BBM 5.0 Leaking Memory

Poll: Are you leaking more memory with the BBM 5.0 leak installed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: BBM 5.0 Leaking Memory

  1. #1
    aug0211 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    PIN
    PM me for it
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148/.151 Hybrid
    Posts
    79
    Liked
    0 times

    Exclamation BBM 5.0 Leaking Memory

    Hey everyone,

    Been reading all over, and searching, and I've found plenty of stuff relating to issues with the BBM 5.0 leak. But what I haven't found is people's reports of the memory stability on their device after installing the BBM 5.0 leak.

    My memory was awesome on the .151 leak before installing this BBM 5.0 leak... but after installing BBM 5.0, I have noticed a larger leak.

    Now, I do develop themes (: elle , so there's a possibility it could be the latest beta theme that I'm running - but I have about 20 people beta testing the new theme for me, and 1/2 of them report memory leak, while the other 1/2 says memory is not leaking. What's interesting is it SEEMS like most of the people leaking memory have the BBM 5.0 leak installed, and those with stable memory are still on the old BBM.

    I'm personally leaking memory, and I've got the BBM 5.0 leak installed.

    Just wondering what everyone else is seeing with this!

    Thx!




  2. #2
    Kris's Avatar
    Kris is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow Kris On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atwater, California,
    Posts
    1,507
    Liked
    1 times
    My memory hasn't cheanged one bit on my Tour

  3. #3
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Running on the Tour and memory is stable as a rock

    But I have been reading around and yes it seems to cause a leak on the Storm

  4. #4
    Seanren78's Avatar
    Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    9550
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Posts
    2,179
    Liked
    0 times
    I have noticed some memory leakage, but the leakage just seems standard for what it would normally be.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

  5. #5
    aug0211 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    PIN
    PM me for it
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148/.151 Hybrid
    Posts
    79
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Running on the Tour and memory is stable as a rock

    But I have been reading around and yes it seems to cause a leak on the Storm
    Thanks Bryan! Where did you find this? I'm not sure how I missed it with all the reading I've done today lol.

    Yes, I am on the Storm, so perhaps that's why I'm seeing the leak. Memory was solid for me on the 151 leak before, but after BBM 5.0, memory hasn't been great

  6. #6
    aug0211 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    PIN
    PM me for it
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148/.151 Hybrid
    Posts
    79
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanren78 View Post
    I have noticed some memory leakage, but the leakage just seems standard for what it would normally be.
    What OS are you on? I ask because "normal" leak for me on the 151 leak was pretty much nothing. But now with the new BBM on the 151 OS, I'm seeing leak like I used to on pre-151 OS's...

  7. #7
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aug0211 View Post
    Thanks Bryan! Where did you find this? I'm not sure how I missed it with all the reading I've done today lol.

    Yes, I am on the Storm, so perhaps that's why I'm seeing the leak. Memory was solid for me on the 151 leak before, but after BBM 5.0, memory hasn't been great
    Through tweets seems to once again to be hit and miss with the storms

  8. #8
    aug0211 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    PIN
    PM me for it
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148/.151 Hybrid
    Posts
    79
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Through tweets seems to once again to be hit and miss with the storms
    This phone is going to be the end of me, lol.

    Likely going to downgrade back to the old BBM to test out to see if I'm getting leak. I just can't understand why SOME storms get leak with BBM 5.0 and others don't!

  9. #9
    P3Designs's Avatar
    P3Designs is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow P3Designs On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    PIN
    ky Swear O
    Device
    Droid/Storm/Cur
    OS
    5.0.0.238
    Posts
    753
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Through tweets seems to once again to be hit and miss with the storms

    That is what a Storm does, hits you but misses the one next door. I think the storm memory management is poorly implemented.

    And on topic, I have not noticed a major leak with this program...I think people worry too much about the memory problem.

    I was at 42 MB last night....right now i'm at 39 MB. That is acceptable in my book.

  10. #10
    Seanren78's Avatar
    Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    9550
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Posts
    2,179
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aug0211 View Post
    What OS are you on? I ask because "normal" leak for me on the 151 leak was pretty much nothing. But now with the new BBM on the 151 OS, I'm seeing leak like I used to on pre-151 OS's...

    .151 is the leak that I am using. I notice more of a fluctuation of leakage where I can go +2 to -1. To me that seems to be normal. What other programs are you running on your phone. There could be another program or programs that may not be closing out correctly which could lead to your lost memory.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

  11. #11
    aug0211 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    PIN
    PM me for it
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148/.151 Hybrid
    Posts
    79
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by P3Designs View Post
    That is what a Storm does, hits you but misses the one next door. I think the storm memory management is poorly implemented.

    And on topic, I have not noticed a major leak with this program...I think people worry too much about the memory problem.

    I was at 42 MB last night....right now i'm at 39 MB. That is acceptable in my book.
    Ah, but that's the thing. A leak is misunderstood. Losing 3 mb overnight isn't a leak - that's normal caching of data, and it's OK. It's when a user loses like 22 mb in a day that it's an actual leak. The issue with this is that it impedes phone speed once you get low enough, causes messages to be deleted without your control, and can stop you from being able to install more apps if it gets low enough.

    Now, those concerns aren't that big for me - I use MeterBerry with scheduled resets every morning. But, I support a lot of theme users who DON'T use MeterBerry and don't do regular battery pulls (nor should they be expected to). So, if they're getting a huge leak, I need to know if I'm responsible for it - so I can fix the problem

    My hunch is that it's not my theme though, and it's actually the new BBM 5.0 leak. As I said before, losing a few mb here and there isn't horrible - but losing 10+ mb is kind of an issue, and it can spiral into something more serious... It's something that a lot of developers ignore and let users fend for themselves - but I'm trying my best to take care of my users and make sure that my themes are stable/safe for them to use without fear of losing valuable data (messages) due to memory leaks

    On top of that, I'm just curious if the bbm 5.0 leak is leaking memory for other people or just for me!

  12. #12
    aug0211 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    PIN
    PM me for it
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148/.151 Hybrid
    Posts
    79
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanren78 View Post
    .151 is the leak that I am using. I notice more of a fluctuation of leakage where I can go +2 to -1. To me that seems to be normal. What other programs are you running on your phone. There could be another program or programs that may not be closing out correctly which could lead to your lost memory.
    Thanks Seanren, your memory looks great - no leak there.

    The problem isn't isolated to my specific device, I'm more worried about the users I support than myself. Most of my users are over at CrackBerry, but to be honest, I know that good help is easier to find over here a lot of the time. We're still growing here, I know, and CB is bigger - but sometimes you've got to go with quality over quantity! Some of my users are from over here too, so if they see this thread, I hope they post!

    Anyway, I'm closing out of all of my apps correctly, and I haven't changed anything since my last "leak free" days on 151, EXCEPT for my new theme beta and BBM 5.0. I would have immediately said that the leak was from my theme since they commonly have leak issues - EXCEPT for my theme suite has been known to be very memory stable without any leaks... so I was skeptical to start... then of the roughly 20 users I had beta testing the theme, about 10 had leak, and 10 didn't have any leak. That's why I'm thinking it's got to be something else... on top of that, it seems like a lot of the users with leak (not all, but most) are running the BBM 5.0 leak, and a lot of the stable memory users are running the old BBM...

    Needless to say, it's a tad confusing.

    Oh, and just for fun, the apps I'm running are:
    • : elle : Custom Edition (by myself )
    • BBM 5.0 leak
    • Facebook
    • Google Maps
    • MeterBerry
    • Poynt
    • QuickLaunch
    • WeatherBerry


    The only apps running in the background are:
    Phone, WeatherBerry, Home Screen shortcut, BB Messenger, Browser, and Messages.

  13. #13
    Seanren78's Avatar
    Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    9550
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Posts
    2,179
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aug0211 View Post
    Thanks Seanren, your memory looks great - no leak there.

    The problem isn't isolated to my specific device, I'm more worried about the users I support than myself. Most of my users are over at CrackBerry, but to be honest, I know that good help is easier to find over here a lot of the time. We're still growing here, I know, and CB is bigger - but sometimes you've got to go with quality over quantity! Some of my users are from over here too, so if they see this thread, I hope they post!

    Anyway, I'm closing out of all of my apps correctly, and I haven't changed anything since my last "leak free" days on 151, EXCEPT for my new theme beta and BBM 5.0. I would have immediately said that the leak was from my theme since they commonly have leak issues - EXCEPT for my theme suite has been known to be very memory stable without any leaks... so I was skeptical to start... then of the roughly 20 users I had beta testing the theme, about 10 had leak, and 10 didn't have any leak. That's why I'm thinking it's got to be something else... on top of that, it seems like a lot of the users with leak (not all, but most) are running the BBM 5.0 leak, and a lot of the stable memory users are running the old BBM...

    Needless to say, it's a tad confusing.

    Oh, and just for fun, the apps I'm running are:
    • : elle : Custom Edition (by myself )
    • BBM 5.0 leak
    • Facebook
    • Google Maps
    • MeterBerry
    • Poynt
    • QuickLaunch
    • WeatherBerry


    The only apps running in the background are:
    Phone, WeatherBerry, Home Screen shortcut, BB Messenger, Browser, and Messages.
    facebook and google maps are known for the memory drain. Since you did not have any problems before I find this interesting. May be you should look to reinstall bbm 5.0. As you know each phone reacts differently and may be your phone just needs a fresh start with the program. I was initially having issues sending messages, but I looked for the re-install and have had no issues yet.
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

  14. #14
    aug0211 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    PIN
    PM me for it
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148/.151 Hybrid
    Posts
    79
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanren78 View Post
    facebook and google maps are known for the memory drain. Since you did not have any problems before I find this interesting. May be you should look to reinstall bbm 5.0. As you know each phone reacts differently and may be your phone just needs a fresh start with the program. I was initially having issues sending messages, but I looked for the re-install and have had no issues yet.
    Thanks Seanren. Yeah, I used to leak all the time on 148 and earlier (151 betas even), but the 151 radio had completely plugged up my leak... until this weekend, when BBM 5.0 came around.

    I think for now I'll just revert to the old BBM... see if memory is stable again... and then if it is after a few days, try a fresh install of the 5.0 leak and see how that goes.

  15. #15
    Seanren78's Avatar
    Seanren78 is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow Seanren78 On Twitter
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    PIN
    Ask Me
    Device
    9550
    OS
    Personalized Hybrid
    Posts
    2,179
    Liked
    0 times

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by aug0211 View Post
    Thanks Seanren. Yeah, I used to leak all the time on 148 and earlier (151 betas even), but the 151 radio had completely plugged up my leak... until this weekend, when BBM 5.0 came around.

    I think for now I'll just revert to the old BBM... see if memory is stable again... and then if it is after a few days, try a fresh install of the 5.0 leak and see how that goes.
    Sounds like a plan. Anything additional please feel free to pm me. Best of luck with the reinstall!
    Driphter.com Co-Owner

  16. #16
    Prevlin's Avatar
    Prevlin is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5
    Posts
    34
    Liked
    0 times
    I havent noticed a memory leak w/ BBM 5.0 its been installed since friday and ive been staying between 36 and 37 mb havent dropped below that

  17. #17
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    BBM 5.0 has no effect on the Tour.

  18. #18
    Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Posts
    3,385
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    BBM 5.0 has no effect on the Tour.
    Me either, really enjoying it

  19. #19
    aug0211 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    PIN
    PM me for it
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .148/.151 Hybrid
    Posts
    79
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks everyone!

  20. #20
    P3Designs's Avatar
    P3Designs is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow P3Designs On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    PIN
    ky Swear O
    Device
    Droid/Storm/Cur
    OS
    5.0.0.238
    Posts
    753
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aug0211 View Post
    Ah, but that's the thing. A leak is misunderstood. Losing 3 mb overnight isn't a leak - that's normal caching of data, and it's OK. It's when a user loses like 22 mb in a day that it's an actual leak. The issue with this is that it impedes phone speed once you get low enough, causes messages to be deleted without your control, and can stop you from being able to install more apps if it gets low enough.

    Now, those concerns aren't that big for me - I use MeterBerry with scheduled resets every morning. But, I support a lot of theme users who DON'T use MeterBerry and don't do regular battery pulls (nor should they be expected to). So, if they're getting a huge leak, I need to know if I'm responsible for it - so I can fix the problem

    My hunch is that it's not my theme though, and it's actually the new BBM 5.0 leak. As I said before, losing a few mb here and there isn't horrible - but losing 10+ mb is kind of an issue, and it can spiral into something more serious... It's something that a lot of developers ignore and let users fend for themselves - but I'm trying my best to take care of my users and make sure that my themes are stable/safe for them to use without fear of losing valuable data (messages) due to memory leaks

    On top of that, I'm just curious if the bbm 5.0 leak is leaking memory for other people or just for me!
    Meterberry is a known leaker of memory just for starters, and a few lost MBs here and there are not too serious. I was just showing that I am running BBM 5.0 with no loss of memory.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •