Hybrids: Best and How to Install
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: Hybrids: Best and How to Install

  1. #1
    Geners is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    PIN
    OCCHIO!! You ARE a real Boy!
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    46
    Liked
    0 times

    Hybrids: Best and How to Install

    Excuse me in advance if these questions are answered in previous threads.


    OK... So I've read a bunch about "Hybrids". Just from what I've read, I assume these are OS's created by people that incorporate the best features of many different OS varients. ( Correct? )

    I just loaded OS 5.0 on my storm. I like some of the features such as the app transition. It is like that of OS 4.7. 151 except alot more noticable and dramatic. I also like the quickness of the screen change from landscape to portrait and vice versa. FAST. However, I cannot get past the quirks that this leak has like no audible alerts ( Except using Precision Zen ) . SMS and MMS do not show. Visual alert is there but no message until battery pull. Etc...( You folks are well aware of its shortcomings by now )

    If I'm correct about what they actually are, Can anyone recommend a Hybrid that may encorporate the exploding transition, fast screen switching, allow use of BBM5 and still assure that my themes allow my alerts to work? Also... I am completely unsure of how these are loaded onto our phones so any help with that would be appreciated.

    Again, I appoligize if I'm asking questions already answered. I thank you all in advance for any help offered from the best damn BB forum around.




  2. #2
    Morganizer's Avatar
    Morganizer is offline Blackberry Whore
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Posts
    756
    Liked
    0 times
    Here is an old tutorial I made hope this helps:

    I wrote this tutorial for OOAKDPC once... Here goes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Morganizer
    How to install a hybrid OS:

    1. Back up your device using Desktop Manager (open DM > backup & restore > back up):



    2. Back up your 3rd party applications using THIS TUTORIAL:



    3. (optional) Wipe using BBSAK; TUTORIAL HERE

    4. Download the hybrid files from the developer. These will consist of a java folder, CDMA folder, removed folder, and several loose files that look like this:



    5. What I like to do is create a hybrid folder on my desktop. I drag and drop the java, cdma, and all loose files into that folder on the desktop. So now the "hybrid" folder on your desktop should look exactly like the picture above except the missing "removed" folder. Leave the removed folder alone unless you know what you are doing and want to modify the hybrid.

    6. Next follow this path: C: > program files > common files > research in motion > shared files > loader files > then click the folder for your current OS (side note: always delete all OS versions that you are not currently using). Delete EVERYTHING in the OS folder but NOT the folder itself. The screen should look like this when you are deleting:



    7. Now drag and drop the contents of your temporary "hybrid" folder from the desktop into the OS folder that you just cleared out. Again, this will consist of the java folder, cdma folder, and all the loose files (alx files, etc.).

    8. Now you are ready to install the hybrid OS onto your device. The simplest way is to follow this path: C: > program files > common files > research in motion > app loader > and double click the loader icon that looks like a phone. This is a good time to double check in this same folder and make sure vendor.xml has been deleted. While in the app loader make sure to restore your 3rd party applications referring back to the 3rd party app tutorial above if needed.



    9. Once the loading operation is complete, restore your backup file using Desktop Manager (open DM > backup & restore > restore).

    10. When everything is complete, restored, etc. I like to do the following things: a. options > advanced > host routing table > menu key > register now; b. call *228 option 1, then repeat and select option 2; c. resend service books; d. battery pull

    I put this tutorial together rather quickly so if anything is confusion or you need any clarification please PM, BBM, or post here and I will help you through it and also keep revising this until it's just right. Good luck, installing hybrids is not as difficult as it appears once you get used to it.
    Last edited by Morganizer; 07-30-2009 at 08:55 PM.

  3. #3
    Rellims's Avatar
    Rellims is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic Follow Rellims On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denver
    PIN
    EAPPLE...Y
    Device
    9550
    OS
    5.0.whatever is newe
    Posts
    1,102
    Liked
    5 times
    Welcome to BBOS Geners!

    First of all, no question here is one that should not be asked.

    Currently there are no hybrids incorporating the 5.0.140 file as they are vastly different from the prior OS builds. This doesn't mean people arn't trying. I'm personally running BBC's 7.1.4-.151 hybrid and you still have the screen transitions but everything else works too.

    You can find information on this hybrid here:
    http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/9...1-4-151-a.html
    Last edited by Rellims; 07-30-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    See all of my free themes by clicking
    HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @1rellims

  4. #4
    Geners is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    PIN
    OCCHIO!! You ARE a real Boy!
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    46
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rellims View Post
    Welcome to BBOS Geners!

    First of all, no question here is one that should not be asked.

    Currently there are no hybrids incorporating the 5.0.140 file as they are vastly different from the prior OS builds. This doesn't mean people arn't trying. I'm personally running BBC's 7.1.4-.151 hybrid and you still have the screen transitions but everything else works too.

    You can find information on this hybrid here:
    http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/9...1-4-151-a.html

    Thank You. Install seemed to go smoothly. Hybrid seems really FAST! One "small" issue though. No BBM. Id like to put the BBM5 for 4.7 on my storm. Can I do that with this hybrid? Istall the same way? By copying COD files in Java folder and alx file in OS folder?
    Last edited by Geners; 07-31-2009 at 09:00 PM.

  5. #5
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geners View Post
    Thank You. Install seemed to go smoothly. Hybrid seems really FAST! One "small" issue though. No BBM. Id like to put the BBM5 for 4.7 on my storm. Can I do that with this hybrid? Istall the same way? By copying COD files in Java folder and alx file in OS folder?
    Yes I believe so. So long as the BBM files are for the OS version you have installed.

  6. #6
    Bxrider117's Avatar
    Bxrider117 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    PIN
    3049B9CB
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0 said freeze and I got numb!!!
    Posts
    262
    Liked
    0 times
    Geners,

    I just recently switch for OS 5.0 to OOAK's new 7.5 Hybrid and I really like. I also had BBC's 7.14 and I felt the same way. You can chose which ever one to run on your storm. .

    Welcome to BBOS!!!
    Last edited by Bxrider117; 07-31-2009 at 09:26 PM.

  7. #7
    trunk is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    PIN
    3059a863
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    Some hybrid
    Posts
    190
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geners View Post

    If I'm correct about what they actually are, Can anyone recommend a Hybrid that may encorporate the exploding transition, fast screen switching, allow use of BBM5 and still assure that my themes allow my alerts to work? Also... I am completely unsure of how these are loaded onto our phones so any help with that would be appreciated.
    Short answer- yes. BBcrackmans v7 and up have some transitions. Nothing as nice as 5.0 mind you, but they are there.

    Real answer-
    Well, unfortunately making hybrids using those features can become slightly complicated, since not all the modules are cross compatible. I made one feeble attempt at creating my own 5.0/whatever hybrid, and semi bricked my storm. Luckily all it took is a wipe to fix, but you never know what could go wrong. If you are comfortable enough, you can try making your own, but first i would download any version of bbcrackman's hybrid and act like your going to load it on your phone with loader.exe. once you get to the screen with all the check boxes, click on the top line (Blackberry core apps, or something.. theres 2 different ones, youll figure it out.) Then, click Details. under the modules tab, you will be able to see every module used and what version it was from. You can try swapping things around and figure out what works and what doesnt. I recommend you dont get greedy though, id try a few modules at a time so if it doesnt work you can find out what caused it not to. (some features require multiple modules to work). Good luck, and if you dont have it already, download JLCmder in case you need to do a wipe.

    Hope this answers your question

  8. #8
    Geners is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    PIN
    OCCHIO!! You ARE a real Boy!
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    46
    Liked
    0 times
    Here's another question someone may be able to answer. If I want to change ONLY the transition from the home screen that shows my background to the screen with the icon set. Do i just swap out a certain .cod file in the Java folder? I just loaded the OOAKDPC'S v7 Hybrid and like it alot. ( These Hybrid builders are GENIUSES ) Except that particular screen transition which, right now is a simple fade. While 5.0 was on my Storm I loved the exploding screen transition. Opening and closing apps with V7 gives us the explode/implode transition but would love that for my home screen as well. Any thoughts? Is there a tutorial out there that would aid a newbie in building his own hybrid?
    Last edited by Geners; 08-02-2009 at 07:26 PM.

  9. #9
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geners View Post
    Here's another question someone may be able to answer. If I want to change ONLY the transition from the home screen that shows my background to the screen with the icon set. Do i just swap out a certain .cod file in the Java folder? I just loaded the OOAKDPC'S v7 Hybrid and like it alot. ( These Hybrid builders are GENIUSES ) Except that particular screen transition which, right now is a simple fade. While 5.0 was on my Storm I loved the exploding screen transition. Opening and closing apps with V7 gives us the explode/implode transition but would love that for my home screen as well. Any thoughts? Is there a tutorial out there that would aid a newbie in building his own hybrid?
    I think it's quite a bit more involved than that.

  10. #10
    Geners is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    PIN
    OCCHIO!! You ARE a real Boy!
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.328
    Posts
    46
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    I think it's quite a bit more involved than that.

    I'm sure you're right. That's exactly WHY I'm asking the question. Would like to attempt to change this on my system but not sure just how difficult it is. Or even how to START a new hybrid. BBCrackman WHERE... ARE... YOU...!!!??? ( Pretend that's echoing like I'm lost in a deep, dark canyon of dispair ) mfg:

  11. #11
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geners View Post
    I'm sure you're right. That's exactly WHY I'm asking the question. Would like to attempt to change this on my system but not sure just how difficult it is. Or even how to START a new hybrid. BBCrackman WHERE... ARE... YOU...!!!??? ( Pretend that's echoing like I'm lost in a deep, dark canyon of dispair ) mfg:
    I hear that v8 may be in the air in a few days

  12. #12
    tank244's Avatar
    tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Posts
    229
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    I hear that v8 may be in the air in a few days
    Indeed----CAN'T WAIT! I hear there will be the perfect keyboard action we saw in 5.0.0.140 in this new hybrid. Gotta love BBC

  13. #13
    tank244's Avatar
    tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Posts
    229
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geners View Post
    Excuse me in advance if these questions are answered in previous threads.


    OK... So I've read a bunch about "Hybrids". Just from what I've read, I assume these are OS's created by people that incorporate the best features of many different OS varients. ( Correct? )

    I just loaded OS 5.0 on my storm. I like some of the features such as the app transition. It is like that of OS 4.7. 151 except alot more noticable and dramatic. I also like the quickness of the screen change from landscape to portrait and vice versa. FAST. However, I cannot get past the quirks that this leak has like no audible alerts ( Except using Precision Zen ) . SMS and MMS do not show. Visual alert is there but no message until battery pull. Etc...( You folks are well aware of its shortcomings by now )

    If I'm correct about what they actually are, Can anyone recommend a Hybrid that may encorporate the exploding transition, fast screen switching, allow use of BBM5 and still assure that my themes allow my alerts to work? Also... I am completely unsure of how these are loaded onto our phones so any help with that would be appreciated.

    Again, I appoligize if I'm asking questions already answered. I thank you all in advance for any help offered from the best damn BB forum around.
    BBCrackman Hybrids for me have always been the best --- and they are very easy to install. 7.1.4 - .151 is a great build. Look out for V8 -- I hear its coming sooN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  14. #14
    tech4hire's Avatar
    tech4hire is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow tech4hire On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lewis Center, OH
    PIN
    304CF3F6
    Device
    Storm (9530)
    OS
    5.0.0.607 Hybrid
    Posts
    92
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olta777 View Post
    I hear that v8 may be in the air in a few days
    Version 8??? What happened to 5, 6 and 7???
    - The Best Site for all your Blackberry Needs
    "You caught me...you caught the Tater" - Ron White
    Current OS:5.0.0.607 Hybrid Follow me on Twitter @tech4hire
    Help Center l MEMBER SUPPORT

  15. #15
    jpking's Avatar
    jpking is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow jpking On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.320
    Posts
    200
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tech4hire View Post
    Version 8??? What happened to 5, 6 and 7???
    according to your sig, you're running v7

  16. #16
    tech4hire's Avatar
    tech4hire is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow tech4hire On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lewis Center, OH
    PIN
    304CF3F6
    Device
    Storm (9530)
    OS
    5.0.0.607 Hybrid
    Posts
    92
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jpking View Post
    according to your sig, you're running v7
    Ok, my bad...must be an old age thing..LOL
    - The Best Site for all your Blackberry Needs
    "You caught me...you caught the Tater" - Ron White
    Current OS:5.0.0.607 Hybrid Follow me on Twitter @tech4hire
    Help Center l MEMBER SUPPORT

  17. #17
    tank244's Avatar
    tank244 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow tank244 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey... :-)
    Device
    Storm 2 9550
    OS
    Boring ol' .714 - at this point just waiting for OS 6
    Posts
    229
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jpking View Post
    according to your sig, you're running v7
    Indeed, I am running BBCrackman V7.1.4 - .151

    It is SOLID!!!! THe older versions came and went with the previous OS leaks---

    Because OS 5.0.0.140 leaked, I believe BBCrakman is working on a new hybrid (V8) due to this. He is in the testing mode right now and he said it is the best hybrid he's made so far. There are def some 5.0.0.140 files in this hybrid.


    CANT WAIT !!!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

  18. #18
    MadIrish76 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Device
    STORM
    OS
    4.7.148
    Posts
    26
    Liked
    0 times
    Was thinking about some of these...maybe i will just wait for v8....

  19. #19
    MadIrish76 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Device
    STORM
    OS
    4.7.148
    Posts
    26
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh yeah...thanks for the great screen shots/tutorial...I look forward to trying it out...

  20. #20
    dustin4863 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lubbock tx
    PIN
    304ceb10
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    who knows
    Posts
    65
    Liked
    0 times
    i have read this post plus others many time and i still can not get a hybrid to work my phone is a storm 9530 v 4.7.0.148 my computer is running vista 64 bit i don't know what the problem is can anyone help me!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •