Interesting Memory Leak Solution??

Thread: Interesting Memory Leak Solution??

C6StingRay is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow C6StingRay On Twitter
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times

Interesting Memory Leak Solution??

I'm at my computer 8 to 5, Monday thru Friday, so I don't use my Storm during the day much....which allows the dreaded "memory leak" (I know....not supposed to be paying attention to that) to take over my phone.....

Regular use of your Storm is one of the best ways to recover that memory, but I will see my memory drop to around 20 mb since I'm not on it much while at work...I've discovered (by accident) that by leaving Bluetooth on all day it seems to simulate "use" and will stabilize my memory numbers throughout the day.....I know Bluetooth kills some peoples battery life, but so far that has not been an issue for me.....

I've tested this out on both One of a Kind's .148 Hybrid (no .151 files) and with the latest .151 OS.....I have also subscribed to the once a day batt pull/device reset method of keeping my Storm running smoothly....the combination of that along with leaving Bluetooth on constantly leaves my memory numbers in the mid-30's all day.....in addition I have the following apps on my Storm, which I could never even think of doing before:

Talklock
    Meterberry (of course)
    Poynt
    Visual Voicemail
    fone book
    Ubertwitter
    Facebook
    Superpages
    Google Maps
    App World
    Quick Launch
    Shazaam
    You Tube
    Air Traffic Control
    Brickbreaker
    Storm Slots
    Tiltris

Since everyone's Storms react differently to just about everything it seems, I'm sure that this won't work for everyone....for the time being it is working great on mine and has allowed me to install the software I really want to use, rather than having to keep it "bare bones" just to keep it lag free....If your battery can handle it, run that Bluetooth!

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Interesting C6 I can actually see how this make sense. Thanks for posting and I would be interested in what others finding on this are.

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    8 times
    Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000 )

That's a good idea, the reason why the Bluetooth doesn't kill the battery is because is let say in "stand by" since is on but not making any connections...
    BlackBerry by Choice!

Ukyo is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Ukyo On Twitter
    PIN
    304934F6
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    v8 (.151 base)
    Liked
    0 times
    With a straight .151 shrinked, I'm not seeing any substantial memory leak at all. For whatever reason I left my bluetooth off after install the .151 firmware and while my battery life has a taken a dip, I notice little to no memory leak. I'm still at around 40MB after 2 days... I have the following apps always running in the background:

Smrtguard
    VisualArts
    BerryWeather
    BeeJive beta 1.9.5 (I've always suspected this app to be the memory hog and leak)

Ha! I've just checked my memory to see what was running and somehow, MeterBerry reported I just got back around 1.1MB of memory leaving the total available memory at 41.8MB as I write this. :P

C6StingRay is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow C6StingRay On Twitter
    Device
    Motorola Droid
    OS
    Android 2.0
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000 )

That's a good idea, the reason why the Bluetooth doesn't kill the battery is because is let say in "stand by" since is on but not making any connections...

I think you're right e.....

I'm not using a bluetooth earpiece or speaker unless I get in my car, so I'm sure it is simply "standby" mode.....good reason for not blowing the battery....

My main reason for writing this was that I really want to be able to use a good range of apps, rather than strip it down just to be able to keep the memory reasonable....I am also impressed with the latest .151 OS....I think that is helping with the numbers as well....

smcoldbb is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow smcoldbb On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (storm 9530)

That makes a lot of sense.

E makes a great point also. I leave mine on but when I have a connection with the headset I do see a bigger battery drain then without.
    Bellshare - Premium Blackberry Apps

HarlyFan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    It on the JACKASS!
    Device
    9530 Storm 9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.530 by Lyricidal
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had very stable memory as well with .151 but will also try the bluetooth idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

Le0_Br4zuC4 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    30FB551F
    Device
    BlackBerry Stor
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmmmm ... Let's see.... Ok! Memory and Battery are only affected when you’re using the Bluetooth connection with another device, if you only have it on stand by it won’t make any difference! Now if you have the Bluetooth on and your Bluetooth discoverable mode ON then yes, it will use more battery and memory!

Follow me on Twiter
    [/URL][/CENTER][/SIZE]
    Le0_Br4zUc4 - BlackBerry Storm 2 9550 Running 5.0.0.428