawk On Twitter
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeVT99 View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I'm already starting to look at the phone in a new light, I haven't had a chance to read through everything or try stuff yet because I'm in grad school and have
    A: work
    B: school projects
    C: mid-terms
    all due this week :/ Either way, just skimming through some of the tips threads is showing me what the phone is capable of
    I recall reading something this past week about a program that gave alerts based on location. I can't recall if it was an actual program or a wishlist of someone's. Hopefully someone else can elaborate on that. That might be something useful for remembering what you need to do at work, or school, or home, or at the grocery store, etc.

I use PDF to go a lot (part of Docs to Go Premium). It lets me carry some of the reference stuff I want with me on my SD card. The Premium edition is a bit expensive so you could also you MobiPocket Reader (I don't know if they have a Storm version, but I would assume so). The desktop client will let you convert different formats including HTML pages into it's book format. It isn't as good since it handles images poorly, but having the info with me without carrying around books or notes is quite useful.

There are also a bunch of task manager programs. Some are better for projects and will allow you to create tree views of projects so you know what all you have done and what all you need to do.

It sounds like you might be at the end of your school years, but if not, something like Student Docket might be worthwhile.

And since all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, investigate a site like Videos4BlackBerry where you can indulge in some entertainment to give your mind a break.

Good luck.

wolvrne1 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    TO Beans & Rice
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    its a hybrid.. fuel efficient
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MePascal View Post
    Hello wolvrne1 and Welcome to BBOS.

I can only give you my opinion on what makes the hybrids different from OS to OS. A Hybrid is just that...it is a copulation of different parts. Hybrid makers will takes characteristics of different OS's and manage to combine them into a completely new OS. The best of the best so to speak. That's the easiest way I can explain it.

As far as looking for a specific thread, your best bet would be to look for the findings thread associated with each individual hybrid.

Good luck and again welcome
    Thanks MePascal for the quick response and welcome aboard. Guess best thing to do would be to try the different hybrid's and see which operates best with my device?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12